1345 users online (276 members and 1069 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Molly Ivins Dies at Age 62

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- Best-selling author and columnist Molly Ivins, the sharp-witted liberal who skewered the political establishment and referred to President Bush as "Shrub," died Wednesday after a long battle with breast cancer. She was 62.

David Pasztor, managing editor of the Texas Observer, confirmed her death.

[img]http://www.*********.com/images/2007/1/31/D8N0J0FO0/D8N0J0FO0_preview.jpg[/img] The writer, who made a living poking fun at Texas politicians, whether they were in her home base of Austin or the White House, revealed in early 2006 that she was being treated for breast cancer for the third time.

Her death saddens me... she was wonderfully witty and had a great way with words.

Me, too. It seems as if I've been reading her columns forever.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTexas
    Her death saddens me... she was wonderfully witty and had a great way with words.
    I agree. I loved her sense of humor and enjoyed reading her columns. She died way too young. I didn't realize she had breast cancer.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

I didn't either, LJWF. And she had it three times. I guess when it came back this last time, the writing was on the wall. Very sad. She leaves behind a wonderful legacy of political humor that will stand up well against the test of time.

Oh, no! Molly Ivins had actual wit (which is humor combined with truth)! Very, very rare indeed!

I've read her for years and loved her. Would loved to have known her..........
    Too young to die............

May She Rest in Peace!
    Lord................Molly was funny!

xxxxxxxxxxoooooo
    mama

Quote Originally Posted by Love_Mama
    I've read her for years and loved her. Would loved to have known her..........
    Too young to die............

May She Rest in Peace!
    Lord................Molly was funny!

xxxxxxxxxxoooooo
    mama
    God, wouldn't a Girls' Night Out with Molly have been a hoot?
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ljwf22
    God, wouldn't a Girls' Night Out with Molly have been a hoot?
    Yeah, but why should us guys be excluded?

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Yeah, but why should us guys be excluded?

Girl, you know you could come with!

Can you think of any other columnist who can write like Molly? Who could possibly replace her?

Maureen Dowd is good, but nobody compares to Molly. There will definitely be a void.

She had inflammatory breast cancer - which is a real bugger.

I didn't realize until reading her biography that her father killed himself when he had cancer.

Otherwise, she grew up in River Oaks, Houston and was well educated. (Smith College). She worked at alot of major newspapers before coming back to Texas to write.

Boy, I'll miss her honest, witty and spot -on writing.

Unhappy

This is so sad! I love her wit. I'd recently read that she put her column on hold due to breast cancer treatment, but I didn't know it was so far advanced. They ran her columns this month! Ellen Goodman is a possible replacement, but not as funny as Molly. RIP Molly, you'll be missed by us Liberals!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

I'm not a liberal nor anything else - just a person - and I will miss her wit.

Rest In Peace, Molly.
    Last edited by JanetElaine; 02-02-2007 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo

Here's a nice article in the Washington Post, by Maya Angelou, on Molly.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020101909.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast