1194 users online (223 members and 971 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Texas Rep. trying to fine/jail parents for not attending teacher meetings

If this passes, I may go to jail in protest. I quit going to meetings this year because I am already protesting something else. I do send a note requesting phone meetings at their convenience, but they never called. Texas lawmakers are getting ridiculous.

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories...20107064.shtml

Proposed bill: Big trouble if you miss teacher meeting
    BY JIM VERTUNO
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

AUSTIN - Texas parents beware: miss a meeting with your child's teacher and it could cost you a $500 fine and a criminal record.

A Republican state lawmaker from Baytown has filed a bill that would charge parents of public school students with a Class C misdemeanor and fine them for playing hooky from a scheduled parent-teacher conference.

Excuses are allowed, but be prepared to have a good one. In a state that allows corporal punishment, this could subject parents to a good spanking.

Rep. Wayne Smith said Wednesday he wants to get parents involved in their child's education.

"I think it helps the kids for the parents and teachers to communicate. That's all the intent was," Smith said, adding he talked to teachers, including his daughter, who teaches in junior high, before filing the bill.
    Last edited by Jeana (DP); 02-02-2007 at 10:35 AM.

If this is going to be enforced, teachers should be required to make these appointments when and where it is convenient for parents! As a teacher in a low income area, I held meetings at homes, libraries, supermarket parking lots, etc. . ., at times when the parents could make it. This was, in some cases EARLY in the morning (after night shift) or LATE in the day/night (after second shift). These politicians need to get a grip on the fact that Joe Public does not work a 9-5 job that he/she can leave on a whim! (Yes, I know these conferences are important, BUT employers many times disagree! Keeping food on the tables and roofs over the heads of these kids is vital!)
    ARRRRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!!

lol--dumbest thing i ever heard,jailing and fining parents for not going to scheduled PTA meetings--sounds rather communist: you WILL be at the next party meeting lol

While I can understand the spirit of the proposed law, I really don't think this is the right way to go about it and would never support it. It is true that a lot of parents need to be more involved in their children's educations. (I understand that for a lot of people, the meetings are often at inconvenient times.) Far too often, I have seen that some parents see school as a free babysitter and that they need not be involved in the affairs of their children at school. When I say this, I 'm talking about a lot of experiences from junior high and high school. Junior was skipping class for 2 weeks straight and Mom and Dad just said, "Oh no! Not MY son."
    Please read up on the murder of Dr. David Cornbleet here: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45720

Insanity! Every public school story makes me so glad I don't have to deal with them.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hamilton
    lol--dumbest thing i ever heard,jailing and fining parents for not going to scheduled PTA meetings--sounds rather communist: you WILL be at the next party meeting lol
    I believe the misguided congressman means parent-teacher conferences, not PTA. With No Child Left Behind, there is pressure to get 100% compliance, but this is NOT the way to achieve that. I predict this bill will never make it out of committee.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

A parent/teacher conference is only required when the student is failing or about to fail. If a parent isn't willing to come into school to try and figure out why their child can't pass their subjects, then I believe they do need to be fined.

Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    A parent/teacher conference is only required when the student is failing or about to fail. If a parent isn't willing to come into school to try and figure out why their child can't pass their subjects, then I believe they do need to be fined.
    Not at my school. We have three parent-teacher conferences per year. If kids are failing we talk to them as soon as there's trouble. But yes, some parents (very few, by the way) don't come at all........
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. ~ Mark Twain

I communicate with my kids teachers via e-mail and that should count for something. So what if you can't make it to the meeting? E-mail is the next best thing and I'm sure every teacher has an e-mail address.

Thumbs up

This makes me so glad that I'm child-free.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf
    I communicate with my kids teachers via e-mail and that should count for something. So what if you can't make it to the meeting? E-mail is the next best thing and I'm sure every teacher has an e-mail address.
    It does. Any one-on-one communication counts: phone, in person, e-mail. Believe me, this congressman is looking for publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by ljwf22
    Not at my school. We have three parent-teacher conferences per year. If kids are failing we talk to them as soon as there's trouble. But yes, some parents (very few, by the way) don't come at all........

Thanks for the info. Are you in Texas? I think that's the state they're talking about. That's where we are.

There would be SO many lawsuits challenging the Constitionality of this bill when it passed it would make your head spin!

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Not here Jeana - we have two a year no matter what.
    We walk, and our true character is shown in how we
    walk. Living in this world means choosing, and
    the way we choose to walk is infallibly and
    perfectly expressed in the walk itself.

WWBD?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast