'baby'

JMO8778

..at the beach!
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows if use of the word 'baby' in ref. to an older deceased child is indicative of guilt? I noticed PR used that word in reference to JB a lot,and so did Darlie Routier,for both of her boys,even though all of the victims were school-aged,not babies,and not even toddlers or pre-school age.
I remember in the Susan Smith case, the FBI said of mothers who kill their children,they tend to be found wrapped in plastic or put in water...a sort of subconciuos 'sending them back to the womb' I guess..a denial of killing,just sending them back to an earlier time in their minds,I suppose.
So that made me wonder if use of the word 'baby' a lot points to an indication of guilt? Anyone know,or any thoughts??

JMO8778 said:
I was wondering if anyone knows if use of the word 'baby' in ref. to an older deceased child is indicative of guilt? I noticed PR used that word in reference to JB a lot,and so did Darlie Routier,for both of her boys,even though all of the victims were school-aged,not babies,and not even toddlers or pre-school age.
I remember in the Susan Smith case, the FBI said of mothers who kill their children,they tend to be found wrapped in plastic or put in water...a sort of subconciuos 'sending them back to the womb' I guess..a denial of killing,just sending them back to an earlier time in their minds,I suppose.
So that made me wonder if use of the word 'baby' a lot points to an indication of guilt? Anyone know,or any thoughts??
I am not sure that this means anything. Alot of us mothers in the southern part of the US call our kids "baby". To this day, I refer to my 15 yr old as my baby, cuz she is my youngest. It is just a form of endearment in my family. Not sure about anyone else.

Good Question!! I like your posts..they are always interesting.:clap:

Yeah, my almost 17 year old boy is still "baby", even though he also has a 2 year old sister who's called "baby" as well, LOL.

That is an intriguing question, though!

Lisahas2cats said:
Yeah, my almost 17 year old boy is still "baby", even though he also has a 2 year old sister who's called "baby" as well, LOL.

That is an intriguing question, though!

I still call my 25 year old son baby...as he'll always be my baby.

santos1014 said:
I am not sure that this means anything. Alot of us mothers in the southern part of the US call our kids "baby". To this day, I refer to my 15 yr old as my baby, cuz she is my youngest. It is just a form of endearment in my family. Not sure about anyone else.

Good Question!! I like your posts..they are always interesting.:clap:
Hey santos:). My 19 year old daughter is still my baby, too. It is a term of endearment for me, also.

Lion

LionRun said:
Hey santos:). My 19 year old daughter is still my baby, too. It is a term of endearment for me, also.

Lion
As it is with most folks. I don't have children but I can bet that if I did, my kids would always be my babies no matter how old they were. :)

I have wondered about the use of "baby" or "babies" when a mother is reporting her child(ren) dead, missing, etc. and is actually the guilty party. Since it is considered a term of endearment, I wonder if the guilty mother is trying to sound like such a good mommy that she couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the killing of her baby or babies....an attempt at not being considered a suspect.

That is interesting. I'm from the south and 37 years old. My mother still calls me baby girl. "Baby" is definitely used as a term of endearment.

I don't know about "baby"....but....I think that a mother that calls their murdered daughter..."THAT child"....is guiltier than sin. Another use of THAT...was Bill Clinton..."I did NOT have sex with THAT woman". (Talking about Monica Lewinski...for those of you that have been under a rock for the last 10 - 15 years...LOL)

Ames said:
I don't know about "baby"....but....I think that a mother that calls their murdered daughter..."THAT child"....is guiltier than sin. Another use of THAT...was Bill Clinton..."I did NOT have sex with THAT woman". (Talking about Monica Lewinski...for those of you that have been under a rock for the last 10 - 15 years...LOL)
good one,I recall that.
And thx everyone.I'm from (and still in) the south too,so I understand about it being a term of endearment;what makes me wonder though,is the fact that PR and Darlie both repeatedly ref. to their murdered children as babies..so I was JW if there could be any connection in the way they talk,and the way children who were killed by their mothers tend to be found..in water or wrapped in plastic.
I think the scenerio needed to stage this crime wasn't conducive to either,so JB was instead wrapped in the blanket,like a baby.(next best thing, in the killer's mind?).
I know it was said that no one but a parent or someone close to JB would have left her that way.

She's 41 and her daddy still calls her baby

All the folks around Brownsville say she's crazy.

Sorry, folks! I couldn't resist!

SuperDave said:
She's 41 and her daddy still calls her baby

All the folks around Brownsville say she's crazy.

Sorry, folks! I couldn't resist!
ROFL ! Delta Dawn..where is that chick now anyway??

Great...now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day! :D

I used to sing that alllll the time when I was 4, much to my parents' amusement, lol.

I just read a book on Taylor Behl's murder and abduction written by her mother. In it she calls Taylor her baby repeatedly. I think many mothers think of their kids as babies no matter how old. I do find Patsy's use of "that child" strange though.

simplesimon said:
I just read a book on Taylor Behl's murder and abduction written by her mother. In it she calls Taylor her baby repeatedly. I think many mothers think of their kids as babies no matter how old. I do find Patsy's use of "that child" strange though.
Baby does not bother me. THAT child. Infuriates me. I also have family in the South. .... If Atlanta counts and they picked up on That child. As usually when That child or That husband or That neighbor or That is used displeasure is the motivation. Other than that its MY baby.........MY MY MY....not our daughter. MYdaugher etc.

coloradokares said:
Baby does not bother me. THAT child. Infuriates me. I also have family in the South. .... If Atlanta counts and they picked up on That child. As usually when That child or That husband or That neighbor or That is used displeasure is the motivation. Other than that its MY baby.........MY MY MY....not our daughter. MYdaugher etc.
That is weird,it sounds like she blames JB,like it's her own fault someone murdered her(geez,wonder why ..I mean,as in,likely a parent is guilty in that case and is trying to justify it....)..not that baby makes me mad..just that maybe it's suspect,since I kept reading that she said it a lot,as did Darlie as well.

JMO8778 said:
ROFL ! Delta Dawn..where is that chick now anyway??
Probably died from some sort of sexually transmitted disease...you guys DO know that song is about a prostitute....right? LOL

Ames said:
Probably died from some sort of sexually transmitted disease...you guys DO know that song is about a prostitute....right? LOL
thx,I didn't,last I heard about it was Helen Reddy wasn't saying who it was about.
I still wonder who Carly Simon wrote 'You're So Vain' about.Last I heard she only let one person know.I think it was the winner of some sort of charity auction.

i think "baby" and "that child" are common to the south as terms of endearment in the one case and specific reference in the other. after having heard these terms used for years in everyday conversation i do not put too much weight on the way they were used by patsy (or darlie, etc).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back