1030 users online (209 members and 821 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

4 Yr. Old Kept From Pre-K Because Of Pink Hair

Unbelievable!

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/met....417c0402.html

Girl, 4, kept out of school for pink hair

Web Posted: 02/02/2007 01:21 AM CST

Drew Rosegen
    KENS 5 Eyewitness News

A 4-year-old Uvalde girl was banned from her pre-school because of her hair color. (more at link)
    Last edited by White Rain; 02-02-2007 at 08:42 PM.

This is absolutely ludicrous. If I read the article correctly, it stated that her haid was dyed pink for a school function a while back?

Making a huge deal out of something like this only serves to make it more attractive to children, IMO.

I don't see the big deal...she might be a distraction for a day or two and then everyone would be used to it.

Natalyn is a pretty name.

I can't get the link to work, and doing a search for the headline pulls up another link (From the same site, mysanantonio) I can't get to work. Would you by chance, happen to have a different source link please?

Quote Originally Posted by amandab
    This is absolutely ludicrous. If I read the article correctly, it stated that her haid was dyed pink for a school function a while back?

Making a huge deal out of something like this only serves to make it more attractive to children, IMO.
    She originally had it dyed back in October and then repinked it over Christmas.
    I don't know, I think teaching this girl to go to school with pink hair is a bit of an odd move on the part of the father.
    Our school has dress and hair codes and so I respect that.
    I think it is silly that a father would have his kindergarten aged daughter wear pink hair.
    I let my kids do all kinds of goofy stuff with their hair, during the summer. but I thought they needed to be more respectful and less distracting during the school year. Once they were 18 they could do whatever they wanted.

This is ridiculous! People are so intolerant and judgemental on things. Geez its a freaking hair color! It can be dyed back at anytime. I can think of other things that are much worse that I have seen on little children. I bet my bleached blonde days looked much worse lol

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn2004
    This is ridiculous! People are so intolerant and judgemental on things. Geez its a freaking hair color! It can be dyed back at anytime. I can think of other things that are much worse that I have seen on little children. I bet my bleached blonde days looked much worse lol
    Heehee I have seen some pretty nasty hair color jobs in my day that should be banned from somewhere..lol.
    Would you dye your little girls hair pink for school randomly? Don't you think it is odd that he did?

I wouldnt personally suggest it but I can completely see my daughter wanting it. Her favorite colors are pink and purple and she loves the flashy shiny stuff. My mother would throw a fit lol she never believed in letting her children decide anything for themselves. I might do it just to get her goat lol.

But seriously, I see it as a small thing same way of when I was in high school and ruined brand new jeans with holes in the knees or kids having mullets in the 80's. Its not permanent and it can always be changed. The bigger stuff like tattoo's or piercings would have to wait for her age of consent but I would want to go with her to make sure it was clean and it was somebody we knew who would do a good job and make sure its an area that can be covered up. I believe if you push your kids too much over the small stuff they rebel as adults.

I wouldnt personally suggest it but I can completely see my daughter wanting it. Her favorite colors are pink and purple and she loves the flashy shiny stuff. My mother would throw a fit lol she never believed in letting her children decide anything for themselves. I might do it just to get her goat lol.

But seriously, I see it as a small thing same way of when I was in high school and ruined brand new jeans with holes in the knees or kids having mullets in the 80's. Its not permanent and it can always be changed. The bigger stuff like tattoo's or piercings would have to wait for her age of consent but I would want to go with her to make sure it was clean and it was somebody we knew who would do a good job and make sure its an area that can be covered up. I believe if you push your kids too much over the small stuff they rebel as adults.
    I hear ya. Like I said, my kids could do anything they wanted to their hair... over the summer.
    But I think that since pink hair would not be allowed in our local schools, then it would be wrong to lead the girl to believe she can wear it in pre-k. She's only 4, she doesn;t know what the rules are and it is up to her parents to teach her. In this case it is not allowed at her school,so I would recommend finding one that allows it if it is important to wear pink hair or getting with the program.
    Even if my kids want to challenge a rule, there are appropriate and inapproiate ways to do it. I think teaching this little girl at 4 that she doesn;t have to follow the rule "just cuz" is not a good message. JMHO of course!

Just to clarify, I couldn't care less about pink hair, i am looking at the more global issue here, which is if she should be able to ignore the rule.

I think they should argue that her hair is naturally pink.
    We walk, and our true character is shown in how we
    walk. Living in this world means choosing, and
    the way we choose to walk is infallibly and
    perfectly expressed in the walk itself.

WWBD?

My mother would throw a fit lol she never believed in letting her children decide anything for themselves. I might do it just to get her goat lol.
    HA! haha

WWBD?

Quote Originally Posted by Jessiebell
    I think they should argue that her hair is naturally pink.
    Now you're talking. that would be a great debate. Would she be allowed to wear her hair pink if it was her natural color? Can they force her to dye it? I like your story better.

Quote Originally Posted by KatK
    I can't get the link to work, and doing a search for the headline pulls up another link (From the same site, mysanantonio) I can't get to work. Would you by chance, happen to have a different source link please?
    try this link:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,249918,00.html

Im for following rules but I also believe in fighting to change them also. Personally, I think its one of those rules that are above and beyond what is needed. I see two situations possibly happening- One, she will be made fun of and want to get rid of it, or Two after a few days of wearing it it will become boring and she'll want to go back. Big issue with parents thoughts and the schools thoughts is a whole school full of pink haired kids lol!

It just really hit home that this was a FATHER that did this. LOL My husband would totally not think about the school having a problem with it. Maybe it's because he's an artist AND a guy (because I'm an artist - but I understand that school doesn't want any pink hair) but he'd never even consider it.

He'd not tell her to rebel against the rules though - after I laughed and asked him what school planet he lived on.

WWBD?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast