4 Yr. Old Kept From Pre-K Because Of Pink Hair

This is absolutely ludicrous. If I read the article correctly, it stated that her haid was dyed pink for a school function a while back?

Making a huge deal out of something like this only serves to make it more attractive to children, IMO.

I don't see the big deal...she might be a distraction for a day or two and then everyone would be used to it.

Natalyn is a pretty name.

I can't get the link to work, and doing a search for the headline pulls up another link (From the same site, mysanantonio) I can't get to work. Would you by chance, happen to have a different source link please? :waitasec: :confused:

amandab said:
This is absolutely ludicrous. If I read the article correctly, it stated that her haid was dyed pink for a school function a while back?

Making a huge deal out of something like this only serves to make it more attractive to children, IMO.
She originally had it dyed back in October and then repinked it over Christmas.
I don't know, I think teaching this girl to go to school with pink hair is a bit of an odd move on the part of the father.
Our school has dress and hair codes and so I respect that.
I think it is silly that a father would have his kindergarten aged daughter wear pink hair.
I let my kids do all kinds of goofy stuff with their hair, during the summer. but I thought they needed to be more respectful and less distracting during the school year. Once they were 18 they could do whatever they wanted.

This is ridiculous! People are so intolerant and judgemental on things. Geez its a freaking hair color! It can be dyed back at anytime. I can think of other things that are much worse that I have seen on little children. I bet my bleached blonde days looked much worse lol

Autumn2004 said:
This is ridiculous! People are so intolerant and judgemental on things. Geez its a freaking hair color! It can be dyed back at anytime. I can think of other things that are much worse that I have seen on little children. I bet my bleached blonde days looked much worse lol
Heehee I have seen some pretty nasty hair color jobs in my day that should be banned from somewhere..lol.
Would you dye your little girls hair pink for school randomly? Don't you think it is odd that he did?

I wouldnt personally suggest it but I can completely see my daughter wanting it. Her favorite colors are pink and purple and she loves the flashy shiny stuff. My mother would throw a fit lol she never believed in letting her children decide anything for themselves. I might do it just to get her goat lol.

But seriously, I see it as a small thing same way of when I was in high school and ruined brand new jeans with holes in the knees or kids having mullets in the 80's. Its not permanent and it can always be changed. The bigger stuff like tattoo's or piercings would have to wait for her age of consent but I would want to go with her to make sure it was clean and it was somebody we knew who would do a good job and make sure its an area that can be covered up. I believe if you push your kids too much over the small stuff they rebel as adults.

Autumn2004 said:
I wouldnt personally suggest it but I can completely see my daughter wanting it. Her favorite colors are pink and purple and she loves the flashy shiny stuff. My mother would throw a fit lol she never believed in letting her children decide anything for themselves. I might do it just to get her goat lol.

But seriously, I see it as a small thing same way of when I was in high school and ruined brand new jeans with holes in the knees or kids having mullets in the 80's. Its not permanent and it can always be changed. The bigger stuff like tattoo's or piercings would have to wait for her age of consent but I would want to go with her to make sure it was clean and it was somebody we knew who would do a good job and make sure its an area that can be covered up. I believe if you push your kids too much over the small stuff they rebel as adults.
I hear ya. Like I said, my kids could do anything they wanted to their hair... over the summer.
But I think that since pink hair would not be allowed in our local schools, then it would be wrong to lead the girl to believe she can wear it in pre-k. She's only 4, she doesn;t know what the rules are and it is up to her parents to teach her. In this case it is not allowed at her school,so I would recommend finding one that allows it if it is important to wear pink hair or getting with the program.
Even if my kids want to challenge a rule, there are appropriate and inapproiate ways to do it. I think teaching this little girl at 4 that she doesn;t have to follow the rule "just cuz" is not a good message. JMHO of course!

Just to clarify, I couldn't care less about pink hair, i am looking at the more global issue here, which is if she should be able to ignore the rule.

Autumn2004 said:
My mother would throw a fit lol she never believed in letting her children decide anything for themselves. I might do it just to get her goat lol.
HA! haha

Jessiebell said:
I think they should argue that her hair is naturally pink. :D
Now you're talking. that would be a great debate. Would she be allowed to wear her hair pink if it was her natural color? Can they force her to dye it? I like your story better.

Im for following rules but I also believe in fighting to change them also. Personally, I think its one of those rules that are above and beyond what is needed. I see two situations possibly happening- One, she will be made fun of and want to get rid of it, or Two after a few days of wearing it it will become boring and she'll want to go back. Big issue with parents thoughts and the schools thoughts is a whole school full of pink haired kids lol!

It just really hit home that this was a FATHER that did this. LOL My husband would totally not think about the school having a problem with it. Maybe it's because he's an artist AND a guy (because I'm an artist - but I understand that school doesn't want any pink hair) but he'd never even consider it.

He'd not tell her to rebel against the rules though - after I laughed and asked him what school planet he lived on.

Autumn2004 said:
Im for following rules but I also believe in fighting to change them also. Personally, I think its one of those rules that are above and beyond what is needed. I see two situations possibly happening- One, she will be made fun of and want to get rid of it, or Two after a few days of wearing it it will become boring and she'll want to go back. Big issue with parents thoughts and the schools thoughts is a whole school full of pink haired kids lol!
I am all for fighting to change the rules. but I don;t think blatantly ignoring them is the right way. Get a petition, go to the school board, whatever it takes. But to just disregard is teaching her the wrong thing IMO.
He could teach her a really valuable lesson about authority and how to properly challenge it. but instead he is letting her violate the rules before they have actively tried to change them.
he's gonna be sorry when she's a pre teen.:D

Autumn2004 said:
Can kids in High School have weird colored hair? Seems like a lot of high school aged kids walk around the mall with different colors.

I think they should be able to also. But then in art school - I had every color at some point.

There are kids at my high school with all kinds of colored hair -- green, purple, two-toned.

It's ridiculous that the little girl can't have pink hair. She can have pink hair when she grows up; why not when she's four? What could it possibly hurt?

I feel bad for the girl too, I wonder if her dad is trying to make a statement instead of her since it sounds like she wants to go back to school and probably misses her friends and I dont agree with that. Also I wouldnt have gone about the way he did either I would address the school board.

I know our middle school and high school allow colored hair, I see alot of kids with it but we are a small community. We do have flexible rules on many things though. Just no belly shirts, see through clothes, racist or political statements, piercings other than ears and no short shorts.

Personally I would rather my kid experiment with hair colors in high school for a few reasons than when they were older. At that age its important for them to feel they "fit in" as self esteem usually isnt the best at that age and they do not want to be different usually. Also when they are older it can effect jobs. Me and dh have two friends who are nice guys, christians and very much out there dealing with the public in an authoritative position. They both have tattoos on their arms and have to wear long sleeved shirts to cover them up. You would never know they have that much body art. They would be judged highly if they did show it.

Mr. E said:
There are kids at my high school with all kinds of colored hair -- green, purple, two-toned.

It's ridiculous that the little girl can't have pink hair. She can have pink hair when she grows up; why not when she's four? What could it possibly hurt?
It wouldn;t hurt anything. but it is not allowed.
Change the rules, get a group of parents together.

I also noticed the father refers to her inability to wear pink hair as ABUSIVE. GMAB.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer
Back