WA WA - Sofia Juarez, 5, Kennewick, 3 Feb 2003

IT'S BEEN 2 YEARS... :(
SOFIA LUCERNO JUAREZ
Case Type: Lost, Injured, Missing
DOB: Feb 5, 1998 Sex: Female
Missing Date: Feb 4, 2003 Race: White/Hisp
Age Now: 6 Height: 3'0" (91 cm)
Missing City: KENNEWICK Weight: 33 lbs (15 kg)
Missing State : WA Hair Color: Brown
Missing Country: United States Eye Color: Brown
Case Number: NCMC954908
Circumstances: Sofia's photo is shown age-progressed to 7 years. She was last known to be playing in her bedroom. Shortly after 9 p.m. on February 4, 2003 she walked out of the bedroom and has not been seen or heard from since. Sofia has a mole under her left eye and at the time she disappeared her four top front teeth were missing. She was last seen wearing blue overalls, a red shirt, violet socks and white shoes.

I wonder what happened to this beautiful little girl? I mean it is like she just vanished into thin air. Her case has always bothered me. Something just doesn't seem quite right.

I don't understand how she could have "walked out of her bedroom" and gone missing??? Wouldn't she have had to "walk out of the house"????? We're they having a party or ?????

She didn't walk out of her bedroom and disappear -- I don't know why the poster says that. Her grandmother's boyfriend was going to the store and Sofia asked permission to come. Sofia's mom said she could go, and gave her some money, then everyone assumed she'd gone to the store. But then the grandmother's boyfriend came back without her and said he hadn't seen her. They think she walked out of her house and was abducted. I have the details here:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/j/juarez_sofia.html

Little Sofia's disappearence doesn't seem to matter anymore. Except to those of us who live in the community she is missing from. Why isn't she listed on the Missing and Exploited web page? Her family isn't rich by any means and they can't get the type of coverage the Smarts did when Elizabeth was abducted. Something needs to be done. She needs to be placed in the National spotlight again 3 days coverage and two years later the Kennewick detective working the case is no closer than the night she disappeared.

http://www.childseeknetwork.com/?archive=98

(Search For Sofia Juarez Leads To Prosser Farm July 6, 2005 By Bryan Johnson They searched an area behind a farm after a tip from a drug informant indicated she might have been buried there, but search came up empty so far. BENTON COUNTY - Detectives from Kennewick were joined Wednesday by investigators from the Benton County coroner's office and a forensic anthropologist from the King County Medical Examiner's office in a search of a farm near Prosser. The group is searching for a 5-year-old child who disappeared in Kennewick in Feb. 2003. Sofia Juarez was the first child in Washington state for whom an Amber Alert was issued. Police are not saying what brought them to a 43-acre farm north of Prosser in Benton County. But sources say an informant held on a drug investigation told them Juarez's body could be found in a silage area behind two homes on the property. Five cadaver dogs from King County searched the site earlier. The forensic anthropologist joined the search Wednesday as a backhoe scooped up dirt from the silage area -- dirt that was then carefully raked by detectives. Detective Sergeant Randy Maynard of the Kennewick Police Department told KOMO 4 News: "Conditions for the search are not the best." He said it's hot, the wind is blowing and the silage is in various stages of decomposition. After an eight-hour search on Wednesday, Maynard said so far they have not found any evidence to back up the tip. But he said that does not mean that the tip is false. The search ended at about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, but detectives will be back at the scene Thursday and hope to complete the search this week. Detectives say they plan to meet next with the prosecutor, but that is not because they have found new evidence. The meeting is planned because the Benton County Sheriff's Office, the prosecutor and the Kennewick Police Department are working as closely together as possible in an effort to solve the two-year-old missing child mystery. http://www.komotv.com)

SadieJane said:
Oh, that's a horrible age progression! She looks like an old woman.

I looked at that picture and said to myself "that's awful..that's not a picture of a 7 or 8 yr old little girl!" I guess that artist hasn't been around little kids.

I wonder what happened to this little girl. I hadn't heard of her before. Hope she is found.

Desert Angel said:
Why isn't she listed on the Missing and Exploited web page? .

she is ... the very first post here has the link ...

Prayers that little Sofia is found unharmed and returned to her family.

4-year-old Kennewick girl missing 7 years

Every customer who climbs the steps to enter Art Carpenter's Hardware on Columbia Drive comes face to face with a tattered and torn poster showing the smiling face of Sofia Juarez.

The words "Endangered" and "Missing" have framed the black and white photograph for seven years.

Gary Carpenter, who owns the Kennewick business started by his father, said the stained and sun-bleached poster featuring a cherub-faced child will stay put until the mystery of Sofia's disappearance on Feb. 4, 2003, is solved.

Sofia was one day short of her fifth birthday when she apparently was abducted that evening while walking a few blocks to a grocery store from her family home off Washington Street at 15th Avenue.

More: http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_wa_remembering_sofia.html

8 years later, case of missing Sofia remains cold

Four-year-old girls don't walk away and never come back.

That's why Kennewick police Detective Sgt. Randy Maynard believes someone knows what happened eight years ago today when Sofia Juarez vanished the day before her fifth birthday.

[snip]

Sofia was the subject of the state's first Amber Alert, and she still is one of 70 children from Washington who are listed with the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

[snip]

Asked if there ever will be a time when investigators stop working on Sofia's case, Maynard's answer is simple and final:

"When we find her."

We love you Sofia! Give us a little clue where you are sweet baby girl. The Tri Cities has not forgotten about you!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back