723 users online (132 members and 591 guests)  

Websleuths News

Angry Cloneburgers won't come with warnings

Cloneburgers won't come with warnings. When the government approves food from cloned animals, expected in the next year, the Food and Drug Administration doesn't plan special labels. Government scientists have found no difference between clones and conventional cows, pigs or goats.

However, shoppers won't be completely in the dark. To help them sort through meat and dairy products, one signal is the round, green USDA organic seal, says Caren Wilcox, who heads the Organic Trade Association.

While many people choose organic to avoid pesticides or antibiotics, Wilcox says the U.S. Department of Agriculture label also means clone-free.

"Organic animal products will not come from cloned animals," she said.

Cloning is taboo to Organic Valley, the country's biggest organic farming cooperative.

"This is absolutely prohibited in our world. It goes against everything we believe," said George Siemon, CEO of the 700-member cooperative. "Organic is based on having plenty with what nature's given us."

"Clone-free" labels are also likely on some nonorganic food, such as ice cream made by Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc.

Still, it's unclear how much cloning will matter to consumers.

The nation's milk industry worries that people might reject food from clones or turn away from dairy products altogether. But so far, public opinion appears mixed. In a September poll by the Pew Initiative on Food and Biotechnology, 64 percent said they were uncomfortable with animal cloning.

In a December poll by the University of Maryland, the same percentage said they would buy, or consider buying, such food if the government said it was safe.

Much more at link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070203/...bels&printer=1

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Oh we had a discussion on this a couple weeks ago in here. Highly charged topic. It's a good one thanks for posting again DK. It's really a good debate, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    Oh we had a discussion on this a couple weeks ago in here. Highly charged topic. It's a good one thanks for posting again DK. It's really a good debate, IMO.
    Oops, I must have missed it, sorry! I think there should be full disclosure whenever possible. So I am not thrilled with this.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight
    Oops, I must have missed it, sorry! I think there should be full disclosure whenever possible. So I am not thrilled with this.
    No I meant it was a good conversation and worth revisiting.

I better go back an see what I said the first time so i don't say the opposite this time.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    What was the debate about?????

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

I better go back an see what I said the first time so i don't say the opposite this time.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

News like this I'm glad my husband is a hunter and we have a freezer full of deer meat. We rarely ever eat any other meats.

Quote Originally Posted by poco
    What was the debate about?????
    whether cloned animal foods should be labeled as such . Pros and cons to the cloned animal issue in general.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ighlight=clone

I don't think I would want cloned meat, just doesn't sound safe to me. I think I would give up all meat first.
    Happy New Years

I haven't followed this topic at all, but isn't cloning incredibly expensive compared to simply letting the animals reproduce naturally?

Quote Originally Posted by Mabel
    I haven't followed this topic at all, but isn't cloning incredibly expensive compared to simply letting the animals reproduce naturally?
    I think the idea is generally about cloning the highest quality animals and then having them and their offspring reproduce naturally. At some point the actual cloned animlas would make their way into the food chain..but the overall idea is to have their offspriing reproduce naturally.

I mostly eat soyburgers so this won't affect me much but its interesting to see peoples reactions to this

here's my reaction:

Oh well, I guess it will be good for me in the long run because I will have to give up meat.
    I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for pretending to be someone I'm not.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    I think the idea is generally about cloning the highest quality animals and then having them and their offspring reproduce naturally. At some point the actual cloned animlas would make their way into the food chain..but the overall idea is to have their offspriing reproduce naturally.
    They do this all the time with animals - using teaser bulls and invitro fertilization, to produce higher quality animals.

I just am not too keen on the whole genetic idea of cloning, let alone eating one of them - :barf:

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"