"Check Your Manhood" Talk Gets Coach Fired

White Rain

Reaction score
I also think this coach was out of line. This wasn't a good idea.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16945226/

LEEDS, Maine - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to “check your manhood,” administrators said.

Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett said coach Mike Remillard told the varsity boys Jan. 23 that “tonight’s game was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town.” (more at link)

White Rain said:
I also think this coach was out of line. This wasn't a good idea.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16945226/

LEEDS, Maine - A high school basketball coach was fired after telling his players at halftime to reach into their pants to “check your manhood,” administrators said.

Leavitt Area High School Principal Patrick Hartnett said coach Mike Remillard told the varsity boys Jan. 23 that “tonight’s game was about who had the biggest (male genitalia) in town.” (more at link)
I would think this is pretty typical male locker room banter. Not real sure what the big stink is. My high school volleyball coach said more inappropriate stuff than this during pre-game pep talks.

I am sure this was probably embarrasing for some of the players. We know from the link that at least one didn't take part.
These are high school boys, not grown men. I don't think the words the coach used, or him asking the players to do what they did was appropriate. There are alot better ways he could have given a pep talk.

How weird. I hope all men or even women, such as truckers, police officers, the Senate, armed forces, body builders, professional football players, etc. aren't expected to do this sort of thing before they go out and do their manly type sports and work. Very unprofessional, ingorant, and inappropriate way to behave around kids in this day and age with so many perverts around. Also, it's not the right representation for a public school where kids are expected to receive an education and funded by parents, the taxpayers.

meh.

This doesn't get me excited at all. Could have something to do with the fact that I have a lot of men in my life.

txsvicki said:
How weird. I hope all men or even women, such as truckers, police officers, the Senate, armed forces, body builders, professional football players, etc. aren't expected to do this sort of thing before they go out and do their manly type sports and work. Very unprofessional, ingorant, and inappropriate way to behave around kids in this day and age with so many perverts around. Also, it's not the right representation for a public school where kids are expected to receive an education and funded by parents, the taxpayers.
:clap: Nice Quote. You said it alot better than I did.

JBean said:
meh.

This doesn't get me excited at all. Could have something to do with the fact that I have a lot of men in my life.
Those were my thoughts too, JBean...I am vastly outnumbered by the testosterone-laden as well.

southcitymom said:
Those were my thoughts too, JBean...I am vastly outnumbered by the testosterone-laden as well.
This speech doesn't bother me at all and I cannot believe he got fired. I live and work in a man's world so this kind of talk doesn't even phase me.
Just sounds like typical male nonsense to me lol.

JBean said:
This speech doesn't bother me at all and I cannot believe he got fired. I live and work in a man's world so this kind of talk doesn't even phase me.
Just sounds like typical male nonsense to me lol.
Thats how I feel too!!!!! Unfortunately I think this is normal locker room talk! I Don't think he should have said this but, this is life. Beside don't teenage boys like to put their hands in their pants? LOL Before you all get excited I am just kidding!!!!!!!

This was not a big deal. If this were a parochial school or something, I could see why they would be upset, but truly, this was nothing. My husband played HS football and he said the coaches talked to them like this all the time, and worse. Poor guy, I hope he can get his job back.

I beleive this is normal talk, but I don't believe it is normal to expect them to actually check their manhood.

Before reading the article, I thought it was just a part of the pep talk and didn't see anything wrong with it....after reading and seeing that they actually checked their manhood, well that is different to me.

2luvmy said:
I beleive this is normal talk, but I don't believe it is normal to expect them to actually check their manhood.

Before reading the article, I thought it was just a part of the pep talk and didn't see anything wrong with it....after reading and seeing that they actually checked their manhood, well that is different to me.
Most boys that age can't keep there hands off it - you'd think they would have enjoyed having the official go-ahead! :rolleyes:

southcitymom said:
Most boys that age can't keep there hands off it - you'd think they would have enjoyed having the official go-ahead! :rolleyes:
"that age"? You mean there is an age that it stops? lol.

I should clarify that I don't necessarily think this coach used the right tact with this speech.. but I just don't think it is much differnt than what is commonly discussed in the locker room.

JBean said:

I should clarify that I don't necessarily think this coach used the right tact with this speech.. but I just don't think it is much differnt than what is commonly discussed in the locker room.
Ha-ha! Ain't that the truth...

JBean said:

I agree. But HS coaches are public school teachers and I would like teachers to find ways of motivating students without resorting to sexist cliches about dicks and balls.

But firing him? Whatever.

I'm glad to see a school district not tolerating this behavior. In a suburb in WI, a coach did not get fired, much less disciplined, for suggesting to his female players that they were more interested in getting laid than playing basketball. (Among other sexually charged comments)

I wouldn't tolerate a coach talking to my daughter in this manner, and shouldn't allow it with sons either. They should be professionals -and conduct themselves as examples. There are plenty of other ways to motivate.

Nova said:
I agree. But HS coaches are public school teachers and I would like teachers to find ways of motivating students without resorting to sexist cliches about dicks and balls.

But firing him? Whatever.
I think there are better ways also. My point is that I don't think this is unsual and yes changing it would be good, but firing? nope.

JBean said:
I think there are better ways also. My point is that I don't think this is unsual and yes changing it would be good, but firing? nope.

I understood, J. I was agreeing with you. Our language is full of sexist terms used to indicate courage, persistence, strength, etc. I'd like to change that, but firing one coach ain't gonna do it.

As with anything - we don't know the whole story. This might have been the last straw in a long line of inappropriate remarks or unprofessional behavior. Or a school board member's kid might have been on the team and been very embarrassed.

Also - the difference here is that the coach went beyond talk. The comment may have been accepted, but making the kids actually touch themselves??? I don't know the particular circumstances, of course, but parents are awfully concerned (with good reason) about pedophilia and many are also concerned about homosexuality. Certainly this could be looked on in that context, depending on how the coach conducted himself. That's the world we live in...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas
Back