1203 users online (255 members and 948 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Jim Gray, 63, San Francisco, 28 January 2007

Okay WSers - here's one we can work on (for some reason I really think Buzz would be great at this)

On Sunday, January 28th, 2007, Jim Gray, a renowned computer scientist was reported missing at sea. As of Thursday, Feb. 1st, the US Coast Guard has called off the search, having found no trace of the boat or any of its emergency equipment.

To help, click on accept HIT and you will get an image to search:

http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?g...STDWJZ5QY4F9M0
    Last edited by annemc2; 02-05-2007 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add

This is really cool but it is harder than I thought to make decisions about the sattelite pics. I may look at some more tomorrow.

fascinating
    would it look almost exactly like the sample pictures, or could it be broken up? anyone see anything?

Do you have to put money in some account to be a member of this site? I registered and saw some hits but not sure how it all works. I couldn't make out much since there were so many spots but one did look like something long as if a boat could be on it's side with a ball looking thing off to the side.

The boat's about the size of my cursor, so I used that to measure with. I also looked for something like the example they gave. I don't know what boat parts look like, so I am searching for the whole boat. Of course, if I see any parts that look like part of the examples, I'll say to look further.

As it was, I looked at 250 images and hit look further on about 5 of them.

This sure is a mystery, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be a tragedy.

Thanks for posting the link!

Quote Originally Posted by annemc2
    Okay WSers - here's one we can work on (for some reason I really think Buzz would be great at this)

On Sunday, January 28th, 2007, Jim Gray, a renowned computer scientist was reported missing at sea. As of Thursday, Feb. 1st, the US Coast Guard has called off the search, having found no trace of the boat or any of its emergency equipment.

To help, click on accept HIT and you will get an image to search:

http://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?g...STDWJZ5QY4F9M0
    Thanks for the recommendation annemc2; I've been following the story on the local news. He just sailed completely out of sight, and despite many searches, there is no sign of him, his boat, or anything from his boat. The Coast Guard here did say that he could have easily sailed out of their search range, and they put out alerts to Mexico/Baja to watch for his boat. As of now, it is a strange case.

i just got an e mail saying the original sample pictures of the boat were too big. they ask that you hold down the control key and hit refresh in order to get the correct size of the object we are looking for

It's really hard to tell anything. I guess you really need a trained eye to look at these things. If the boat is in parts theres no way you would be able to tell parts from all the other white specks in the photos. I hope you all are doing better then I am.

That is so cool that they are doing this.

If I remember right, someone first suggested this when the family went missing in the snow in Oregon. I wonder if that's where the idea came from.

Also, I wonder if they have more than one person scan each image. (That made me nervous when I looked at a few of the pictures!)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex
    That is so cool that they are doing this.

If I remember right, someone first suggested this when the family went missing in the snow in Oregon. I wonder if that's where the idea came from.

Also, I wonder if they have more than one person scan each image. (That made me nervous when I looked at a few of the pictures!)
    I too was worried that what if I miss something and that was the only time that image woild be seen. Hopefully not.

I'm going to keep trying. I wonder if it's at all possible to see him if he's in a survival raft if his boat sank.

There's a book called "Adrift" where a man survived I think it was 78 days in his emergency raft. I don't remember where he was though.

OK, I don't totally get this. Is this a streaming video, or a photo that is continually updated?

A satellite took a whole bunch of images just after he went missing and the object is for people to scan them and see if they can see anything that looks like a boat.

What you are seeing is a picture from a satellite.

It's telling me that I need to qualify to accept the hit?? Then it directs me to take a Qualifications test and asks for the password that was assigned to me. I didn't get a password and I don't know why I have to qualify. Did I do something wrong??

It's telling me that I need to qualify to accept the hit?? Then it directs me to take a Qualifications test and asks for the password that was assigned to me. I didn't get a password and I don't know why I have to qualify. Did I do something wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by EdinburghLass
    A satellite took a whole bunch of images just after he went missing and the object is for people to scan them and see if they can see anything that looks like a boat.

What you are seeing is a picture from a satellite.
    Thanks--I knew it was from a satellite, but I wasn't sure when the photo was taken, or if it was one that was updated daily, or what....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast