GUILTY FL - Astronaut Lisa Nowak arrested in kidnap attempt, 5 Feb 2007

Penelope631

Former Member
Reaction score
Astronaut arrested in alleged kidnap attempt :eek:

Lisa Nowak waited in hiding for romantic rival, police say

Orange County Jail
Astronaut Lisa M. Nowak was arrested Monday and charged with attempted kidnapping and other counts.

ORLANDO, Fla. - An astronaut drove 900 miles and donned a disguise to confront a woman she believed was her rival for the affections of a space shuttle pilot, police said. She was arrested Monday and charged with attempted kidnapping and other counts.

U.S. Navy Capt. Lisa Nowak, 43, who flew last July on a shuttle mission to the international space station, was also charged with attempted vehicle burglary with battery, destruction of evidence and battery. She was denied bail.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997958/?GT1=9033

I posted this story over at Crime News, but figured I'd already be scooped here. (I'm KatK there too.) CNN's report, her NASA bio, and Fox's coverage as well.

This belongs in Bizarre News! :rolleyes: How far this astronaut has fallen! She was really pretty in her astronaut picture, now she's thrown her career away, one that a lot of people would gladly have.

I am certainly thankful she wasn't able to get to the woman she was after, (well she did get pepper spray to her) but I think her intentions were ominous at best. She probably didn't know what she would do, but seemed prepared to do harm.
What a waste. Some people seem to have it all, and it just isn't enough.
I certainly feel sorry for her husband and kids.
This is just so strange.
And she really looks like she has been through the wringer between photos. What on earth could have happened to send her so over the edge.
Boggles the mind, and my mind is easy to boggle.

This lady is obviously mentally disturbed. She had on diapers? She is married...the wig the bb gun the knife..yeah she is in big trouble now. :snooty: What a waste of a brain because she had it all.

Mygirlsadie said:
This lady is obviously mentally disturbed. She had on diapers? She is married...the wig the bb gun the knife..yeah she is in big trouble now. :snooty: What a waste of a brain because she had it all.

It explains the following in the story:

Nowak raced from Houston to Orlando wearing diapers so she wouldn’t have to stop to urinate, authorities said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16997958/?GT1=9033

If there were still X-Files episodes being made, this would make a great starter for an episode!

I think any way you slice it, in this situation, the diaper-wearing was weird.

This woman is either mentally ill or on something. If you contrast her astronaut photo with her mugshot, there's a huge difference.

Steve

This is very sad. It sounds like she may be very mentally Ill. I think before she is condemned an estensive mental evaluation needs to be done ASAP.

mjak

When I saw her pictures on the FoxNews website (see post #3) I seriously, honestly thought the story was going to say she was found to be using meth.

mjak said:
This is very sad. It sounds like she may be very mentally Ill. I think before she is condemned an estensive mental evaluation needs to be done ASAP.

mjak
It seems that apparently she was so driven, or pushed, in her studies, that she entirely missed out on social normalization, usually taught by a peer group.

However, we have to admit, she was very well schooled in preparation for the task at hand.

Maybe that is why it has been said, "moderation in all things" and "balance, balance, balance."

JanetElaine said:
When I saw her pictures on the FoxNews website (see post #3) I seriously, honestly thought the story was going to say she was found to be using meth.
Whoa, that's a horrid picture--she does look like a meth addict.

Something broke, and she became completely disconnected with reality. I wonder if there was any sign of weird behavior prior to this incident??

misterallgood said:
I think any way you slice it, in this situation, the diaper-wearing was weird.

This woman is either mentally ill or on something. If you contrast her astronaut photo with her mugshot, there's a huge difference.

Steve

Exactly! Its one thing to wear the diaper for her job ... its a complete other to wear it to make better time to kidnap some rival.
I mean she had to stop to put gas in the car... why not take a restroom break then?
Who would willingly piss themselves? I am guessing that the diaper wearing when going to or from space is due to some not controllable bodily function.

Buzzm1 said:
Something broke, and she became completely disconnected with reality. I wonder if there was any sign of weird behavior prior to this incident??

I bet there was but small things at first....people would explain it as eccentricity. She is now in deep doo doo.

If you read the list of the supplies she had with her, it sounds like she meant to commit a murder. I predict more charges for her before long.

JanetElaine said:
My take also.

englishleigh said:
If you read the list of the supplies she had with her, it sounds like she meant to commit a murder. I predict more charges for her before long.
I agree that it is very fortunate that she was arrested before she could do anything. The things that she had with her do sound like she wanted to kidnap and murder the other woman. The other woman is extremely fortunate.

I'm speculating here, but I think that her "almost" romantic relationship with the other astronaut was in her mind. She's married, but I would be willing to bet that she is very unhappy in her marriage. I think that the male astronaut probably befriended her and she took it to mean that he liked her.

In the meantime, he's single and probably has a relationship with this other gal. Nowak thinks, in her sick mind that if she can get rid of her rival, he will be all hers. How much do you want to bet that her budding relationship has come to a complete halt and perhaps her marriage?

I believe that she needs to get help. I don't think that her demented mentality developed overnight.

I once befriended a male manager at work. Hell, I didn't even like him in a romantic way. His ex-girlfriend stalked him and me. She slashed both of our car tires. She called nonstop. She keyed and egged my car. She broke into my apartment and assaulted me. We all worked for the same company. She was actually a manager who was jeopardizing her job. I can tell you that I dumped him as a friend because I didn't need that kind of headache. I took her to court for the assault and trespassing. It was a nightmare. For the life of me, I can't understand why a woman would act this way over a man. Plus, does a woman really think that this is a way to get or keep a man?? I don't think so... :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back