Keith Urban Sues Keith Urban

kidzndogznme

A closed mouth gathers no foot
Reaction score
I went and checked out the painter's website and from the quotes in this article, I don't get how Keith Urban, the musician, thinks the painter has been infringing on his name. He needs to get a freakin life. !!!!!!! How dare he suggest that the website domain be turned over to him? There are other Keith Urbans in this world. What an egotistical man! This reminds me of that time when Spike Lee tried to copyright his name. People were joking that every time someone in volleyball "spiked" a ball, he would demand royalties.
doh.gif

http://www.comcast.net/music/index.jsp?cat=MUSIC&fn=/2007/02/06/580150.html

The Web site includes the statement: "You have reached the site of Keith Urban. To those who don't know, oil painting is one of my hobbies." It then directs viewers to a gallery of paintings and offers a limited edition of prints for sale.

Urban _ whose Web address is keithurban.net _ argues that the New Jersey man is misleading people into believing the Web site belongs to him and is selling merchandise as if it were produced or endorsed by him.

Personally, i do think Keith Urban the painter is trying to cash in on Keith Urban the musician. why would he say it was one of his hobbies? to mislead, IMO.

'get a freakin life'? :waitasec:

you're very, very funny. keep it up. :laugh:

If I accidentally were to click on painter Keith Urban's site and found no pictures or tour dates etc. regarding the singer Keith Urban then I would think to myself....'hmmmm, not the right Keith Urban"; then I might check out his oil paintings but probably not buy anything and then hit the back button and try the other site. How could you not figure out that they are same name but different people?

Smurf said:
If I accidentally were to click on painter Keith Urban's site and found no pictures or tour dates etc. regarding the singer Keith Urban then I would think to myself....'hmmmm, not the right Keith Urban"; then I might check out his oil paintings but probably not buy anything and then hit the back button and try the other site. How could you not figure out that they are same name but different people?
Me too, Smurf. I don't think it's deceptive because anyone would know that the website of the popular singer Keith Urban would be loaded with information about him, his music, his awards, his tour dates,etc....

www.keithurban.com is bush league, but not deceptive, IMHO.

I cannot stand this loser! I wonder what on earth Nicole Kidman see's in him?
IMO she married him because Tom was getting married.

Can you imagine the poor lives of their children?? Daddy and his midlife crisis wife and Mom and her drug addicted loser....

I want to edit my opinion. On www.keithurban.com there are links to Buy Keith Urban concert tickets and buy Keith Urban albums - both these links take you to places selling the musician Keith Urban's concert tickets and albums....so I do think that is deceptive and misleading and the musician Keith Urban's attorneys probably have a case based on those links.

southcitymom said:
I want to edit my opinion. On www.keithurban.com there are links to Buy Keith Urban concert tickets and buy Keith Urban albums - both these links take you to places selling the musician Keith Urban's concert tickets and albums....so I do think that is deceptive and misleading and the musician Keith Urban's attorneys probably have a case based on those links.

Those advertising links are not put there by the site creater. They're put there by the host server based on words they find in a search of the site.

Mabel said:
Those advertising links are not put there by the site creater. They're put there by the host server based on words they find in a search of the site.
Thanks, Mabel...well, I have to change my opinions again then! Though it could be argued that the website's creator knew his site would draw to the musician Keith Urban's links.

southcitymom said:
Thanks, Mabel...well, I have to change my opinions again then! Though it could be argued that the website's creator knew his site would draw to the musician Keith Urban's links.

And argued most convincingly, southcitymom! :smug smile of mine and nodding head:

southcitymom said:
Though it could be argued that the website's creator knew his site would draw to the musician Keith Urban's links.
But if his name is Keith Urban, then what is he going to do? Change his name because another Keith Urban made it bigger than him? Keith-the-singer would love that huh. Well tough! :boohoo:

I've never liked Keith-the-singer... one of the few that I will actually change the stations for when his songs come on.

JanetElaine said:
But if his name is Keith Urban, then what is he going to do? Change his name because another Keith Urban made it bigger than him? Keith-the-singer would love that huh. Well tough! :boohoo:

I've never liked Keith-the-singer... one of the few that I will actually change the stations for when his songs come on.
NO, but he could make it obvious that he is not the musical Keith Urban - that he is an artist, etc...he could make the website disclose more about himself than about the musician. Right now, it fails to do that.

southcitymom said:
NO, but he could make it obvious that he is not the musical Keith Urban - that he is an artist, etc...he could make the website disclose more about himself than about the musician. Right now, it fails to do that.
I'm sure glad I don't share my name with a 'celebrity'.... can't even choose how to build my own website then.....

;)

JanetElaine said:
I'm sure glad I don't share my name with a 'celebrity'.... can't even choose how to build my own website then.....

;)
I hear you, but the argument in this instance seems to be that the unknown Keith Urban is trying to profit by pretending an association with the well-known Keith Urban. That's illegal.

The unknown Urban is trying to sell his paintings and hopes that people might buy them because they think they are paintings done by the known Keith Urban.

For all we know, minions of the attorneys pursing this action might have even contacted the website's owner and pretended to be interested in an art purchase and asked if he was the musician Keith Urban and received a dodgy response. There's probably more to this matter than meets the eye.

Yes, but the Musician Keith Urban is suing for ownership of the website. I think there is more to it than just the artist not being straight forward about him not being the singer.

We all know that when people are searching for something they attempt to find the site using .com before they would attempt .net. I think that Keith Urban the singer and his "people" know that and are using any little thing to take over the site. For all we know the singer's people could have been bullying the artist to sell them the site and he wouldn't. So now they are using even bully tactics by taking it to court.

If someone made it big and they had my same name and I had purchased that web addres or whatever you call it first, I would bet that they would try and take it from me.

Amraann said:
I cannot stand this loser! I wonder what on earth Nicole Kidman see's in him?
IMO she married him because Tom was getting married.

Can you imagine the poor lives of their children?? Daddy and his midlife crisis wife and Mom and her drug addicted loser....
I have to agree. Although, I will give Nicole more credit than marrying him just because Tom was getting married. I think she just wants to be in love and married like most people do. KU is a loser and isn't even cute. Whatever she sees in him is not visible to the naked eye.

I do feel bad for the kids...

arielilane said:
I have to agree. Although, I will give Nicole more credit than marrying him just because Tom was getting married. I think she just wants to be in love and married like most people do. KU is a loser and isn't even cute. Whatever she sees in him is not visible to the naked eye.

I do feel bad for the kids...
Me too.

She probably figured they had stuff in common, ie being famous and both being Australian raised...

This is exactly how I feel. Singer Urban just wants to have control over the site and to hell with Painter Urban. I hate it when celebrities get big heads. Pleh.

2luvmy said:
Yes, but the Musician Keith Urban is suing for ownership of the website. I think there is more to it than just the artist not being straight forward about him not being the singer.

We all know that when people are searching for something they attempt to find the site using .com before they would attempt .net. I think that Keith Urban the singer and his "people" know that and are using any little thing to take over the site. For all we know the singer's people could have been bullying the artist to sell them the site and he wouldn't. So now they are using even bully tactics by taking it to court.

If someone made it big and they had my same name and I had purchased that web addres or whatever you call it first, I would bet that they would try and take it from me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back