10 dead in Kentucky house fire

Dark Knight

Reaction score
A fast-moving blaze killed 10 people early Tuesday — six of them children — in Kentucky's deadliest house fire in at least 30 years.

One person was injured. Neighbors said the pair had to be prevented from running back into the flames in an attempt to rescue the screaming children.

Investigators had not determined the cause of the blaze, which broke out shortly before 4 a.m.

"It may have been an explosion in the center of the house. The fire flashed very quickly," Fire Department spokesman Tom Isaac said.

Neighbor Bennie Stone said he believed some of the people were staying there with relatives because their own furnace went out. The temperature fell to 11 degrees overnight, the National Weather Service said.

It was Kentucky's deadliest fire in any type of building since the Beverly Hills Supper Club blaze in northern Kentucky in 1977 killed 165 people, said Rob Goodwin, senior deputy state fire marshal. Before Tuesday's fire, Kentucky already had 12 fire deaths so far this year, according to the state fire marshal's office.

Bardstown Fire Chief Anthony Mattingly said the flames spread so rapidly that firefighters couldn't get inside.

"It just didn't make any difference how fast we were here for the victims that were found," he said.

Another deadly house fire killed four children early Tuesday outside Maryville, Tenn. The parents escaped from the burning home with a 3-year-old, but the other children, ages 7 to 14, died in the blaze, said Blount County, Tenn., Sheriff James Berrong. "It was just an accident and a tragedy," Berrong said. He said the victims were sleeping in upstairs bedrooms and the survivors were on the first floor.

More at link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070206/ap_on_re_us/kentucky_house_fire&printer=1

:( :( I don't know what to say... It's so sad... :( :( :( I will say a prayer for all who is effected by this..

Oh, this is so very sad. I pray for the family members who lost those poor people in such a terrible way.

Lion

This happened not too far away from where I live...not in the same town...but real close. It's really sad :( It's all in the news here today.

Really. organising a funeral doesn't bear thinking of. :(

How horrible for the families. If it were me they'd have to be planning one more funeral because I couldn't live without my two baby girls. Sometimes they are all that keeps me going in this world. I'll be saying lots of prayers for the families in both Kentucky, and Tenn.

Sending my prayers to the survivors. I can't imagine escaping the flames only to hear my babies screaming inside. I would have fought hard to run back into them. If I couldn't rescue them, I'd rather die w/ them, for life w/o them would be in vain.

I am so sorry to hear this.My prayers and thoughts go to the families..It is just so sad..

It is stories like this that leave me absolutely speechless. Tonight, I hugged my loved ones just a little tighter, made sure they heard me say "I love you", and prayed just a little longer. I will continue to pray for the victims and their loved ones.

This happened in my hometown. Bardstown is a small and quaint community. Yes, this is very tragic. Very. I too could not imagine being one of the survivors. They all are in my prayers. There were 2 survivors. One was taken to the local hospital in Bardstown (I'm trying to remember if she was released yesterday or not). The second one was sent to University in Louisville and was in critical condition in the burn unit.

A neighbor tried to go in and help but he said that the intensity of the fire and smoke was too bad. He kicked out a window or 2. It has been said that that increased the fire and smoke. They interviewed some neighbors and no one heard an explosion.

They found 2 of the children under 2 adults. Apparently, those adults were trying to protect those babies. My heart just breaks for all in involved.

I don't know how to post links but I just read that the same group that goes around protesting at soldiers' funerals (Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kan.) is going to be protesting at a vigil in Bardstown to honor those that died in the fire. I am soooooo pissed!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Why can't they leave people alone??????????

Yeah. That group protested in my town's funeral for a soldier a while back. Well, six of them did. They pretty much got railed out of town and didn't even stay for the entire funeral because of all the hecklers they got against them.

It is a shame that these people REALLY think the way they do. One of the commented that funerals were "worshipping the dead" and that they are the ONLY people going to Heaven. :waitasec: Wonder if they'll really be there in the end? I hardly believe so... But maybe I'm wrong and we'll just have to see.

They are pathetic.... Glad they didn't stay for the whole funeral.

They ended up not protesting the funeral of the 10 victims thanks to a radio DJ here in Louisville. He made a pact with them that he would give them so much air time to "talk" about themselves if they would not go and protest at the funeral. They agreed. Everyone here is calling this man a hero for what he did. I agree.....

Except now those idiots get to spew their hatred over the radio, there has to be a better way.
It's a shame when our freedoms get abused.

I will keep this family in my thoughts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back