1207 users online (233 members and 974 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Snickers Ad Out Over Homophobia Complaints

http://www.wsbtv.com/entertainment/10946449/detail.html

HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. -- A commercial for Snickers candy bars launched in the Super Bowl broadcast was benched after its maker got complaints that it was homophobic.

The ad showed two auto mechanics accidentally kissing while eating the same candy bar and then ripping out some chest hair to do something "manly." One of the alternate endings on the Snickers Web site showed the men attacking each other. (more at link)

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain
    http://www.wsbtv.com/entertainment/10946449/detail.html

HACKETTSTOWN, N.J. -- A commercial for Snickers candy bars launched in the Super Bowl broadcast was benched after its maker got complaints that it was homophobic.

The ad showed two auto mechanics accidentally kissing while eating the same candy bar and then ripping out some chest hair to do something "manly." One of the alternate endings on the Snickers Web site showed the men attacking each other. (more at link)
    I didn't see the ad, but it was discussed at length this morning where I work.

To me the satirical target of the ad is the "homosexual panic" of the two mechanics. If I understand it correctly, I don't have a problem with it.

(But I want to be clear that GLAAD and the HRC do very good work. I donate to both and have for many years.)

I thought the laugh was on the homophobes myself. I didn't view it as a slam on gays but the other way around, which made it comical.
    I mean these 2 homophobes looked like a couple of idiots and i had a good laugh at their expense.

This is a good topic anxious to hear what say you .

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    I didn't see the ad, but it was discussed at length this morning where I work.

To me the satirical target of the ad is the "homosexual panic" of the two mechanics. If I understand it correctly, I don't have a problem with it.

(But I want to be clear that GLAAD and the HRC do very good work. I donate to both and have for many years.)
    Oh! I so agree Nova.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean
    I thought the laugh was on the homophobes myself. I didn't view it as a slam on gays but the other way around, which made it comical.
    I mean these 2 homophobes looked like a couple of idiots and i had a good laugh at their expense.

I agree with you. I mean the guys are supposedly ripping out chest hair to appear "manly." Oooohhhh yeah that's real macho baby.

When I watched "The View" today Rosie was making some of her points about it and how she went to the website and viewed the alternate ending ect....That is when I thought to myself I can see how people get upset over it. It did in away make it seem like two men were grossed out by kissing and I can see how that would hurt some gay men's feelings. I did see it and thought it was funny though, lol.....JMO

Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    When I watched "The View" today Rosie was making some of her points about it and how she went to the website and viewed the alternate ending ect....That is when I thought to myself I can see how people get upset over it. It did in away make it seem like two men were grossed out by kissing and I can see how that would hurt some gay men's feelings. I did see it and thought it was funny though, lol.....JMO
    They should remember, perhaps, that just a few years ago, the kiss would have drawn nationwide protests. Things have changed quite a bit.

They should remember, perhaps, that just a few years ago, the kiss would have drawn nationwide protests. Things have changed quite a bit.
    Yes they have changed. Rosie was actually pretty calm considering how she gets really fired up sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by JBean

This is how I felt. The joke was on the two mechanics and on homophobes in general.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    This is how I felt. The joke was on the two mechanics and on homophobes in general.
    I believe the tide turned, culturally, with the "Not that There's Anything Wrong with That" episode of Seinfeld. From then on, it's the homosexual panic of straight men we laugh at, in most cases, not gay men per se.

I believe the tide turned, culturally, with the "Not that There's Anything Wrong with That" episode of Seinfeld. From then on, it's the homosexual panic of straight men we laugh at, in most cases, not gay men per se.
    That's exactly what the ad was about! I don't understand why this group complained about it. All the gays I know (and I've lived in Atlanta for a while so I knew quite a few ) had a sense of humor. Sheesh.

This link was on the Super Bowl thread in the Jury Room. I saved it as a favorite until I had seen all the ads.

http://www.myspace.com/superspots

It's Snickers Kiss, second row on the right end.

I thought it was cute. I got a laugh out of it. Not a thing wrong with it I could see. You can view all the ads there.

Of course, I too have a sense of humor too, Nova and Janet Elaine, if it's funny, count on me to laugh

Quote Originally Posted by JanetElaine
    That's exactly what the ad was about! I don't understand why this group complained about it. All the gays I know (and I've lived in Atlanta for a while so I knew quite a few ) had a sense of humor. Sheesh.
    Yeah. Historically, we were famous for our humor.

I should point out that while GLAAD and the HRC have national organizations, I don't believe they are monolithic. Like the ACLU, actions are often taken by members in one place that may not reflect the feelings of everyone who belongs (and, obviously, not everyone who supports the groups).

On the whole, they've been pretty good sports in the past, particularly GLAAD.

Interesting. I've never thought of that connection. I am greatly heartened with how far we have come in this regard - though we've still a ways to go.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom
    ITA. This is one of those things that makes you roll your eyes and think, "Did they run out of real problems to worry about?"

I think there is plenty of actual harrassment and hate-crime going on that we can move the Snickers commercial to the bottom of the list.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast