780 users online (177 members and 603 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Eternal embrace? Couple still hugging 5,000 years on!

Call it the eternal embrace.

Archaeologists in Italy have discovered a couple buried 5,000 to 6,000 years ago, hugging each other.

"It's an extraordinary case," said Elena Menotti, who led the team on their dig near the northern city of Mantova.

"There has not been a double burial found in the Neolithic period, much less two people hugging -- and they really are hugging."

Menotti said she believed the two, almost certainly a man and a woman although that needs to be confirmed, died young because their teeth were mostly intact and not worn down.

"I must say that when we discovered it, we all became very excited. I've been doing this job for 25 years. I've done digs at Pompeii, all the famous sites," she told Reuters.

"But I've never been so moved because this is the discovery of something special."

A laboratory will now try to determine the couple's age at the time of death and how long they had been buried.

Picture at link:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070206/sc_nm/italy_embrace_dc;_ylt=Aj5QRfLYwXwK64oXhIxbI7ms0NUE

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Awww, that's sweet. And sad in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMom
    Awww, that's sweet. And sad in a way.
    It is sweet but sad, maybe it was a double suicide or why else would they have died at the same time or hugging each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazza
    It is sweet but sad, maybe it was a double suicide or why else would they have died at the same time or hugging each other.
    When I read this story, I thought of the family that was murdered by the gang- where the Mom was found clutching her babies.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight

Call it the eternal embrace.

Archaeologists in Italy have discovered a couple buried 5,000 to 6,000 years ago, hugging each other.

"It's an extraordinary case," said Elena Menotti, who led the team on their dig near the northern city of Mantova.

"There has not been a double burial found in the Neolithic period, much less two people hugging -- and they really are hugging."

Menotti said she believed the two, almost certainly a man and a woman although that needs to be confirmed, died young because their teeth were mostly intact and not worn down.

"I must say that when we discovered it, we all became very excited. I've been doing this job for 25 years. I've done digs at Pompeii, all the famous sites," she told Reuters.

"But I've never been so moved because this is the discovery of something special."

A laboratory will now try to determine the couple's age at the time of death and how long they had been buried.

Picture at link:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070206/sc_nm/italy_embrace_dc;_ylt=Aj5QRfLYwXwK64oXhIxbI7ms0NUE

Where do you find this stuff??? Not sure I want to click on the picture link, lol!

5000 to 6000 years ago - I am amazed that the bones were still intact - wouldn't they be nothing after all this time????

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco
    Where do you find this stuff??? Not sure I want to click on the picture link, lol!

5000 to 6000 years ago - I am amazed that the bones were still intact - wouldn't they be nothing after all this time????
    Poco-
    The picture is fine.

Maybe they were buried by volcano ash? It seems to me I read somewhere that volcanic ash is a good preservative. The bones DO look to be remarkably intact.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMom
    When I read this story, I thought of the family that was murdered by the gang- where the Mom was found clutching her babies.
    I havent heard about that one, but it just gives me the shivers thinking about it, how very sad. Did they get the gang that did it.

They called it a double burial. I assume they were posed in that position when buried. Even if they died seperately.

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

This is really cool. It reminds me of the couple found back in the 70s at the Iron Age site of Hasanlu in NW Iran (excavated by the University of Pennsylvania). In their case, the couple had hidden in a storage bin while their city was under siege. They died there in an embrace.

This is the "Hasanlu Lovers":
    http://www.upenn.edu/gazette/0702/im...mehansanlu.gif

What is special about this new couple is their antiquity -- the European Neolithic. It is lovely to be reminded of the existence of lovers in prehistory. Life wasn't all just about daily survival.

Bones are fragile but they will preserve well under a number of different condition -- arid, peat bogs, frozen, volcanic ash, etc.

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    I saw this on foxnews.com and this is the part that got my attention....

ROME — It could be humanity's oldest story of doomed love.
    Archaeologists have unearthed two skeletons from the Neolithic period locked in a tender embrace and buried outside Mantua, just 25 miles south of Verona, the romantic city where Shakespeare set the star-crossed tale of Romeo and Juliet.

Buried between 5,000 to 6,000 years ago, the prehistoric lovers are believed to have been a man and a woman and are thought to have died young, as their teeth were found intact, said Elena Menotti, the archaeologist who led the dig....snip

It made me wonder if maybe they were like Bill's infamous couple. Of course I realize that is probably not the case, but it did make me think it for a few seconds.

This is a fascinating discovery that teaches important details about love and marriage in ancient times.

If you look very closely at the photo, you can tell that they are not merely hugging, but actually have their hands at each other's throats.

Just kidding. I think this is so sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by angelmom
    If you look very closely at the photo, you can tell that they are not merely hugging, but actually have their hands at each other's throats.
    Lol! That would be a VERY realistic representation of love and marriage!

I don't have a link so don't shoot me but I heard on the news this morning that possibly the male died and the female was sacrificed so that she would go with him. It's not quite as romantic but one of the many possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth
    I don't have a link so don't shoot me but I heard on the news this morning that possibly the male died and the female was sacrificed so that she would go with him. It's not quite as romantic but one of the many possibilities.
    Maybe it isn't romantic, but isn't it fair? After all, heterosexual marriage is usually the opposite.

In this picture of the entire bodies, I find their leg positions to be interesting:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070207/4...fcAi3sG6txieAA

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast