GUILTY MA - Rebecca Riley, 4, dies of drug OD, Hull, 13 Dec 2006

LvsAMystry

Reaction score
I didn't see this posted anywhere here, but it's an ugly one. I feel so horrible for this little girl. Rebecca Riley, Age 4, died December 13, 2006 after being given lethal doses of medications to control diagnoses of Bipolar disorder and ADHD, diagnoses and medications she'd had since age 2. A rarity at so young an age and not necessarily viewed as appropriate by typical medical standards of care. It's alleged her parents used these medications in even larger dosages than prescribed ultimately leading to her death. She died lying on a pile of clothes on her parents' bedroom floor.

The details are shocking. More so when you learn the parents were already under investigation by the local DSS and this child should not have died as there were too many people trying to go through "the channels" to get her help. The father wasn't even supposed to be living there any longer as he was accused of molesting an older step-daughter. She was apparently adopted elsewhere. There are two other older siblings now in foster care and the mother had taken a restraining order out against the father a mere two months prior to Rebecca's death after the father tried to choke the 11 y.o. old brother. There were many, many people it seems that tried to recitify this situation, notifying the appropriate channels to get this child help. Sadly, there were just as many who didn't and who overlooked what was staring them in the face. A real tragedy on so many levels.

The parents, the doctor, DSS, pharmacists, relatives, and so many more have a piece in this little girls death.

Here are some local links that will take you to some press coverage of this:

Boston Herald

Boston Channel

Patriot Ledger - Everyone failed Rebecca

Boston Globe

I can't believe doctors are so ADD crazed that they would put such a young child on these meds. Any behavior problems the child had was probably mostly due to having to live around such horrible people.

txsvicki said:
I can't believe doctors are so ADD crazed that they would put such a young child on these meds. Any behavior problems the child had was probably mostly due to having to live around such horrible people.
It's unthinkable that a 2 YEAR OLD BABY was diagnosed as having ADD--attention deficit disorder. Somebody please tell me what kind of attention span a 2 year old is supposed to have!!!!

txsvicki---I agree that it sounds like she had a very sh*tty living environment and IF she had any behavior problems, it was probably due to that. There are far too many "normal" children who are going through their childhoods in an ADD/ADHD drug fog. People don't want children to act like children---they want them to be little adults, for God's sake!! Children are hyper by nature. Children have short attention spans by nature. I would rather my child be hyper & have a short attention span than going through childhood drugged up!

This poor poor baby--

Very often children that have Bipolar are actually diagnosed with ADHD. The symptoms of childhood Bipolar are more like ADHD than they are adult Bipolar.

Nonetheless- I'm outraged that this child was diagnosed with either illness at 2 years old!!!

Our social systems aren't working! So when and what are we going to do to fix them? I hear the same thing over and over...not enough money or manpower to visit and follow up with the children across the board in every jurisdiction. OK...so let's find a way to totally tear down our current system and fire the people in charge of them from the Govt. on down to street level. Let's place our Department of Welfare and Social Services on notice to vacate! They aren't doing their jobs anyway. How many children have to die or go missing before we all wake up and realize it is OUR responsibility?!

They can ask for Billions to fight a war, but can't ask for enough to keep poor, abused, and miserable children safe and alive?! This has gone on far too long and yet we allow it to continue! Maybe Homeland Security needs to take Social Services under their umbrella so they can keep our children secure. The military could find enough manpower to check on the well being of those children. There IS an answer out there. We need to find it...YESTERDAY! Stories like this make me so angry!

Oh Julianne you took the words right out of my mouth!! Thank you Thank you Thank you I could not of said it better myself. I feel so sorry for our little people now a days! I see old mean grouchy folks giving little people the ugly stare in the stores or in resturants and I always wink at the child and give a smile. I guess I have more patience because I have 3 kids but you know what I am so tired of all the pill popping and weird diagnosis our babies are getting just because they are being normal hyper happy little kids!

julianne said:
It's unthinkable that a 2 YEAR OLD BABY was diagnosed as having ADD--attention deficit disorder. Somebody please tell me what kind of attention span a 2 year old is supposed to have!!!!

txsvicki---I agree that it sounds like she had a very sh*tty living environment and IF she had any behavior problems, it was probably due to that. There are far too many "normal" children who are going through their childhoods in an ADD/ADHD drug fog. People don't want children to act like children---they want them to be little adults, for God's sake!! Children are hyper by nature. Children have short attention spans by nature. I would rather my child be hyper & have a short attention span than going through childhood drugged up!

This poor poor baby--

""Little Rebecca Jeanne Riley allegedly drowned Dec. 13 in her own bodily fluids over a period of more than four days as her parents repeatedly shrugged off the urging of relatives to take the drugged, dying girl to the emergency room, authorities said. Instead, the girl was coughing, “gurgling, gagging and short of breath” until she died lying on a pile of clothes on the floor, Middleton alleged""

In my opinion the relatives should be charged too.

Mygirlsadie said:
""Little Rebecca Jeanne Riley allegedly drowned Dec. 13 in her own bodily fluids over a period of more than four days as her parents repeatedly shrugged off the urging of relatives to take the drugged, dying girl to the emergency room, authorities said. Instead, the girl was coughing, “gurgling, gagging and short of breath” until she died lying on a pile of clothes on the floor, Middleton alleged""

Why in the world didn't the relatives grab that child up and take her to the hospital :furious: Were they afraid of the father? I just can't see it.Wasn't there at least one man around that was man enough to take care of the father if he tried to stop someone from taking her to the hospital? How can they live with themselves knowing they allowed that little girl to die that way? I really hate storys like this one. Just to think of how that baby suffered makes my heart ache.

I just looked at a picture of the family from the link in the first post and they look just like any normal family. Little Rebecca was just a little doll in that picture. I hope those two get LWOP...they won't though. If they get 5 years each I will be surprised.

Don't you have to have family consent for medical treatment? I took my nephew to the ER once and they called my sister at work for her permission to treat him. Same thing when my son was taken to the ER by his school. He was having a freakin asthma attack and they called me BEFORE helping him.

Thats exactly right! I will tell you all this.. If I EVER witnessed anything like this I would go directly to the Police Dept. myself and lie if I had too just to get them out to that house to save that baby. You know that little girl probably had such a horrible life always drugged up and God knows what else they did to her the only thing that makes me feel a tad bit better out of the whole situation is at least now she is out of that hell and they can never hurt her again.

Bobbisangel said:
Why in the world didn't the relatives grab that child up and take her to the hospital :furious: Were they afraid of the father? I just can't see it.Wasn't there at least one man around that was man enough to take care of the father if he tried to stop someone from taking her to the hospital? How can they live with themselves knowing they allowed that little girl to die that way? I really hate storys like this one. Just to think of how that baby suffered makes my heart ache.

I just looked at a picture of the family from the link in the first post and they look just like any normal family. Little Rebecca was just a little doll in that picture. I hope those two get LWOP...they won't though. If they get 5 years each I will be surprised.

teonspaleprincess said:
Don't you have to have family consent for medical treatment? I took my nephew to the ER once and they called my sister at work for her permission to treat him. Same thing when my son was taken to the ER by his school. He was having a freakin asthma attack and they called me BEFORE helping him.
I think in a dire emergency they do not bother with permission..
I am thinking like on deaths door ... or for example someone in a car accident.

I cannot imagine a 4 year old being diagnoised as Being Bi-polar... I mean aren't all toddlers Bi-polar???
Its just the nature of being a toddler!! This story just disgusts me .. (moreso then most)

Teons... I have a signed consent form on file for all 3 of my children at the school in case of situations like this. They have my consent to treat my kids at any medical facility. Maybe your school does something like that? Unfortuantely they probably had no choice but to wait for your consent because of this damn SUE HAPPY America we live in...

teonspaleprincess said:

julianne said:

This poor poor baby--
Color me speechless (a rarity) as well....

Mygirlsadie said:

Four days! You're right. The relatives should be charged. They could have called the police to go do a safety check on the child and even kept calling if they had to.

Mygirlsadie said:
Teons... I have a signed consent form on file for all 3 of my children at the school in case of situations like this. They have my consent to treat my kids at any medical facility. Maybe your school does something like that? Unfortuantely they probably had no choice but to wait for your consent because of this damn SUE HAPPY America we live in...

I have the same thing for my children and medication at the school for emergencies, but every time they have a severe allergic reaction or need to use an inhaler the school calls me first before treating them. It sounds like Teons school has the same type people working there.

Back on topic: I wish the relatives had called an ambulance when the parents wouldn't take the little girl to the hospital.

Gosh, this is so sad! Why didn't that brother-in-law just take the little girl to the hospital himself??? I am so sick of seeing people who do not care about their children. Why have children if you are not going to care for them?? Children cry, children scream, but they also laugh and love, if you just give them love back!! Poor babies!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back