Why wasn't Drake killed?

mrsjonnob

Reaction score
If Darlie and/or Darin did it , why didn't s/he kill Drake too?

Sorry if this has already been asked, I am a longtime lurker/new-ish poster :)

mrsjonnob said:

IMO, location. He simply wasn't there.

He was in the same bedroom as her husband. Although it was easy for her to get the kids in the living room with her overnite, it would have been almost impossible for her to have the baby there and be "asleep" at the same time.

Jeana (DP) said:
He was in the same bedroom as her husband. Although it was easy for her to get the kids in the living room with her overnite, it would have been almost impossible for her to have the baby there and be "asleep" at the same time.
That is why she says she was sleeping in the living room anyway, because Drake made noises and that his baby bed made noises when he moved. She says that kept her awake. But she supposedly slept through the massacre of her 2 sons, one of whom was sleeping very close to her..?!?!?!
I don't think so.

Who knows..maybe Darlie favored him because he's the baby in the family.?? I do feel that Darlie killed the boys. JMOT

Does anyone remember exactly what the diary notation said? Darlie had said something like she hoped her boys would forgive her what she was about to do, but did it actually say "boys" or did it seem to mention Devon and Damon only? I've always thought that the dairy was talking about planning the murders or at least a murder/suicide. Also, Drake wasn't older and getting into things and smarting off yet either.

txsvicki said:
Does anyone remember exactly what the diary notation said? Darlie had said something like she hoped her boys would forgive her what she was about to do, but did it actually say "boys" or did it seem to mention Devon and Damon only? I've always thought that the dairy was talking about planning the murders or at least a murder/suicide. Also, Drake wasn't older and getting into things and smarting off yet either.

Also, Drake was upstairs in the MB. Pretty hard to explain the intruder going up there and killing Drake when she was left alive.

I don't remember if she wrote the note to all three boys, mentioned them by name I mean. I think she started it "please forgive me..." but I could be wrong. I think it was a suicide note, I believe she was very depressed. I don't she would have committed suicide actually, I think she wanted someone to feel her pain when she wrote that note.

santos1014 said:
That is why she says she was sleeping in the living room anyway, because Drake made noises and that his baby bed made noises when he moved. She says that kept her awake. But she supposedly slept through the massacre of her 2 sons, one of whom was sleeping very close to her..?!?!?!
I don't think so.
I have seen this point brought up on other threads and I totally agree. You can hear a bed squeak, but my LORD woman, are you too dumb to realize that the sound that would be generated from a stabbing that goes completely through a child's body through to the floor would be loud, much louder than your baby rolling over! Damn this case makes me mad!

Drake was at and age where he was cute and somewhat of an attention getting device. Nothing gets attention better than a beautiful baby at your side. He was not yet a liability for her.

Is there a link to this diary entry? I'd like to read it. Thanks!

It was a diary entry, it wasn't addressed to anyone. On page 106 of MTJD, it talks about the entry and just says "I hope that one day you will forgive me for what I am about to do." Of course that's not all it says, but it doesn't mention each family member by name. This was four weeks before the murders.

Jeana (DP) said:
It was a diary entry, it wasn't addressed to anyone. On page 106 of MTJD, it talks about the entry and just says "I hope that one day you will forgive me for what I am about to do." Of course that's not all it says, but it doesn't mention each family member by name. This was four weeks before the murders.

There is actually testimony on the diary entry.

Q. And as we look towards the last entry
6 there, do we see that it's dated May 3rd, 1996?
7 A. Yes.
8 Q. Okay. It appears to be addressed to
9 Devon, Damon and Drake, and it appears to be her writing;
10 is that right?
11 A. Yes.
13 MR. GREG DAVIS: Your Honor, if I
14 could publish this at this time?
15 THE COURT: You may.
16 MR. GREG DAVIS: Ladies and gentlemen,
17 this is dated 5-3-96, Devon, Damon --
18 MR. DOUGLAS MULDER: Excuse me, Judge,
19 under the Rule of Completeness, we would like to have him
20 read the entire journal.
21 MR. GREG DAVIS: I'm offering the
22 entire journal. I simply wish to publish this portion
23 first.
24 THE COURT: Well, just read that
25 portion of it. It's all in evidence.
Sandra M. Halsey, CSR, Official Court Reporter

1 Go ahead, please.
2 MR. GREG DAVIS: Thank you.
4 BY MR. GREG DAVIS:
5 Q. "I hope that one day you will forgive
6 me for what I am about to do. My life has been such a
7 hard fight for a long time, and I just cannot find the
8 strength to keep fighting anymore. I love you three more
9 than anything else in this world, and I want all three of
10 you to be healthy and happy. I don't want you to see a
11 miserable person every time you look at me. Your dad
12 loves you all very much and I know in my heart he will
13 take care of my babies. Please do not hate me or think
14 in any way that this is your fault. It's just that I..."
15 And, Ms. Clark, have I now stopped
16 where the writing stopped in the book?
17 A. Yes.

Link to the Testimony of Julie Clark

cami said:
There is actually testimony on the diary entry.

Q. And as we look towards the last entry
6 there, do we see that it's dated May 3rd, 1996?
7 A. Yes.
8 Q. Okay. It appears to be addressed to
9 Devon, Damon and Drake, and it appears to be her writing;
10 is that right?
11 A. Yes.
13 MR. GREG DAVIS: Your Honor, if I
14 could publish this at this time?
15 THE COURT: You may.
16 MR. GREG DAVIS: Ladies and gentlemen,
17 this is dated 5-3-96, Devon, Damon --
18 MR. DOUGLAS MULDER: Excuse me, Judge,
19 under the Rule of Completeness, we would like to have him
20 read the entire journal.
21 MR. GREG DAVIS: I'm offering the
22 entire journal. I simply wish to publish this portion
23 first.
24 THE COURT: Well, just read that
25 portion of it. It's all in evidence.
Sandra M. Halsey, CSR, Official Court Reporter

1 Go ahead, please.
2 MR. GREG DAVIS: Thank you.
4 BY MR. GREG DAVIS:
5 Q. "I hope that one day you will forgive
6 me for what I am about to do. My life has been such a
7 hard fight for a long time, and I just cannot find the
8 strength to keep fighting anymore. I love you three more
9 than anything else in this world, and I want all three of
10 you to be healthy and happy. I don't want you to see a
11 miserable person every time you look at me. Your dad
12 loves you all very much and I know in my heart he will
13 take care of my babies. Please do not hate me or think
14 in any way that this is your fault. It's just that I..."
15 And, Ms. Clark, have I now stopped
16 where the writing stopped in the book?
17 A. Yes.

Link to the Testimony of Julie Clark
Thanks!

I lived in Dallas when this was going on, and shortly after her arrest Darin took Drake to the Dallas jail where she was being housed. Darin held him up for Darlie to see (yes, a stupid show of "solidarity"). When it was shown on the local news, I heard a guy at my local watering hole quip that what Darin was saying as he held Drake up was 'Hey, you forgot to kill this one.'. In poor taste I know, but kind of sums up the mood in Dallas at that time.

So the diary apology to the boys had no mention of Drake?

Drake was at and age where he was cute and somewhat of an attention getting device. Nothing gets attention better than a beautiful baby at your side. He was not yet a liability for her.

Good point. This may sound strange, but I think, to Darlie, Drake was still to cute and innocent to kill. Granted, that doesn't make much sense logically, but we're not talking about a woman who thinks or acts logically about
such things, obviously.

He wasn't a liability in that he wasn't as mature and demanding of all of her time and attention like the two older boys were, correct. And well stated.

MO is that she thought this through ahead of time. Obviously not the coverup, because she mucked that up royally. But she'd been fantasizing about how much simpler and easier her life would be with just one child instead of all three energy suckers (in her mind, that is).

She'd been visualizing Life After the Event. She sees her parenting as so much easier, there's more money because there's fewer kids to feed, clothe, etc. She knows that they're only going to get more expensive as they get older and she's got at least 10 more years before they're teens and starting to spend a lot of time away from home. She sees some of her friends with older kids and knows they have NO lives outside the house.

She wanted to keep Drake so she'd still have a family and a connection to her wellspring of money, Darin.

Drake would have been easy to stab after she'd done the other two boys. She knew that actually committing the murders was going to be one of those spur-of-the-moment decisions. She took a big risk that she'd be able to get them both stabbed without waking up Darin or Drake, certainly.

I think she also thought through how she'd kill them. She knew that people would find it hard to believe that any mother would commit such brutal murders, and that going overboard and creating a big mess would make her look less innocent.

I certainly don't think she had any idea how truly messy or difficult it would be to stab two children and she was surprised at the size of the mess. That's why she tried to clean up some before she sliced herself.

People have made an issue about how close she came to her carotid with her neck stabbing as if that's some sort of proof that she would never have done that herself.

Along with her fantasies of Life Without the Burden, we know she also ideated suicide, which is common. Once she's killed her sons, taken the sock outside, she probably just said to herself "oh well, if I survive slicing my own neck, I'll at least have a better life. If I dont survive it....well I get one of two outcomes I want." She just knew the outcome she didn't want was be 3 sided Mommy for the next 18 years.

I dont' think she had any idea where her carotid was, and probably still doesn't, unless she had some medical training. She just got lucky (or not) and missing it by a few millimeters was mere coincidence. It's certainly not proof that she didn't cut herself.

An intruder bent on killing her would have not tried to slice her throat but jam the knife point first into her neck, just like she did to her boys, killing her much faster and eliminating the chances of her screaming by cutting off her air and damaging her vocal cords. Her neck wound is obviously self-inflicted.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back