Baby Born with second head to get surgery

Correct River. One baby forms, the other conjoined twin is attached (like a parasite) in some form to the developed baby.

This story explains it better

MIAMI (Reuters) - An international team of doctors hopes to operate in the Dominican Republic next month to remove an undeveloped second head from a baby girl born with one of the world's rarest birth defects, caused when a conjoined twin fails to develop in the womb.

The baby, Rebeca Martinez, was born in mid-December at a hospital in Santo Domingo with the head of an undeveloped twin attached to the top of her skull, facing upward.

Her condition, craniopagus parasiticus, is so rare that there have only been eight documented cases in the world, and no known cases where surgery has been attempted to correct it, Hazim said in a telephone interview.

Rarer "parasitic" twins occur when one conjoined twin stops developing in the womb, leaving a smaller, incompletely formed twin that is dependent on the other. They can form as an extra limb, torso or head, or as a complete second body, lacking vital organs.

In Rebeca's case, there is a gap in her skull where the heads are joined, and the blood vessels are intertwined, Hazim said. The vestigial head is enlarged and fringed with dark hair like Rebeca's but has a poorly developed brain and only rudimentary facial features, he said.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=topNews&storyID=4196661

What is so sad is that the unformed twin's mouth is moving when the other is being fed, and just the whole awfulness of one baby having no real chance ever.

I read about this earlier. How sad. I hope the baby is okay after the surgery. She has a cute little face. I have never seen anything like this before. I think it's ashame that they had to put pictures of this baby on the web. There are weird sites out there that will use that baby's picture.

Oh geez... and they said they detect brain activity in the parasitic twin... that opens up a whole different can of worms.

sansoucie said:
Oh geez... and they said they detect brain activity in the parasitic twin... that opens up a whole different can of worms.

an ethical dilemna no doubt. But without heart and lungs and other vital organs in the rudimentary twin... if separated, a head without a body could not be considered viable, could it? The fact that the mouth moves when the other twin nurses is a bit creepy. But I agree, it is a shame that the picture was posted and will probably fall into the hands of freakish websites. That's unfortunate as a human being is at stake here. I pray for a successful outcome to the surgery.

I don't see how it could present an ethical problem, who would want two heads? Who could expect someone to live that way?
The poor baby, I pray she will be okay.

I meant for the parents... brain activity, life, burial , mourning a twin. You know, in persistant vegitative states you rely on brain activity to determine life. This is a much different scenario, but it will be hard on the parents.

Wow. I'm amazed, completely.

She is a beautiful little girl, I applaud her parents giving her a chance.

Oh, isn't this sad? They are such a beautiful family. I pray this baby survives the surgery and lives a long and wonderful life.

The problem of souls and conjoined twins is one that interests me. I wonder at what point they have seperate souls?

Has anyone seen the documentary on the conjoined twins that appear to be a two-headed child? They share a body, but have two fully developed brains. They go to school, participate in sports, etc.

Then, on the weirder side, there are the conjoined twin country music singers. They are joined at the head.

Maxi said:
Has anyone seen the documentary on the conjoined twins that appear to be a two-headed child? They share a body, but have two fully developed brains. They go to school, participate in sports, etc.

Yes, Maxi, I remember seeing that documentary. Girls in Britain - two heads, one body. Each head controls one side of limbs. They've got to be what - 12-15 by now?

Wow, I don't know what I would have done if faced with this. God bless the parents.

A link from Texas

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/020604_APworld_head.html

Yahoo link

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...0040206/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/dominican_two_heads

The parents of 7-week-old Rebeca Martinez followed her to the door of the operating room and said a prayer over their baby, holding hands and gently caressing their daughter's head.

"Be strong, Rebeca. May God be with you," 26-year-old Maria Gisela Hiciano, said as she reached for her baby through the bars of the crib.

Praying all goes well, and Rebeca grows up to be a beautiful woman, someday. Blessings, Lanie

I feel terrible for her family. :( I really thought she was going to make it through.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back