We need more people like this!

Branson is great--We even liked his short-lived reality tv show, Rebel Billionaire--The show only failed not because of him but because of the worthless contestants--He's a self-made billionaire, starting with just a record store--He's a bit more adventerous than Trump, some may even call him foolhardy but others see him as having an endless zest for life

that is awesome. so good to hear about folks with money doing something good for a change. I mean, how many ferraris does a person really need anyway.....???
i sure hope it leads to something good... and maybe others will be inspried to do the same. now how about that amazon rain forest? ..or, i should say what's left of it? how about someone using their billions to fight the coal companies who are chopping off the tops of ancient, pristine mountains in the appalachians? (or doesn't anyone care about that, because it's right here at home... not some trendy exotic locale....?)

Peter Hamilton said:
Branson is great--We even liked his short-lived reality tv show, Rebel Billionaire--The show only failed not because of him but because of the worthless contestants--He's a self-made billionaire, starting with just a record store--He's a bit more adventerous than Trump, some may even call him foolhardy but others see him as having an endless zest for life
I like your take on things alot of the time Peter, that's pretty much how I see him too.
Wish I had Bransons enthusiam and way of thinking, he is having the best life!

reb said:
that is awesome. so good to hear about folks with money doing something good for a change. I mean, how many ferraris does a person really need anyway.....???
i sure hope it leads to something good... and maybe others will be inspried to do the same. now how about that amazon rain forest? ..or, i should say what's left of it? how about someone using their billions to fight the coal companies who are chopping off the tops of ancient, pristine mountains in the appalachians? (or doesn't anyone care about that, because it's right here at home... not some trendy exotic locale....?)[/QUOTE]

We all have to work together and do our little bit and hopefully more people like Branson and Irwin will really start to make a difference..

Sorry about the Appalachians- I don't even know what state they're in lol, how ignorant of me, I'll google after this :D

I Know the Amazon is disappearing though..crikey.

Dick Smith comes to mind when referring to millionaires giving back to communities, he is our version of Branson but maybe not so flamboyant.

Oprah Winfrey has also been very charitable with her millions by helping young women and girls in Africa.

They are good role models for us all, just wish I had more money to give.

reb said:
i sure hope it leads to something good... and maybe others will be inspried to do the same. now how about that amazon rain forest? ..or, i should say what's left of it? how about someone using their billions to fight the coal companies who are chopping off the tops of ancient, pristine mountains in the appalachians? (or doesn't anyone care about that, because it's right here at home... not some trendy exotic locale....?)

I only read about this a few months ago and was shocked at the destruction in that region! :banghead:

Moving Mountains: Orion Magazine

NOT SINCE THE GLACIERS PUSHED toward these ridgelines a million years ago have the Appalachian Mountains been as threatened as they are today. But the coal-extraction process decimating this landscape, known as mountaintop removal, has generated little press beyond the region. The problem, in many ways, is one of perspective. From interstates and lowlands, where most communities are clustered, one simply doesn't see what is happening up there. Only from the air can you fully grasp the magnitude of the devastation. If you were to board, say, a small prop plane at Zeb Mountain, Tennessee, and follow the spine of the Appalachian Mountains up through Kentucky, Virginia, and West Virginia, you would be struck not by the beauty of a densely forested range older than the Himalayas, but rather by inescapable images of ecological violence. Near Pine Mountain, Kentucky, you'd see an unfolding series of staggered green hills quickly give way to a wide expanse of gray plateaus pocked with dark craters and huge black ponds filled with a toxic byproduct called coal slurry. The desolation stretches like a long scar up the Kentucky-Virginia line, before eating its way across southern West Virginia.

Read more and weep: http://www.orionsociety.org/pages/om/06-1om/Reece.html

What is being done can never be rectified!

BTW, i met Richard Branson in '91 and he was an extremely nice man.

floh.. thanks for posting that, and i DO read those articles and weep, literally. i just cannot comprehend with my little human brain that these kinds of things are allowed to go on in our so-called enlightened, civilized modern society... and right her under our nose... to a true ecological treasure like the appalachians. of course, human population does enough damage to the ecology as it is... but that's another sory. but mountaintop removal is just an unbelievably violent and unecessary thing that should not only be outlawed,, it should have never been legal in the first place!!! strip mining was bad enough... but THIS??
and, do you see our so-called president mentioning anything about this?? of course not! he's too busy trying to save iraq (and, his pathetic reputation)!!!

anyway... i put another thread in the parking lot in case anyone wants to know more. it truly is something that ALL americans should know and care about (..rather than what britney spears is doing this week or the fact that another floozy blonde bimbo drug addict OD'd.) and as with all environmental issues like this, not only is it a national crisis, but a human, world-wide crisis as well. when these things go on, it goes beyond politics. EVERYONE should care. it's a human thing, a planetary thing, a life thing.... whether you're religious or not, we should do whatever we can to take care of what we have. it's the least we can do!
anyway,, i'm going to the parking lot now.

anyway,, hooray for sir richard branson!!! and thanks for letting us know, narlacat! :D

Hear hear for Sir Richard Branson, for his generosity and for challenging us to think outside the box.

Bravo to Branson... the initiative of such a big sum of money as a reward could mean a sizable group of scientists putting brains to brawn, allowing us to actually come into a time where we will see various viable options of reducing carbon gases, offered to us. The impact of the competition process, alone, could show to make a big difference, regardless of who wins it.

On a side note: when it comes to class and actually trying to make a difference, on a positive level in this world, Branson is far far far above Trump's level.

god, there is not even a comparison. i mean, what had trump done for anyone, much less the environment?? all he's done is whatever it takes to make more money for HIMSELF. can anyone name one charity he's given to, or cause that he has brought attention to?

Shazza said:
Dick Smith comes to mind when referring to millionaires giving back to communities, he is our version of Branson but maybe not so flamboyant.

Oprah Winfrey has also been very charitable with her millions by helping young women and girls in Africa.

They are good role models for us all, just wish I had more money to give.
Yes he would be our version of Branson Shaz.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Smith

Bill Gates gives alot too.

Every little bit counts.

Since this is happening basicallly starting in Al Gore's home state, why isn't HE leading the charge on this instead of the global warming charge?

He gets more national attention for the global warming thing.

At least that's what I think.

narlacat said:
Yes he would be our version of Branson Shaz.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Smith

Bill Gates gives alot too.

Every little bit counts.
Thanks for the link to Dick Smith, I found it quite interesting. Bill Gates does give a lot, we need a few more of these generous millionaires to help the worlds economy, what a lovely thought.:clap:

Shazza said:
I dont know I have never seen an mention of a wife or family.

Oh wait never mind I am married... :doh:

Is Branson married, the question? Yeah, he is... he known to be a very happy and deeply commited family man. Looks... money... ambition of the good kind... and a family man that holds to family honor... excuse me while I go melt over this man. :D

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back