Dixie Chicks win five Grammys

Maral

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Dixie Chicks to country: nah-nah

The Dixie Chicks' Natalie Maines couldn't resist the rich irony - or the chance to rub their success in the face of a country-music establishment that turned its back on them.

"That's interesting," Maines said in picking up the band's Grammy Award for best country album on Sunday. Country radio stations have largely ignored the band after Maines' infamous 2003 remarks critical of President Bush on a London stage.

"Well, to quote the great Simpsons: heh-heh," she said.

The Dixie Chicks' "Not Ready to Make Nice," a blistering retort to their critics following the incident, had already won the Grammy for song of the year. They drew several standing ovations from an audience well aware that their victories had a political point attached. Link

I thought it was a really well-done CD with excellent songs so I'm glad they won. I do have to admit that it's nice to see a famous person who gets some heat for something they said just keep plowing ahead ... I'm so tired of all the ones who get caught saying something, then go around apologizing and going to "rehab" to apologize when they don't really mean it.

reportertype said:
I thought it was a really well-done CD with excellent songs so I'm glad they won. I do have to admit that it's nice to see a famous person who gets some heat for something they said just keep plowing ahead ... I'm so tired of all the ones who get caught saying something, then go around apologizing and going to "rehab" to apologize when they don't really mean it.
Great post! Good for The Dixie Chicks. They are talented women and it is well-earned.

I sort of expected it. It was more of a political statement than a music award. I wouldn't take their music if someone gave it to me.

All this shows me is that the hip-hop crowd can't stand country music and is making a laughing stock out of it.

I boycotted the Grammy's because of the Chicks. I turn the radio station off whenever one of their songs come on. I will continue to do so.
They had the right to say whatever they wanted. They chose to make fools of themselves in another country and bad mouth the USA in another country. I chose to badmouth them whenever I get a chance. I have a right to that as well.

I didn't even know they had a new album... :doh:

angarella said:
I didn't even know they had a new album... :doh:
It's very good. They deserved the awards.

I think it's ironic for people in a country that prides itself on freedom of speech and expression to boycott a musical group that did just that. I don't care if the concert was in a foreign country. Be it England or Iraq, what they did was more American than what their boycotters can say they did.

Their track "Lullaby" should have earned them these awards on its own. It's just a heartstopper of a love song.

They didn't have you where I come from
Never knew the best was yet to come
Life began when I saw your face
And I hear your laugh like a serenade

How long do you want to be loved
Is forever enough, is forever enough
Is forever enough
Cause I'm never, never giving you up

I slip in bed when you're asleep
To hold you close and feel your breath on me
Tomorrow there'll be so much to do
So tonight I'll drift in a dream with you

Is forever enough

As you wander through this troubled world
In search of all things beautiful
You can close your eyes when you're miles away
And hear my voice like a serenade

Is forever enough

Is forever enough
Is forever enough

Paladin said:
I think it's ironic for people in a country that prides itself on freedom of speech and expression to boycott a musical group that did just that. I don't care if the concert was in a foreign country. Be it England or Iraq, what they did was more American than what their boycotters can say they did.
They have every right to say what they want and we have every right to not buy their music or play their music. It doesn't work just one way.

Annie said:
I sort of expected it. It was more of a political statement than a music award. I wouldn't take their music if someone gave it to me.

I'm with you there on the political Annie. Al Gore presenting? :rolleyes:

Annie said:
They have every right to say what they want and we have every right to not buy their music or play their music. It doesn't work just one way.
No one said anything about you having to buy or play their music. It's just that your reasons for doing so aren't very well thought out.

They actually won 6! Go Dixie Chicks! Their cd is absolutely amazing.

Masterj said:
:clap: :chicken:
I love the new album and was very amused with her remarks last night.

NaNaRosebud said:
All this shows me is that the hip-hop crowd can't stand country music and is making a laughing stock out of it.

I boycotted the Grammy's because of the Chicks. I turn the radio station off whenever one of their songs come on. I will continue to do so.
They had the right to say whatever they wanted. They chose to make fools of themselves in another country and bad mouth the USA in another country. I chose to badmouth them whenever I get a chance. I have a right to that as well.
So the Grammy's are a hip-hop crowd? I strongly disagree with that statement. Nor do I aguree that country music is being made a laughing stock. I think the Grammys do respect country music and that awarding the Dixie chicks has no relevance on that. Just because you don't agree with their actions or their politics, doesn't mean the cd wasn't a good one. The grammys were given based on merit, not politics.

samhoney said:
The Dixie Chicks have definitely been vindicated by winning these awards and the nation finding out what a no good lying little weasel George Bush is.
Maybe, but it's often harder to forgive someone for being right than for being wrong, so I predict that some may be slow to come around to the Dixie Chicks!

Masterj said:

i missed most of the show, but kept popping around from channel to channel, waiting on Justin Timberlake...i've gotten to really like him :blushing:
...i'm glad i caught where he was playing the piano..."what goes around, comes around"???....thinking seriously of getting the cd w/that on it...i assume it's been released??....don't know a whole lot about him or his music, but ever since i saw **** in a box, i think he's great!!....

the one tune i've heard from the DC is "not ready to let go"????..something like that, & i DO think that's a good song...like i said, i missed all the show but Justin:)

CNN.com entertainment section reports that DCs only got 5 grammies. Perhaps the 6th was one for their producer?

"The Dixie Chicks won five Grammys Sunday night, including the big three: album of the year, song of the year and record of the year.The Dixie Chicks won five Grammys Sunday night, including the big three: album of the year, song of the year and record of the year."

Paladin said:
CNN.com entertainment section reports that DCs only got 5 grammies. Perhaps the 6th was one for their producer?

"The Dixie Chicks won five Grammys Sunday night, including the big three: album of the year, song of the year and record of the year.The Dixie Chicks won five Grammys Sunday night, including the big three: album of the year, song of the year and record of the year."
Yeah, I think the 6th was to Rick Rubin, who not only produced Taking the Long Way, but also RHCP's Stadium Arcadium (which won Best Rock Album).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back