Austria - Mum locked up girls for 7 yrs

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
By TOM WELLS February 12, 2007 *

A MOTHER kept her three daughters prisoner in their home for SEVEN years, it emerged yesterday.

The woman, a wealthy lawyer, locked the girls away after splitting from their father, a judge, officials in Austria said.

The sisters — who lived with only one electric light among hordes of mice — became so cut off from the rest of the world they developed their own language.

Cops who raided their boarded-up house in a posh suburb of the city of Linz found them in a "desolate condition".

More at link:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007070102,00.html

Crazy, just crazy! I cannot believe dear ol' dad tried very hard to see his daughters in those 7 years. How could he not realize something was fishy? 7 years!

Lock 'em both up and throw away the key!

Liz said:
The sisters — who lived with only one electric light among hordes of mice — became so cut off from the rest of the world they developed their own language.
The fact that they developed their own language is fascinating! I hope these girls will be able to assimilate.

kittykat1 said:
The fact that they developed their own language is fascinating! I hope these girls will be able to assimilate.
The girls were actually rescued in 2005 (I have read different reports about it being October or December, but it wasn't 'last year' as the Sun article reports).

Expert psychologists have said that the eldest girl, now 21, will never recover. They have actually used the words that she will be 'lifelong psychologically disabled'. The youngest, now 14, is in the best shape of them all, they expect her to be able to go live with her father in a couple of months.

Excrement in the house was piled up a metre high. The mom was court ordered nine times since 2001 to allow access to the girls but no-one made it happen. Child Protective Services were also told of neighbor's suspicions. The girls were finally found after a neighbor threatened to sue the city if they didn't actually do something.
The neighbor had complained numerous times in the 5 months before the girls were rescued, because he suspected something was wrong. After his first complaints a veterinarian was ultimately sent to the home, who took two severely mal-treated pets, a cat and a dog, from the house.

The girls' mother was first put in a mental facility, of which the girls were not told - experts feared they would suffer tremendous guilt about this. The mother managed to sneak a message to the girls through another patient at the facility, and this did indeed cause a tremendous setback in the recovery of especially the 21-year old.
The guardian of the two eldest girls has said they are now working hard to keep from the girls that their mother has been put in a facility for the criminally insane, as having knowledge of this would, according to the psychological experts, most likely mean the end of chances at a normal life for the two youngest girls. (http://www.nachrichten.at/lokal/517238)

It is just mind-boggling and heart-breaking.... the girls will never fully recover, and the eldest, her life is just completely over. Ruined. Wasted. I cannot even grasp why a mother would do this to her girls.

There are pictures of the house on this link:
http://www.nachrichten.at/lokal/517226

Click on 'bildergalerie' to the left to see more pictures. You may experience server errors and loading issues (I did). I figure that's because this is just a small newspaper's website that isn't really set up server-wise for the amount of international traffic it is receiving presently. I kept trying and it came up eventually.

“In the first weeks after their release they were hiding under a bench in the kitchen [in the therapy centre] because that was the darkest spot. They could not endure light . . . they had not felt sunlight or fresh air for years.”

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,251389,00.html

:( :( :(

You know there are more out there. somewhere. lost children. :(

Floh said:
You know there are more out there. somewhere. lost children. :(
The thing that gets me in this case is, these girls weren't even lost. People and authorities knew they were there, they knew they were living with their mother. The father and neighbors have over the years tried very hard to get the appropriate authorities to check on the girls' welfare, because they feared the circumstances the girls were living in.

People in Austria are waiting to hear what politicians and law are going to say about this case. They expect the rolls played by the Schulbehorden (supervisory school authority), Jugendwohlfahrt (Child Protective Services) and the Bezirksgerichts Urfahr-Umgebung (district court of the Urfahr area) to be severely questioned. (http://www.nachrichten.at/lokal/517247)

What the mentally deranged mother was doing was getting back at the father, IMO. and i can see just why he left her.

the suffering those girls have gone through is beyond the beyond.

she can only get between five months and five years as punishment, according to reports. :banghead:

Floh said:
she can only get between five months and five years as punishment, according to reports.
Yeah, isn't that a crock of bull too? :behindbar

Floh said:
What the mentally deranged mother was doing was getting back at the father, IMO. and i can see just why he left her.
They're saying that since she was (is?) a lawyer, she knew exactly what to do to fend off the few inquiries authorities made into the welfare of her daughters. This seriously has got to be the most dramatic case of child abuse I have ever heard of.

Liz said:
Crazy, just crazy! I cannot believe dear ol' dad tried very hard to see his daughters in those 7 years. How could he not realize something was fishy? 7 years!

Lock 'em both up and throw away the key!
Liz, the dad tried, he is not at fault. It was others who dropped the ball on this.

JanetElaine said:
They're saying that since she was (is?) a lawyer, she knew exactly what to do to fend off the few inquiries authorities made into the welfare of her daughters. This seriously has got to be the most dramatic case of child abuse I have ever heard of.

It gets worse: DAD is a JUDGE! :doh:

JanetElaine said:
Yes he is. Why? I don't get what you're saying. He tried.

What i'm saying is she is a lawyer and he is a judge — this isn't some low IQ family. she knew what she was doing was wrong and he, for god's sake, should have been able to manipulate the system as much as she clearly did.

i don't blame him, but i stand all amazed she was able to run circles round him.

i'm grateful apparently the neighbour demanded action and wouldn't take no for an answer. they could otherwise still be there going on 9 years. :(

JanetElaine said:
They're saying that since she was (is?) a lawyer, she knew exactly what to do to fend off the few inquiries authorities made into the welfare of her daughters. This seriously has got to be the most dramatic case of child abuse I have ever heard of.[/QUOTE] (my bold)

Me too. I think people like this should get life in prison w/o parole and no toilet and lots of rats and mice.

I can't believe people do this to their own children. :mad:

This is very strange. The oldest daughter would have been 14 when her mom began the captivity, the youngest would have been 7. Isn't it strange that these girls developed their own language and let go of the language they surely already knew!?!

kittykat1 said:
I translated this page http://tinyurl.com/2xfm7q using google translate. The translation refers to the mother as "nut/mother".
That's the translation - the original text says 'heavily ill mother' (schwer kranken Mutter).

Wow, all in all I'd have to say that it's a pretty bad translation... I was going to see if there were a few more of those mistakes (?) that I could set straight, but I'd have to re-translate the whole thing... not now! Although I'm fluent in German, it would take me too long. Sorry tho. :)

Floh said:
What i'm saying is she is a lawyer and he is a judge — this isn't some low IQ family. she knew what she was doing was wrong and he, for god's sake, should have been able to manipulate the system as much as she clearly did.

i don't blame him, but i stand all amazed she was able to run circles round him.

i'm grateful apparently the neighbour demanded action and wouldn't take no for an answer. they could otherwise still be there going on 9 years. :(
I gotcha now. Thanks. :)

kgeaux said:
This is very strange. The oldest daughter would have been 14 when her mom began the captivity, the youngest would have been 7. Isn't it strange that these girls developed their own language and let go of the language they surely already knew!?!

The language was probably based on German, but mutated into something unique to the girls. their own German dialect.

They may have even started their own language as a way to speak to each other without "mother" knowing what they were saying. To protect themselves for further abuse.

It is believed that the children had contact only with their mother during the seven years of captivity and, as a consequence, developed an almost unintelligible language of their own, described as a “singing-like” form of German.

Even after a year of therapy the oldest daughter, Elisabeth, now 21, is said to be so disturbed that she stands only on one foot for long periods staring at the floor. She often bursts into tears.
She and her two sisters also reportedly finish all sentences with the word “but”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article1368918.ece

:(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member