Students Face Expulsion After Snow-Day Hoax

White Rain

Reaction score
I bet the girls thought this would be a cute prank, and now they are facing expulsion. This sounds like something I would have been interested in in high school, but I would have never posted it on the school district's website.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17111709/

TRENTON, Ohio - Two teenage girls posted a fake announcement on their school district's Web site that said school was closed for the day due to winter weather, police said.

The notice, posted Monday, confused many parents — snow was not in the forecast — and persuaded some students to stay home.

Edgewood City Schools Superintendent Tom York said he discovered the posting when he logged on to write his own announcement that school would be delayed for an hour because of an extreme cold snap. (more at link)

That's pretty harsh, IMO. Expulsion and juvenile court. What a very lucky schooldistrict that apparently this is the worst they have to deal with. :rolleyes: Is loss of a sense of humor an effect of global warming too? Or what's going on with everyone these days.

JanetElaine said:
That's pretty harsh, IMO. Expulsion and juvenile court. What a very lucky schooldistrict that apparently this is the worst they have to deal with. :rolleyes: Is loss of a sense of humor an effect of global warming too? Or what's going on with everyone these days.

I guess if it hadn't been the actual school district's website they wouldn't be in so much trouble. The link doesn't say how they could have gotten the password. I think that needs some looking into.

:slap: D"oh... now thats funny! I wish things like this was all we had to worry about with teenagers!

I bet these girls were shocked when the police showed up at their front doors. They got a great lesson firsthand on how the Internet isn't as anonymous as one may think.

Personally, I think they should get suspended, but I don't see the need for expulsion. Charges of tampering with records data sounds trumped up to me. I'd like to see what exactly the local law describes as records. It's not like they were changing their grades. And honestly, how many people check the school website before heading to school in the morning? I'd like to know exactly how many faculty and students stayed home as a result.

Well,the records bit has to do with the records for the school day which would effect attendance records for the entire district not just student grades. If school is cancelled altogether that is recorded by the district as well as any delays due to inclement weather. I understand why they charged tampering with records data.

Considering they were only one day off on the "snow day"--I have close friends in Mason, also north of Cinci, and in Dayton and they are practically having a blizzard up there today and kids are out of school---I'd say this wasn't that big a deal. Suspend them but expulsion is a bit much.

Maybe I am terribly wrong, I found it rather amusing. I agree that shoud be punished, but......

oh well

JMO

If these girls had live in Honolulu, it may have been amusing. Anyone there that took it seriously wouldn't be exactly classified as intelligent. But, OH does get snow.

Expelling these girls puts them into the same category, for example, as someone who carried a weapon to school. The expulsion punishment doesn't fit the crime. I say give them a couple of days off - preferably picking up trash around the school - a good lesson to other students not to try what these girls did.

I wonder how many stayed home as well, especially since attendance can be tied to state funding. That may be why administrators are so upset -- or part of the reason.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back