Cubans attempt floating Vintage car to Florida

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
See Article with photo!

11 Cubans in 1950s Buick picked up by U.S. coast guard off Florida

MIAMI (AP) - Eleven Cubans trying to sail to Florida in a 1950s Buick converted into a tailfinned boat were intercepted at sea by the U.S. coast guard and will be sent back to their homeland, Cuban-exile activists said Wednesday.

Story from CNEWS

I just read that - what a riot!

Where there is a will, there is a way!

poco said:
I just read that - what a riot!

Where there is a will, there is a way!

Second time they try it too....so sad that people put their life on the line for freedom only to be "pulled over" by the Coast Guard and send them back.

And the sad part is that they will probably be executed once they are sent back to Cuba as an example to anyone who is thinking of escaping the island.

My best friend's husband went to Cuba just two weeks ago and he read that two young men had attempted to go to Florida, only to run out of gas while still in Cuban waters. They were apprehended and shot to scare others into submission. How very sad that they have to continue living under Castro's regime.

Ticamom said:
And the sad part is that they will probably be executed once they are sent back to Cuba as an example to anyone who is thinking of escaping the island.

My best friend's husband went to Cuba just two weeks ago and he read that two young men had attempted to go to Florida, only to run out of gas while still in Cuban waters. They were apprehended and shot to scare others into submission. How very sad that they have to continue living under Castro's regime.

And some of us have the gall to about the U.S.A.?????

Tica... I thought I had read or heard they had tried this before??

If they are not dead and could attempt it again... they must not have been executed last time?

Maybe I heard it wrong... I have read a few articles on it.

Casshew said:
Tica... I thought I had read or heard they had tried this before??

If they are not dead and could attempt it again... they must not have been executed last time?

Maybe I heard it wrong... I have read a few articles on it.

Cass, you're right. Two of these men did try it before. But I don't think Tica was referring to these same men. People try to escape Cuba constantly. Sometimes in motor boats, sometimes in regular boats, sometimes in makeshift rafts made of tires, etc. It's hard to know what really goes on in Cuba bc they don't have free press there and so what is allowed to be reported is what the government allows. Also, I believe CNN has a new bureau there, but the Cuban gov't will shut it down if they make negative reports about the gov't so essentially even the American press is also not free there. So an account like this wouldn't be easy to verify or disqualify. Also, I know that in the past year, the Cuban gov't has jailed, sentenced reporters, poets and other dissidents to life in prison for speaking out against the revolution and Castro. So I'd believe it.

I too had read that two of the men in the Buick had made the attempt before in a pickup truck.
It is amazing what they try to escape on, such as two automobile hoods welded togeather.
Not that many years ago our goverment were sending ships out to help them and reports written up by our people give us a small glimpse as to there conditions. No food, little water, no navagational experience. What courage it must take to start a venture like that. Just goes to show you how desperate they are to leave the tyranny of Castro.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taylor Sage
Back