HI - Maggie Young drowned her 5 children in bathtub, Aiea, 22 Nov 1965

Dena said:
I found this article and it surprised me -

http://starbulletin.com/2001/06/26/news/story2.html

I actually thought of the similarity to Andrea Yates before the article addressed it. My apologies if this is posted elsewhere, I have never heard of this woman until this.

Wow- I'd never heard of this case either. Thanks for the link!

It's ironic kinda how we always say "Now-a-days" people have changed or "now-a-days" people blame things on mental illness.. like it's a new thing, these sick sick women killing their children. I don't think we realize that it has always happend and today's society isn't really that much different from yesterdays. We just hear about it more now because of media attention and sensationalism.

I don't know- I wish someone could learn how to end this stuff. It makes me so sad and angry!

Wow, I sort of wonder if Andrea had read about this case and got the idea to drown her own children? :(

Andrea was barely functional and in a religious delusion fostered by Randy and his crazy belief system. I doubt seriously she was reading about a 40 year old case in Hawaii that was basically unknown.
Mothers thru recorded time have often drowned their children - just as women thru time more often use poison instead of guns or weapons to kill. She didn't need to find the idea, it was already there in her sick mind. Andrea is severely mentally ill - not just postpartum psychosis but bordering on schizophrenia.
She wasn't right before she killed her children and sadly the mental health professionals and the lack of proper insurance for mental illness failed her - just as it has failed countless others. Munchausen's By Proxy, chronic infanticide, post partum psychosis, acute bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia are ALL disorders than without treatment can lead to innocent children and infants murdered by their mentally ill mother. Left untreated and with disinterested or enabling spouses (like Randy) they can kill. Andrea should have been hospitalized and prevented from having more children long before she killed. Mental health hospitals and proper facilities for those who are a danger to themselves or others should be a priority - sadly we have high priced rehabs on every corner, but no facilities for people who are poor, underinsured or just too sick to be un-supervised.

FlowerChild said:
Andrea was barely functional and in a religious delusion fostered by Randy and his crazy belief system. I doubt seriously she was reading about a 40 year old case in Hawaii that was basically unknown.
Mothers thru recorded time have often drowned their children - just as women thru time more often use poison instead of guns or weapons to kill. She didn't need to find the idea, it was already there in her sick mind. Andrea is severely mentally ill - not just postpartum psychosis but bordering on schizophrenia.
She wasn't right before she killed her children and sadly the mental health professionals and the lack of proper insurance for mental illness failed her - just as it has failed countless others. Munchausen's By Proxy, chronic infanticide, post partum psychosis, acute bi-polar disorder, schizophrenia are ALL disorders than without treatment can lead to innocent children and infants murdered by their mentally ill mother. Left untreated and with disinterested or enabling spouses (like Randy) they can kill. Andrea should have been hospitalized and prevented from having more children long before she killed. Mental health hospitals and proper facilities for those who are a danger to themselves or others should be a priority - sadly we have high priced rehabs on every corner, but no facilities for people who are poor, underinsured or just too sick to be un-supervised.

Excellent post!

I was wondering the same thing. You never know when people will come accross information like that. Not saying she did but its weird and makes you wonder.

I took care of a woman for years who spent most of her adult life in a mental institution after drowning her baby in a lake back in the '40s or '50s. And another woman who was horribly abused by her husband for many years and 'accidentally' killed him with a gun. The sheriff never charged her. Unfortunately her mental state and general anxiety made it impossible for her to ever be at peace here on earth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back