Hot pink plates for busted drunk drivers?

IMO the plates should be used after the first offense. Why do we give people chance after chance after chance when history shows us people continue their pattern?

VB

Vegas Bride said:
IMO the plates should be used after the first offense. Why do we give people chance after chance after chance when history shows us people continue their pattern?

VB
----------

This is being talked about in Ohio also. I think they are also discussing special plates for predators! Yes!!

Vegas Bride said:

VB

i must agree....after the 3rd DUI, a person should simply have their drivers license revoked permanently, instead of a silly pink license plate...they shouldn't be behind the wheel of a car, period....

not proud of this, but i was convicted for DUI in 1998....1st & last one, btw...it just blows my mind how folks can just go about their merry way, with 2, 3, 4 & more DUIs.... :confused:

Nore said:
----------

This is being talked about in Ohio also. I think they are also discussing special plates for predators! Yes!!

now the plate for predators is a good idea....hmmm

Oh my-this would be SO great. I do agree that they should get them sooner though. Maybe after the second offense? I don't condone drunk driving but most people who have had one DUI learn from their mistake, or are young and dumb. Could you imagine having to announce every mistake you made as a teen? Like I said, I think it's a great idea- but I think it should be done after the second offense.

And convicted drunk drivers should be allowed to continue to drive why?

oh, they might lose their job if they aren't able to drive?

tough. :croc:

Revoking the driver's license of a DUI driver is symbolic, but very, very often has no effect whatsoever on whether or not that person continues to drive. We have seen that too many times to believe otherwise. We had a DUI finally convicted here in my state who simply borrowed his girlfriend's vehicle and went out - drunk - and killed 2 college students and seriously injured a third. Now, after about a dozen convictions for DUI and long-ago loss of driver's license, he is being sent to prison.

My uncle was convicted of DUI sometime ago and for months after he had to breathe into some device before he could start his car. To make sure he hadn't had anything to drink. I thought it was a great idea. Added bonus? He hasn't had a drink in 3 years now. I know he had some trouble with the thing when he took cold medicines like dayquil liquid or something, but other than that I thought it was great. Heck, one guy in the town I grew up in lost his license and decided to just drive his lawn mower everywhere. Still drunk, but not in an "automobile".

Predators on the other hand, hmmmm....could they just put a sign on their foreheads instead? Like a tattoo? I know a guy who was accused of sexual assualt on his neighbors kid and did a little jail time and then was living with 5 kids within 6 months of getting out of jail. And if they put it on the predators car, what is to stop him from using someone else's car? Just a thought.

Nore said:
----------

Pink for predators although there was a huge stink over it. I think it's a great idea. However, we do have yellow plates for multiple offenders.

Floh said:

Heh. That's true too. Good one.

daphnec said:
My uncle was convicted of DUI sometime ago and for months after he had to breathe into some device before he could start his car. To make sure he hadn't had anything to drink. I thought it was a great idea. Added bonus? He hasn't had a drink in 3 years now. I know he had some trouble with the thing when he took cold medicines like dayquil liquid or something, but other than that I thought it was great. Heck, one guy in the town I grew up in lost his license and decided to just drive his lawn mower everywhere. Still drunk, but not in an "automobile". QUOTE]

There are three problems diagnosed by mechanics who have worked on cars w/ these devices:
1) Drunks can (and do) blow up a balloon before drinking. The balloon fits over the mechanism and allows the car to start--the balloon air is clean.
2) Friends/relatives/teens looking for $20 can and do blow into the device for previously mentioned drunk.
3) If the car does not start moving w/i 10 minutes, it shuts off--meaning every 10 minutes, the mechanic working on the car has to go blow into it or the engine quits. This is EXTREMELY ANNOYING! It cannot be disconnected for maitenance purposes.

Vegas Bride said:

VB

I agree. The second time or the third time may be the TIME they actually kill someone!!!

:waitasec: So, if your spouse is convicted of DUI do they put the pink license plates on all cars they have access to or only the cars registered in their name? My dh and I have two cars neither which are in my name at all. If he were to get a DUI would our children and I have to suffer embarrassment along with him?

Floh said:

well, you can get a restricted license after a first DUI...one that only allows you to go to work & back, for however long you've lost your license for......course if you're caught out of that area, you'd be arrested....i don't know how it works with a 2nd DUI though....i lost mine for a year, but still drove to work...wouldn't have been able to pay all the fines, & fees for all the classes i had to take, if i hadn't been able to get to work ;)

Opie said:
Revoking the driver's license of a DUI driver is symbolic, but very, very often has no effect whatsoever on whether or not that person continues to drive. We have seen that too many times to believe otherwise. We had a DUI finally convicted here in my state who simply borrowed his girlfriend's vehicle and went out - drunk - and killed 2 college students and seriously injured a third. Now, after about a dozen convictions for DUI and long-ago loss of driver's license, he is being sent to prison.

you're right Opie...it's bad that a drunk driver can go on & on & on for years, without a license, before they're FINALLY locked up....sad that it usually takes someone being killed, & unfortunately it's not always the drunk driver....

lilllbird said:
:waitasec: So, if your spouse is convicted of DUI do they put the pink license plates on all cars they have access to or only the cars registered in their name? My dh and I have two cars neither which are in my name at all. If he were to get a DUI would our children and I have to suffer embarrassment along with him?
In MN they call them whiskey plates, and yes the spouse has to suffer the embarrassment of the plates even if it was not their offense. Though I don't think having a special plate has deterred any of the drinking and driving around here. I see these plates all over lately.

daphnec said:
Heck, one guy in the town I grew up in lost his license and decided to just drive his lawn mower everywhere. Still drunk, but not in an "automobile".
I spit out my beer as I read this. I found that funny. However, I've seen people get ticketed for being drunk on bikes. I'm sure the same applies for a mower. I don't think DUI pertains only to automobiles.

Yes Ohio has yellow plates and they are actually far and few between. Yellow plates in my area means you have like 4 DUI/OWI's. Funny thing is, most of the folks that pass down the judgements in my neck of the woods, like the local police, are known alcoholics too, but they continue to get away with it, just like the local sheriffs, regardless of their badge. We don't even want to touch ground on the illegal drug use the same officials are smoking or snorting. They took an oath and as long as they are sober, will stand behind it, no questions asked. I'm sure I don't live live in the only small community that is forced to live under the same situation. I know of 3 local judges that have violated this state's laws and yet are the ones to pass judgement upon others. I don't care to name names for the the officers that think they are holier than thou either.

Sorry wrong thread, Jesus thread is over there...

I have to ask, is there a way we can demand a valid drug and alcohol test from those that rule our roost without LEGALLY violating their rights, yet control ours? I can be randomly tested at any given time, for walking the dogs at our local shelter or cleaning out cages and I'm not a felon or a drunk. These ruling folks can do anything they want as they see fit and step on their toes, you will lose what was yours. I have seen that way too often.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phernandez22
Back