Mummified Man Found In Front Of TV

Reaction score
Website
www.jrbuilders.com
http://www.nbc5.com/news/11042711/detail.html

HAMPTON BAYS, N.Y. -- A man's body was found in his home more than a year after his death, with the television still on and his features preserved by dry conditions.

Vincenzo Ricardo, 70, apparently died of natural causes, according to Dr. Stuart Dawson, Suffolk County's deputy chief medical examiner. Southampton Town police found Ricardo's body this week when they responded to a report of burst pipes.

He was found in a chair in front of the television set, as though he were watching it. Ricardo's wife died years ago, and he lived alone.

Okay, who was paying his electric bill?????

Wait, my husband said he went to work!!!!! :waitasec:

Seriously though, I don't understand the obvious build-up of mail, bills etc. He probably didn't have any family members to check up on him, but still. The outside world didn't have a clue? How sad.

We had a neighbor that could have very well ended up like this, except that she did rent the home and the landlord was a hound dog about the rent payment. I found her several times on the floor and had to call 911 for her. Her family didn't show up (even though they knew she was real sick and basically helpless) till she was about a month from dying from cancer...and they ended up inheriting about $75,000 after she died.

No way!!

The power would not stay on if the bill wasn't being paid and he had to have power for the TV to be on?

I'm having trouble with this one.

Mom2threestooges said:
http://www.nbc5.com/news/11042711/detail.html

HAMPTON BAYS, N.Y. -- A man's body was found in his home more than a year after his death, with the television still on and his features preserved by dry conditions.

Vincenzo Ricardo, 70, apparently died of natural causes, according to Dr. Stuart Dawson, Suffolk County's deputy chief medical examiner. Southampton Town police found Ricardo's body this week when they responded to a report of burst pipes.

He was found in a chair in front of the television set, as though he were watching it. Ricardo's wife died years ago, and he lived alone.

Okay, who was paying his electric bill?????

Sorry! Missed that you questioned that too!! Was reading your link instead.

teonspaleprincess said:
Maybe his bills were automatically drafted from a bank account?

I think this is a very plausible theory.

It's so sad that no one questioned his whereabouts. I'd like to think that eventually someone in my family would miss me........

teonspaleprincess said:
Maybe his bills were automatically drafted from a bank account?

I have to say i agree. doesn't everyone (or many)pay their electric, phone and rent bills by direct debit nowadays? and have pensions paiddirectly to accounts? go on. shock me and tell me that's not how it's done in the states.
:confused:

that's not how it's done in the states.

the way the horrific abyssmal economy is here (unless you're rich)... most working people can barely keep 2 cents in their bank accounts. too dangerous to do direct deposit.. you don't know if anything's going to be in there.

oh, and what's a pension...???

Many people do direct deposit, I know I do. And if he was dead, he wasn't spending money, so he would have had enough to cover the bill every month.

reb said:
that's not how it's done in the states.

the way the horrific abyssmal economy is here (unless you're rich)... most working people can barely keep 2 cents in their bank accounts. too dangerous to do direct deposit.. you don't know if anything's going to be in there.

oh, and what's a pension...???

You learn something new every day. surely it's not only Europeans who use direct debit to pay bills?

a pension is somehing some people pay into all their working lives and hope to have benifit of by monthly payments after they retire. if all is well with the pension fund they paid into.

No direct deposits or pays for me.

Call me whatever, but I don't trust my finances in the hands of people I don't know and a network of computers....that can malfunction at any time. I'm not so lazy yet that I can't write a few checks each month and drop them in the mail.

Reb, Pensions? exactly!! Most of the people I know are living on social security checks (what there is of that) and the meager amount they've managed to save in their lifetimes.

I still think the media got a little out of hand with this story!!

I can and do go with direct deposits, though sometimes I do call the bank to make sure they are there. As for direct withdrawals, forget it. I'm also not too lazy to write checks and simply don't trust all involved in direct withdrawals. Guess I'm getting old and not "with it."

This has happened in the past... I am looking for the link to a story about a woman that died and mummified in front of the tv.

Ok, here goes... this woman actually had someone overlooking her, after her death:

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/articles/011006MummifiedWoman.html

<TABLE id=table3 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Mummified Woman Found In Front Of TV </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>CINCINNATI-While her family and former caregiver lived downstairs, a dead woman's body was placed in a chair in front of a television set for 2 ½ years because she'd told her caregiver she didn't want to be buried and was planning on returning.

The sister of 61-year-old Johannas Pope called police last week, saying she had seen her sister's corpse during a visit to the house. When police went to investigate, they found the mummified body in front of a playing TV and an air conditioner running.

An autopsy is underway to determine the cause of death but police said there did not appear to be any signs of abuse or foul play. She had reportedly suffered from lupus and had rejected medical care.

Caregiver Cathy Painter, 42, lived downstairs in the house with Pope's 36-year-old daughter and her 3-year-old granddaughter who was born in November after her grandmother had died in August, 2003.

Police said that Painter kept the air conditioner running, covered the heating vents in the winter and used insect repellent to try to deter maggots and flies as the body decayed and eventually mummified.

No charges have been filed and police said that Painter apparently sincerely believed that Pope was coming back to life at some point and was trying to comply with Pope's stated wishes out of "love and loyalty". Painter reportedly visited the body at least once a day. There is no indication that Painter or Pope's daughter benefited in anyway. 1-10-06 <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>

© 2005 North Country Gazette

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

How sad that nobody missed him. :(

I live in the US and I have automatic payments set up from my bank account, so it is possible.

Yes, I'm sure it was automatic payments from his bank account--Direct Deposit and paying bills automatically from your bank account is catching on bigtime here in the US---Anyway, its certainly not surprising that the TV was still working--we never turn our TV off and they still last forever, or so it seems---Regarding the buildup of mail, the policy of the post office is that after a couple of weeks, the mail gets sent back to sender---Its sort of a myth that letter carriers notice something amiss and rescue people or call the cops when mail doesn't get picked up-- People move all the time, especially old people up North move down here to Florida--but this story is pretty sad since its obvious he had no friends or family

Elphaba said:
Ok, here goes... this woman actually had someone overlooking her, after her death:

http://www.northcountrygazette.org/articles/011006MummifiedWoman.html

<TABLE id=table3 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=3 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Mummified Woman Found In Front Of TV </TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>CINCINNATI-While her family and former caregiver lived downstairs, a dead woman's body was placed in a chair in front of a television set for 2 ½ years because she'd told her caregiver she didn't want to be buried and was planning on returning.

The sister of 61-year-old Johannas Pope called police last week, saying she had seen her sister's corpse during a visit to the house. When police went to investigate, they found the mummified body in front of a playing TV and an air conditioner running.

An autopsy is underway to determine the cause of death but police said there did not appear to be any signs of abuse or foul play. She had reportedly suffered from lupus and had rejected medical care.

Caregiver Cathy Painter, 42, lived downstairs in the house with Pope's 36-year-old daughter and her 3-year-old granddaughter who was born in November after her grandmother had died in August, 2003.

Police said that Painter kept the air conditioner running, covered the heating vents in the winter and used insect repellent to try to deter maggots and flies as the body decayed and eventually mummified.

No charges have been filed and police said that Painter apparently sincerely believed that Pope was coming back to life at some point and was trying to comply with Pope's stated wishes out of "love and loyalty". Painter reportedly visited the body at least once a day. There is no indication that Painter or Pope's daughter benefited in anyway. 1-10-06 <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>

© 2005 North Country Gazette

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
---Good Lord--That Cincinnati story reminds me of Norman Bates and Psycho!--That 42 year old "caregiver" is really sick--watching a body slowly decay, trying to keep the maggots away--and the smell--That's one of the strangest stories I've ever read!

Peter Hamilton said:
---Good Lord--That Cincinnati story reminds me of Norman Bates and Psycho!--That 42 year old "caregiver" is really sick--watching a body slowly decay, trying to keep the maggots away--and the smell--That's one of the strangest stories I've ever read!
Nobody could have made this up. :waitasec: Well, did the man/woman come back yet? that was the objective....LOL

Floh said:
I have to say i agree. doesn't everyone (or many)pay their electric, phone and rent bills by direct debit nowadays? and have pensions paiddirectly to accounts? go on. shock me and tell me that's not how it's done in the states.
:confused:
That's how both my grandmothers were set up. SS went into direct deposit, phone, power, cable, natural gas all got drafted as automatic payments. That meant way less stuff for my Aunt and my Mom to have to keep up with. Also, when my Mom's mother went into an assisted living facility for a few months, they were set up as automatic drafts as well.

That's how I am set up now, I have not written a check in over a year. I love it. Even my local dr's office. If I get a bill from them for something that Ins has not covered I just go online, put in their address the amount, the date I want it delivered and away goes my check. Then they are in the system and the next time I just put in the amount, the date I want it delivered and again away goes my check. I do the same for my lawn service and exterminator who are both local.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back