GA - Genarlow Wilson for oral sex with minor, Douglasville, 2004

csds703

Former Member
Reaction score
Feb. 7, 2006 — A wild New Year's Eve two years ago has landed a Georgia teen in prison for 10 years on charges of child molestation in a case that has state legislators reworking the strict law that put him behind bars.

Genarlow Wilson and a group of friends had the kind of bash no parent would want their teenager to attend. Crime scene investigators combing the room in a Days Inn in the small town of Douglasville, Ga., found evidence of drinking, as well as condoms and wrappers littered all over. Plus, there was a video camera.

var oDiv = document.getElementById('columnad'); var embedDiv = document.getElementById('embed_links'); if(oDiv.offsetWidth > 160 && oDiv.offsetHeight > 300) { embedDiv.style.width = "238px"; } else { embedDiv.style.width = "360px"; }

In a portion of a tape obtained by "Primetime," Wilson, then 17 and an honor student and star athlete who was homecoming king, is seen having intercourse with a 17-year-old girl, who was seen earlier on the bathroom floor. During the sex act, she appears to be sleepy or intoxicated but never asks Wilson to stop. Later on in the tape, she is seen being pulled off the bed.

Other portions of the tape show a second girl, who was 15 and later said she did not drink that night. She was recorded having oral sex with several boys in succession, including Wilson.
The following morning, Wilson got a phone call that would change his life. He learned from a friend that the 17-year-old had gone to the police to report that she'd been raped.

"I was, like, 'What? When was this happening? Did this happen at the same party I was at?'" Wilson said. "It was shocking to me."

A Decade in Prison

Authorities believed the 17-year-old alleged rape victim and said she was too intoxicated to consent to any sexual acts, which is what Georgia law requires, otherwise these acts can be considered rape.

Six boys, including Wilson, were arrested on various charges, including rape. District Attorney David McDade said the videotape was critical to his case. "There is no doubt that without the videotape we would have to be relying on the statements of these young people, and that would have been a more difficult prosecution," he said.

Wilson maintained his innocence. "I know that it was consensual," he told "Primetime." "I wouldn't went on with the acts if it wasn't consensual. I'm not that kind of person. No means no."

Five of the boys accepted plea deals, but Wilson — the only one without a police record — held out. "I knew Genarlow's state of mind," said his attorney, Michael Mann. "He wasn't going to prison willingly. He wasn't going to plea to something in his mind he didn't do."

He stood trial in February 2005 for five days. And at first, the jury's deliberations moved swiftly. Jurors voted to acquit Wilson of raping the 17-year-old.

"I mean it wasn't even an hour," said jury forewoman Marie Manigault. "We immediately saw the tape for what it was. We went back and saw it again and saw what actually happened and everybody immediately said not guilty."

But there was one other charge the jury had to decide on. The second girl in the videotape was 15, and the age of consent in Georgia is 16. And under state law, prosecutors charged Wilson with aggravated child molestation. To those close to the young man, it was an outrage.

"Nobody could believe that this is the law," Mann said.

Even jurors frowned on the charge. "A bad law, absolutely," Manigault said.

And in Georgia, that they'd had oral sex made matters worse. Until 1998, oral sex between husband and wife was illegal, punishable by up to 20 years in prison. In Wilson's case, even though he is only two years older than the girl, she was 15 and — willing or not — could not consent legally that night.
Whatever their feelings about the law, jurors felt they had no choice but to find Wilson guilty of aggravated child molestation. Moments later, back in the jury room, jurors were told for the first time that the conviction came with a mandatory sentence of at least 10 years in prison. In addition, Wilson would be forced to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/LegalCenter/story?id=1693362&page=1

This was a 17 yr old kid having sex with a 15 yr old girl and doing 10 years.
His life is ruined. He has to register as a sex offender.

If this law was enforced in my child's high school 90% of the boys would be sex offenders.

csds703 said:
...If this law was enforced in my child's high school 90% of the boys would be sex offenders.
Oh well...I personally think that it is disgusting that a 15-year-old girl would be performing oral sex on a group of guys at a party; and I also think that it is disgusting for the guys to wait in line for it. That being said, the laws do need to be changed. This young man, IMO, should have taken a plea deal. It was offered to him; and he refused it. He was guilty, whether he, you, I or anyone else likes it. If he were my child, I would have advised him to take the deal, admit his mistake and move on with his life.

Just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't justify it. If you get caught, you may suffer the consequences... It's like saying that everyone speeds. So what? Does that make it legal? Does it mean that you shouldn't have to pay the fine because you were stopped but your neighbor wasn't? Ask a judge what he thinks. ;)

nanandjim said:
Oh well...I personally think that it is disgusting that a 15-year-old girl would be performing oral sex on a group of guys at a party; and I also think that it is disgusting for the guys to wait in line for it. That being said, the laws do need to be changed. This young man, IMO, should have taken a plea deal. It was offered to him; and he refused it. He was guilty, whether he, you, I or anyone else likes it. If he were my child, I would have advised him to take the deal, admit his mistake and move on with his life.

Just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't justify it. If you get caught, you may suffer the consequences... It's like saying that everyone speeds. So what? Does that make it legal? Does it mean that you shouldn't have to pay the fine because you were stopped but your neighbor wasn't? Ask a judge what he thinks. ;)

Even if taking the plea deal, admitting his mistake and moving on with his life would brand him as a child molesting sex offender for the rest of his life?

Something really doesn't sound right. Why would both cases be tried together and did anyone explain to this guy that the jury would have no choice in the case of the 15 year old girl so that he might make a plea on that one? Whoever supplied these kids with alcohol should also go to jail, all the kids should go to alchohol rehab and fined for MIP, and the 15 year old girl should be sent to a mental hospital for treatment. There should also be a sting all over Georgia and any johns who are frequenting 15-16 year old drug addicted prostitutes should also go to prison for 10 years.

Unjust sentences should not be a tool to encourage plea deals - plead guilty or else - this needs to be reversed, and the law needs to be changed.

I'd like to think teenagers don't have sex, that we can stop them - but reality is in a lot of cultures, they're already married - they know what it is, and they can't be kept in a prison. So far as that goes - oral sounds better than alternatives, and I think the law needs to always consider the age gap, rather than just the age in a case like this.

I hope this lowlife enjoys his long prison sentence--There is no excuse for the 15 year old being there, and that's why this kid was found guilty--Oh yeah, and the fact that these stupid idiots VIDEOTAPED it--too funny

Details said:
Unjust sentences should not be a tool to encourage plea deals - plead guilty or else - this needs to be reversed, and the law needs to be changed.
This is so true. I'm embarrassed to be from Georgia right now.

I think it's important to find out who supplied these kids with alcohol and a hotel room.

These are kids, and why would this girl get that drunk with a bunch of guys? I don't want to put blame on the girl for being "raped", but come on. Perhaps we can say the guy was raped because he was drunk too and didn't know what he was doing. Was the girl passed out?
I wouldn't call a 17 year old who gets oral from a 15 year old a lowlife. Kids are having sex these days and it's silly to believe they don't. Where did this innocent 15 year old learn how to give oral, I'm sure this wasn't her first time. Where are the parents and who provided these children with the means to have this happen?
I think it's an absolute shame this boy is getting jail time.

This really isnt fair. Morally wrong or whatever you want to call it teens are doing it these days. 15 isnt even that shocking to me to be honest with you. Yea like another poster stated before me my daughters high school would probably be completely shut down if they went around charging all of the teenagers who are having sex. Kids are going to do what they are going to do..they are like people that way.

Mygirlsadie said:
This really isnt fair. Morally wrong or whatever you want to call it teens are doing it these days. 15 isnt even that shocking to me to be honest with you. Yea like another poster stated before me my daughters high school would probably be completely shut down if they went around charging all of the teenagers who are having sex. Kids are going to do what they are going to do..they are like people that way.
The fact is, this girl wasn't raped. Even the jury cleared him of those charges. It was consensual sex between two kids.
As you said, taking the morals out of this, this is a case of stupid kids doing stupid things.
This boy is in jail for 10 years and branded a sex offender.

Peter Hamilton said:
I hope this lowlife enjoys his long prison sentence--There is no excuse for the 15 year old being there, and that's why this kid was found guilty--Oh yeah, and the fact that these stupid idiots VIDEOTAPED it--too funny

Okay, sorry, been biting my tongue all morning. Did I miss the post that said that this boy held the girl at gunpoint and made her do the things she did? If I did, I apologize.

And ,no, I do not have a 17 year old son that I am trying to defend. My son is eleven and I can only pray that he will use better judgement.

However, I do have a 16 year old daughter. And knowing a lot of 16 year old girls, would not be surprised at this beahviour from a 15 year old girl.

But WHY? Does the boy get all the blame when she was apparently very consenting?

By judging from the girls at my daughter's school vs. the boys, I would trust the boys more ANYDAY of the week...

And 15 vs. 17 is not that far apart in phyical or mental differences...

And yet the guys get all of the blame.....

Geez, people, look around you, girls are BEGGING for it these days! And yet, we never blame them. Did she say NO?

hmmmmm. did not read that she did...

Perhaps she should go to prison also????

csds703 said:
The fact is, this girl wasn't raped. Even the jury cleared him of those charges. It was consensual sex between two kids.
As you said, taking the morals out of this, this is a case of stupid kids doing stupid things.
This boy is in jail for 10 years and branded a sex offender.
I agree completely

Peter?? Her parents are the reason that she has such low self esteem that she would act out in such ways.

Who lets their 15 YO out unsupervised on New Years eve??
Perhaps they were to busy partying themselves?

I have two teenaged daughters (14 and 15) and I always know where they are and who they are with.

It is very sad she allowed herself to be used that way, but she was not assaulted.

Amraann said:
Peter?? Her parents are the reason that she has such low self esteem that she would act out in such ways.

Who lets their 15 YO out unsupervised on New Years eve??
Perhaps they were to busy partying themselves?

Thank you!!!!!!

mrsjonnob said:
I have two teenaged daughters (14 and 15) and I always know where they are and who they are with.

It is very sad she allowed herself to be used that way, but she was not assaulted.

And again, amen......

IMO

Did anyone here see the PBS Frontline Special "The Lost Children of Rockdale County"?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/georgia/

It was an excellent documentary about what some teens do when their parents aren't around. Let's face it, we can't always be with them every second in their teen years. Good parenting or not, this type of thing can be happening w/your child.

If I recall correctly there were some absolutely negligent parents interviewed as well as your average working parents that weren't home between the crucial hours of 3-6 p.m., which was when a lot of the sex parties happened to be taking place w/these kids. :(

I sat down with my teen at the time and we watched this together. This county had an explosive increase in syphilis cases, and this doc perhaps explains why.

"Conyers, Georgia is a prosperous bedroom community just outside Atlanta. FRONTLINE examines the link between an outbreak of syphilis among a group of its teenagers and the well-off community in which they live. The film reveals a parent's worst nightmare--children as young as fourteen naming scores of sexual partners; others telling of binge drinking, drugs and sex parties. In a series of intertwining profiles, FRONTLINE uncovers the roots of the Conyers syphilis epidemic and reveals the turbulent psychology of America's suburban teenagers."

I'd sure like to see an update to this film.

BirdieBoo said:
Even if taking the plea deal, admitting his mistake and moving on with his life would brand him as a child molesting sex offender for the rest of his life?
That's a hard one. The law was clear; and I'd be afraid that the jury would have to go by the law. I'd have to see if my lawyer could negotiate that aspect. If not, I guess that I would have to weigh which sentence would be worse.

~~~~
I wonder why the 17 yr old boy's lawyer did not suggest filing counter charges of rape. He was also underage and apparently also drinking and therefore unable to 'make a rational cognitive judgement of consent' with either the 17 yr old girl or the 15 year old girl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kupsa
Back