886 users online (165 members and 721 guests)  

Websleuths News

CA - Teacher accused of hitting, kicking students

http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories...21707070.shtml

First-grade teacher on leave after hitting accusation

PICO RIVERA, Calif. (AP) - A first-grade teacher was placed on leave after she allegedly hit and kicked fifth-graders who ran through her class during physical education, school officials said.

Ten-year-old Lauren Lopez said she and her classmates at Meller Elementary School were told by another teacher to run laps Thursday morning, and as they ran by the first-grade teacher's class she "just started tripping and kicking kids."

The girl said she and 11 other classmates had bruises and scratches. Pupils also said the teacher urged her first-graders to fight with the older children.

Officials said all of the pupils' injuries were minor and counselors would be made available.

The teacher, whom officials did not identify, was placed on leave while the sheriff's department investigates, said Norbert Genis, superintendent of the El Rancho Unified School District.

Some parents said they were angry that they weren't told about the incident until hours afterward.

"They questioned the kids without us being here. They took pictures without us being here," said Priscilla Garcia, mother of 10-year-old Christina Garcia, who said she was kicked in the leg.

Why was she placed on leave? Why wasn't she fired?

We recently had a yard duty at our school wig out and start screaming and cussing at some of the older kids during recess- She ended up throwing her whistle and clipboard down and quitting on the spot. I am sure it gets frustrating to deal with some of the mouthy kids, but sheeeesh.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Weird, weird, weird.

I know that the majority of teachers really are good people and making a positive difference in children's lives. But, it doesn't take too many stories like this before it starts seeming like there's ALWAYS some bad teacher in the news. It never seems to end!
    Just thinkin' out loud....

The teaching profession over the years has changed.

Fifty years ago the "profession" was highly paid, attracting to education some of the finest people. Salaries were considered very good. Then came the computer revolution, which robbed schools of top teachers, especially in math and science. Today teachers are looked upon as "dedicated," and their salaries match the word. Top grads usually opt for a degree in anything but education.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjonnob
    Why was she placed on leave? Why wasn't she fired?

We recently had a yard duty at our school wig out and start screaming and cussing at some of the older kids during recess- She ended up throwing her whistle and clipboard down and quitting on the spot. I am sure it gets frustrating to deal with some of the mouthy kids, but sheeeesh.
    Because they have a strong union, and never seem to just get fired. These things happen a lot, and a letter is put in their file. She will teach again...

Kids can be easy. The key word is CAN. You have to treat kids like people. They aren't little cardboard items to be bossed around. You have to talk to them, reason with them, give them explanations. You just can't start BOSSING and expect all to go well. Nobody likes that, even little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Trino
    The teaching profession over the years has changed.

Fifty years ago the "profession" was highly paid, attracting to education some of the finest people. Salaries were considered very good. Then came the computer revolution, which robbed schools of top teachers, especially in math and science. Today teachers are looked upon as "dedicated," and their salaries match the word. Top grads usually opt for a degree in anything but education.
    That isn't really true. Teacher's were never well paid, but it was one of the only professions that a women could enter, instead of Dr., Lawyer, Engineer, you know the drill. Only really smart, driven ladies became teachers, it was an acceptable career. Now, instead of the cream of the crop becoming teachers, we are lucky to get "whatever". My son has had some teachers that shouldn't be working in the state pen. So there you go. We get what we pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Garnan
    That isn't really true. Teacher's were never well paid, but it was one of the only professions that a women could enter, instead of Dr., Lawyer, Engineer, you know the drill. Only really smart, driven ladies became teachers, it was an acceptable career. Now, instead of the cream of the crop becoming teachers, we are lucky to get "whatever". My son has had some teachers that shouldn't be working in the state pen. So there you go. We get what we pay for.
    I agree with your post....but I also think that even the dedicated wonderful teachers do not recieve the funding nor support needed for them to perform as well as they would like to.

On the other hand though, teaching doesn't require a Master's degree, they get most of the summer off, lots of sick days, all the holidays, retirement plans, insurance, good back up from administrators against being fired, pretty good work hours, decent pay, and about the same amount of stress or less depending on their districts as many other positions. Compared to something similar in pay, demand, and educational requirements like registered nursing, law enforcement, social work, or managing a business, etc. they have lots better job security and better hours.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki
    On the other hand though, teaching doesn't require a Master's degree.
    It does in some states. I believe New York State will only give you a provisional teaching certificate which allows you 5 years to complete your Master's. I have a few friends who are school teachers and each of them went on to get their Master's and they made it sound like it was mandatory.