GUILTY MN - Destiny Weaver, 2, found dead, Grand Forks, Feb 2007

No charges have been filed? At least they did take the other children away. I feel especially sorry for the one who lost her twin.

From your link:

Jody Weaver, 38, is Destiny's mother. She and Clarence Smith, who is in his mid-30s, each drove a vehicle from Grand Forks that day, Macki said. They stopped at the Kruse In gas station/convenience store in St. Hilaire, Minn., which is about halfway between Grand Forks and Smith's home east of Grygla, Minn.

Shortly before 5 p.m. Feb. 12, Smith called the Pennington County Sheriff's Office in Thief River Falls to report the dead child was in the car trunk. Two sheriff's vehicles and an ambulance responded and picked up the child's body in St. Hilaire, which is about 8 miles south of Thief River Falls and about 42 miles northeast of East Grand Forks. Deputies also took Weaver, Smith and Weaver's two other children into Thief River Falls for questioning.

So, it was the boyfriend who called LE? That's a switch from the usual in these cases. I wonder if they were planning to claim they let Destiny ride in the trunk (alive) and then discovered her death that day or if Smith had a pang of conscience.

I wonder why she was allowed to have those children if an older child was already removed from the home? And why didn't they seek medical attention IF she was having flu-like symptoms? I think they will find that this angel suffered greatly.

Investigation into child death continues

http://www.kxnet.com/getArticle.asp?s=rss&ArticleId=98169

A Grand Forks apartment building
manager says there were no outward signs of problems with a family
involved in a death investigation.

Jason Jarvi says he had no idea anything was amiss until police
showed up to search the apartment where Jody Weaver lived with her
three children.

This case is really a puzzle. If the baby was sick she should have been taken to the hospital. So many people have died from that same type of flu recently. The mom might not have thought the baby was that sick. I won't blame her for anything until we know more about the case...except wondering why she didn't get medical attention for the baby.

Maybe it bothered the boyfriend that the baby was dead in the trunk of a car. Hard to know why he decided to contact LE but I'm glad that he did.
He may not have even been there when the baby died but did help by driving away with her along with the mother. I would think if he was involved in anyway with the death of the baby he wouldn't have called LE.

Bobbisangel said:
I would think if he was involved in anyway with the death of the baby he wouldn't have called LE.

I agree. It remains to be seen whether or not the child actually died of the flu. If so, why did the mother keep the body for 12 days? That is just messed up.

In my opinion, the mother talked the boyfriend into helping her dispose of the body and the boyfriend agreed at first, but then thought better of the idea and decided to call the police.

My first inclination was to think that they were moving Destiny's body into a non-death penalty state....but neither state has the death penalty.....now I understand about extradition and all that, but momma ain't too bright, clearly. So sad that a child has lost their life in all this.

This one is just plain weird.

Yakwoman said:
I agree. It remains to be seen whether or not the child actually died of the flu. If so, why did the mother keep the body for 12 days? That is just messed up.

In my opinion, the mother talked the boyfriend into helping her dispose of the body and the boyfriend agreed at first, but then thought better of the idea and decided to call the police.

Twelve days :furious: I guess I missed that important piece of info. I hope we hear more about this so we know what was really going on but I think you are probably right about the boyfriend.

Jul 19 2007 7:12PM
Associated Press
Grand Forks woman charged with child abuse arrested in Minnesota

(Help from Jessica Dugan, WDAZ, Grand Forks) GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) A Grand Forks woman facing felony child abuse charges has been arrested in Minnesota.

Thirty-eight-year-old Jody Weaver is accused of exposing her two young children to the decomposing body of their 2-year-old sister.

Weaver, the mother of Destiny Weaver, was charged last week in Northeast Central District Court with two felony counts of abuse or neglect of a child ... misdemeanor willful disturbance of a dead body ... and misdemeanor failure to report a death.

snip

Jody Weaver's boyfriend, Clarence Smith, is charged with misdemeanor willful disturbance of a dead body and misdemeanor failure to report a death.

http://www.kxnet.com/getArticle.asp?setCity=min&ArticleId=145247

Sep 16, 2008 8:24 am US/Central

A Sept. 23 trial has been set for a Grand Forks woman charged with keeping the decomposed corpse of her young daughter at home while her two other children were present.

snip

Clarence Smith of Grgyla, Minn., was given 60 days in jail for his role in transporting the child's body. Smith was Jody Weaver's boyfriend.

http://wcco.com/crime/neglect.decomposing.body.2.818572.html

BBM

im betting she killed the kid and i was thinking that before i read that comment.

I'm not finding any sentencing data on Jody.

From November 2008:

http://www.parkrapidsenterprise.com/content/destinys-mother-sentenced-child-neglect-case

Judge Sonja Clapp of the District Court ordered Weaver to serve two years in jail with all but three months suspended -- the same sentence suggested by Assistant State's Attorney Jason McCarthy and Weaver's attorney, Public Defender Rebecca McGurran.

Weaver, 38, pleaded guilty in September to a pair of felony counts of child neglect for keeping her toddler's corpse at home with her two other children present. She also admitted to misdemeanor charges of willful disturbance of a dead body and failure to report a death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back