1292 users online (242 members and 1050 guests)  

Websleuths News

IN - Margaret 'Peggy' Sherman, 27, Indianapolis, 2 Aug 1995

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
    Missing Since: August 2, 1995 from Indianapolis, Indiana
    Classification: Endangered Missing
    Date Of Birth: August 11, 1967
    Height and Weight: 5'7, 180 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Sherman wears eyeglasses. Her ears are pierced.

Details of Disappearance
    Sherman was last seen at her residence in Indianapolis, Indiana on August 2, 1995. She disappeared sometime during the day and has never been heard from again. Sherman's white four-door 1990 Chevrolet Lumina was discovered abandoned in Greenwood, Indiana several days after she was reported missing. A photo of the vehicle is posted below this case summary. There was no sign of Sherman at the scene. Her case remains unsolved.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/..._margaret.html

Searching For Peggy

Imagine if your daughter disappeared. For nearly 12 years, Joe and Frances Sherman have been haunted by their daughter's disappearance. On August 2, 1995, 27-year old Peggy Sherman disappeared. She has not been seen since.

"I don't think we'll ever find her," said Frances Sherman.

Why has the case been so difficult to solve? Detective Monica Endres of IMPD's Missing Person Unit says the answer is simple.

"We don't have a body," said Endres.

Detective Endres is frustrated the Peggy Sherman case remains unsolved. Investigators want to believe she's alive. But they say the evidence points in another direction.

"I personally feel that she's probably been killed," said Endres.

Richard Windisch is retired now. But he was one of the first detectives to handle the Sherman case. He had questions about the man who lived with Peggy. "My particular suspect was Kenny Slate. I say that because as far as I know, he was the last person to see her," says Windisch.

"Peggy's not dead," Slate insisted when we interviewed him outside of his east side Indianapolis home. Slate believes Peggy ran off to Canada. He claims Peggy mailed him two dolls and some coins for his birthday, but he didn't show the items to Eyewitness News. "Me and Peggy were like this," Slate said as he crossed his fingers. "She was my friend."

In August of 1995, Kenny Slate and Peggy Sherman lived in the 4500 block of Grace Street on the city's east side. The night before she went missing, police say Peggy talked on the phone with two people - her mother and another man. The next morning, Slate said Peggy left the house to have her car repaired.

"I guess she was going to get an alternator and get it fixed," Slate said.

When Peggy didn't show up for work at National City Bank in downtown Indianapolis, her parents filed a missing person report. Police discovered her car in Greenwood a few days later, but Peggy was gone.

The Shermans say Peggy kept $50,000 hidden in a freezer. But when police came to Peggy's house to investigate, the money was gone. Authorities say they made a disturbing discovery inside the home:

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=6128771

IN - Margaret "Peggy" Sherman, 27, Indianapolis, 2 Aug 1995

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1316dfin.html

Margaret Sherman
    Missing since August 2, 1995 from Indianapolis, Indiana.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
    •Date Of Birth: August 11, 1967
    •Age at Time of Disappearance: 27 years old
    •Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7"; 180 lbs.
    •Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes. She wears glasses. Her ears are pierced
    •AKA: Peggy
    •Dentals: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Sherman was last seen on August 2, 1995 at her home in Indianapolis. In August of 1995, Peggy Sherman lived with a friend in the 4500 block of Grace Street on the city's east side. The night before she went missing, Peggy talked on the phone with two people - her mother and another man. The next morning, Peggy left the house to have her car repaired.
    When Peggy didn't show up for work at National City Bank in downtown Indianapolis, her parents filed a missing person report. Her vehicle, a 1990 white Chevrolet Lumina; 4 door was recovered in Greenwood, IN 1st week in August 1995.
    Peggy kept $50,000 hidden in a freezer, but when police came to Peggy's house to investigate, the money was gone.
    Police found blood on a mattress that had sections cut out of it. DNA tests revealed there was a 99.9 % chance it was Peggy's blood. Detectives found Peggy's blood on all four walls, a bedpost, a lamp and the ceiling.
    Cadaver dogs made a hit on the trunk of a disabled car parked in Peggy's garage. Detectives say a car cover was missing. Police never found the car cover or Peggy.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department
    Missing Persons Unit
    Detective Monica Endres
    317-327-6613

Pictures of Peggy and her car which is still missing also.

Peggy has been missing 15 years today. Hoping she returns soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Shermans say Peggy kept $50,000 hidden in a freezer. But when police came to Peggy's house to investigate, the money was gone. Authorities say they made a disturbing discovery inside the home.

They found blood on the mattress that had sections cut out of it. DNA tests revealed there was a 99.9 % chance it was Peggy's blood. Slate claims Peggy started her period. "Peggy cut it out and wadded it up and threw it in the trash and I helped her flip the mattress," Slate recalled. Detectives found Peggy's blood on all four walls, a bedpost, a lamp and the ceiling. Slate provided this explanation. "[Peggy] cut her finger deep," Slate said.

Authorities say cadaver dogs made a hit on the trunk of a disabled car parked in Peggy's garage. Detectives say a car cover was missing. "To me, that says she might have been brought out to the car. Maybe something seeped through the car cover. Maybe the car cover was used to wrap her further," Windisch says. Police never found the car cover or Peggy.

When I asked Windisch if he thought Peggy Sherman was buried on the property, the retired detective said, "I think there's as good a chance as any."

It seems there are two threads on this case.

Dang thank you Ruby!

I swear I do tag searches I must have missed that one!

I'll let a mod know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Dang thank you Ruby!

I swear I do tag searches I must have missed that one!

I'll let a mod know.
    LOL, that happens. Sometimes I do searches and it doesn't show and then suddenly there is another one.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/28021/1/

DNA Status: Sample available - Not yet submitted

Dental Statusental information / charting is available and will be entered later