Africanized bees confirmed hazard on Treasure Coast

Shadow205

Reaction score
VERO BEACH— Highly aggressive Africanized bees — the so-called killer bees — now are confirmed all along the Treasure Coast, posing a health hazard in coming years, state officials say.

The confirmed numbers are small, but they are the front edge of the bees' dominating advance across Florida, from port areas: Miami, Port Everglades, Tampa and Pensacola, says William Kern, an Africanized bee expert with the University of Florida's Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center. Currently, they are in at least half of Florida's 67 counties.

The bees are taking over so quickly they could completely displace regular wild European bees in Florida in a decade, Kern said.

<snip>

St. Lucie County Cooperative Extension Service Director Anita Neal says, "We don't want to scare people but we do want them to be aware." Her office has trained hundreds of government employees and landscape workers in dealing with Africanized bees.

more at the link http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/local_news/article/0,2545,TCP_16736_5374583,00.html

Yikes! Between the killer bees and the Wal-Mart snakes, I'm kind of afraid to go to Florida now... ;) Hee hee!

:laugh:
hipmamajen said:
Yikes! Between the killer bees and the Wal-Mart snakes, I'm kind of afraid to go to Florida now... ;) Hee hee!
Don't forget all of the sharks that closed the beaches last week.

Ok you guys! I won't put my hands in Walmarts flowers. :doh:

Yikes on the bee's. We surveyed our entire property to make sure there were no hiding nests.

I'm glad I don't live in the Treasure Coast, I hate bees!

Of course....I'm still trying to figure out how to co-exist with this alligator in my backyard pond :eek:

hipmamajen said:
You forgot the burgeoning python population, the alligators, and the crocodiles, and the mosquitos--oh, and the giant rats, and the walking catfish, and the giant cockroaches that they call palmetto bugs, and the no-see-ums, and the very serious bug problem--all kinds of bugs, flying bugs, big bugs, little bugs, crawlingbugs--bugs, bugs, and more bugs.........................

About the Walmart "snakes" it was 7 in TWENTY years...

About the bee's ?? This IMO is like JAWS..
The media can fluff it up.. It makes for a great headline!!
But in reality?? Bee's do not attack if left alone.

Amraann said:
About the Walmart "snakes" it was 7 in TWENTY years...

About the bee's ?? This IMO is like JAWS..
The media can fluff it up.. It makes for a great headline!!
But in reality?? Bee's do not attack if left alone.
It doesn't take a whole lot to set off Aficanized honeybees, at least that's what the many people who have been attacked say.

With all the pasture land being developed its causing the animal kingdom to start moving. I have been seeing "road kill" all over what use to be country roads. Its a shame.

Beyond Belief said:
With all the pasture land being developed its causing the animal kingdom to start moving. I have been seeing "road kill" all over what use to be country roads. Its a shame.
Same here, the coyotes are being hit by vehicles all the time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back