814 users online (91 members and 723 guests)  

Websleuths News

PA - Students Break Teacher's Neck Over iPod

Back in the day I got my walk-man confiscated until the end of the school year. I was angry of course, but not this angry.

http://www.wsbtv.com/education/11101719/detail.html

PHILADELPHIA -- Police said they arrested and charged two students Friday in an attack on a Germantown High School over an iPod.

Officials said 60-year-old math and photography teacher Frank Burd had two broken bones in his neck after the attack.

"You could hear it break. You could hear when he fell on the ground," said Synquetta Reid, a student who saw the incident.

School officials said the teacher had taken an iPod from a student during class, and after class, two students, a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old, were waiting in the hall for him. One student pushed him and another threw a punch, police said.

"He fell ... on his face. After that, they turned him over and there was all this blood," Reid said.

"I've been told that there's no paralysis involved, but nevertheless, a broken neck is a serious injury," said Paul Vallas, CEO of the Philadelphia School District.

The attackers fled the scene, but police later took a ninth-grader and an eleventh-grader into custody.

They were charged Friday with aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. A determination has yet to be made on whether the arrested students would face the charges as juveniles or adults.

School officials said the ninth-grader had previously been expelled and was up for expulsion again due to disruptive behavior.

On Friday night, the Germantown High School Alumni Association was celebrating former students who have done the school proud at a fundraiser for construction of a new school library.

Not many of the attendees were past students of Burd's, who has been at the school for 11 years, but they all knew him. He was supposed to be taking pictures at Friday's event.

Despite an absence that was beyond his control, Burd was apparently the one apologizing.

"You know what he said? 'There goes my 100-percent attendance.' That's what he said because he never misses a day," according to principal Dr. Rose Ford. "... He called back to let me know how he was doing and that he'll be back soon."

The spirit may want to rejoin classes soon, but his body might not be able to for some time. Burd remained in intensive care Friday night.

"Actually, the kids wanted to go and see him. We told them that we would wait and send cards, and I confirmed that Mr. Burd is doing well," Ford said.

Some students said Burd was the last teacher they expected to be targeted.

"I didn't believe it was Mr. Burd because I wouldn't think anyone would do something like that to him," said one girl.

What is the world coming to? (poor English, but the sentiment is real)

PA - Students break Teachers neck over iPod, Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA -- Police said they arrested and charged two students Friday in an attack on a Germantown High School over an iPod.

Officials said 60-year-old math and photography teacher Frank Burd had two broken bones in his neck after the attack.

link

Respectfully,
    dark_shadows

Good grief! The teacher must have been trying to take the ipod until after school or something. Kids shouldn't even be allowed to bring stuff like that to school with them or else it should be left in their locker during the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbisangel
    Good grief! The teacher must have been trying to take the ipod until after school or something. Kids shouldn't even be allowed to bring stuff like that to school with them or else it should be left in their locker during the day.
    I Agree they should not be permitted to bring such things to school and since the teacher took it away the school probably doesn't allow it.
    Some schools do.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by Opie
    What is the world coming to? (poor English, but the sentiment is real)
    Same here. I don't get it. Sigh.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain
    ~snip~
    School officials said the teacher had taken an iPod from a student during class, and after class, two students, a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old, were waiting in the hall for him. One student pushed him and another threw a punch, police said.

The attackers fled the scene, but police later took a ninth-grader and an eleventh-grader into custody.

They were charged Friday with aggravated assault, simple assault and reckless endangerment, police said. A determination has yet to be made on whether the arrested students would face the charges as juveniles or adults.

School officials said the ninth-grader had previously been expelled and was up for expulsion again due to disruptive behavior.
    Pre-meditated assault by two high school age teenage ****s on a sixty year old man and there is a question as to whether they will be charged as juveniles or adults? They need to charge these little bastards as adults and make them pay the adult consequences for their actions. Otherwise, they'll get the message that they can cause grevious, potentially lethal harm and walk away from it. And no, I don't care that incarcerating them with hardened criminals will only perpetuate their antisocial behavior. I think they're already there.

And why was the previously expelled ninth-grader back in school? In my day, expelled was expelled. Maybe if he wasn't allowed back into school, this would not have occured.

Quote Originally Posted by FFWifey
    Pre-meditated assault by two high school age teenage ****s on a sixty year old man and there is a question as to whether they will be charged as juveniles or adults? They need to charge these little bastards as adults and make them pay the adult consequences for their actions. Otherwise, they'll get the message that they can cause grevious, potentially lethal harm and walk away from it. And no, I don't care that incarcerating them with hardened criminals will only perpetuate their antisocial behavior. I think they're already there.

And why was the previously expelled ninth-grader back in school? In my day, expelled was expelled. Maybe if he wasn't allowed back into school, this would not have occured.

I like the way you think!

I agree. Could not have said it better.

Little disrespectful punks. They should throw them in jail to get knocked around by some hardened inmates.

Quote Originally Posted by FFWifey

My sentiments exactly.

I cannot even begin to comprhend this...... I really can't........

Sad, sad world we are living in these days.....

School Violence

4/10/07~ Two Headline Video Clips on School Violence on CNN today...

Student breaks teacher's neck when he takes student's i-pod. Another teacher was hit and knocked out cold when student attacks him breaking his jaw. Another teacher was attacked by a female student who choked him with his own tie, taking police an hour and a half to respond. Yet, another teacher was sprayed with a fire extinguisher.

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...y.violence.cnn

Mom incites fistfight on shool bus:

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/play...s.beating.wtsp
    "Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."~ Plato
    ~The above reflects only my opinion...