NJ NJ - Woodland Twp, WhtMale 23-31, UP1444, poss RA/walk w/ limp, money clip & fool's gold, Jan'88

ihadcabinfever

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/284umnj.html

Discovered on January 31, 1988 in a wooded area of Woodland Township, Burlington County, New Jersey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 24 - 30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8" - 5'11"; 140 - 180 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair. He possibly walked with a limp on either side.
Dentals: Dental records available.
Clothing: He was wearing blue jeans, a brown strap belt with a metal buckle and white Jockey shorts, size 30-32.
A gold colored moneyclip missing an insignia and a piece of Fool's Gold (iron pyrite) was found in the pocket of the jeans.

vs
John Francis Lango
Missing since January 1, 1988 from Pottsville, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: February 5, 1970
Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'1; 185 lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Red hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: A burn scar on his upper right arm.
Clothing: A gray jacket, jeans and tennis shoes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Lango was last seen leaving his home at midnight on January 1, 1988 (New Year's Day).

I don't see it as a match at all. UID estimated to have died in 1987, had brown hair and was certainly below 6' tall. Lango had red hair, was missing less than one month before this UID was found and was 6'1".

Mark Weisman reportedly walked with a limp and [IMO] he looks like the reconstruction on NamUs.

Mark's height and weight are about the same as the UID. He would have been 32 in 1987, which is slighter over the estimate of between 23 to 31. There is no mention of a shoulder injury in the UID, though, which Mark reportedly had. Also, I am not sure if he had any ties to New Jersey.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Original
Original

7 Exclusions -
MP19371 Craig Alexander 01/28/1985 Chittenden VT
MP5057 Michael Alfinito 03/25/1984 Queens NY
MP3117 Steven Anderson 04/07/1975 Burlington NJ
MP7624 Gerald Bradshaw 04/06/1982 Virginia Beach VA
MP34437 William Gerald Jr. 07/08/1978 Atlantic NJ
MP20143 Brandon Robbins 08/21/1982 Cape May NJ
MP4912 Randolph Sedlack 11/24/1983 Montgomery VA

CASE NUMBER - 284UMNJ
Date of Discovery: January 31, 1988
Location of Discovery: Burlington Cnty, Burlington County, New Jersey
Estimated Date of Death: Unknown
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial Skeletal Remains
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 23 - 31
Race: White
Height: 5'8"-5'11"
Weight: 140-180
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Individual possibly walked with a limp. Possible bilateral aseptic necrosis of right upper leg bone. Individual possibly had rheumatoid arthritis of leg and been treated with steroids or could have had trauma to the leg.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. 3 and 14 Have Carabelli cusp; 8 and 9 are shovel shaped
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Blue jeans "Lee"; white jockey shorts (size 30-32)
Jewelry: Brown belt with metallic buckle; round metallic key ring clipped to trousers
Additional Personal Items: A gold colored money clip missing an insignia and a piece of Fool's Gold (iron pyrite) was found in the pocket of the jeans

Circumstances of Discovery
The victim was found in a wooded area in Woodland Township, Burlington County, New Jersey.

BBM

From Doe profile: Dentals: Available. 3 and 14 Have Carabelli cusp; 8 and 9 are shovel shaped

Shovel-shaped incisors - Wikipedia
Shovel-shaped incisors are significantly common in Amerindians from North, Central and South America. They are also common in East and Central Asians, Hungarians, the Inuit and Aleut peoples of Northeast Asia and North America (including but not limited to the Inuit peoples of eastern Alaska, arctic Canada and Greenland).[1][2][3][4] In Europeans and Africans, shovel-shaped upper incisors are uncommon or not present.[1]
#

I'm confused about the shovel-shaped incisors. Am I understanding the Wikipedia entry correctly in that shovel-shaped incisors are non-existent among White/Caucasian people? Also, I think I've read WS posts saying about the same when discussing shovel-shaped teeth. This caught my attention because JD's race/ethnicity is listed as White.:confused: I'm probably all wrong about this but thought I'd ask regardless. :oops:

If it's the case that JD isn't white could it be he's Hispanic? While searching I came across Carlos Diaz' NamUs profile. He disappeared from Bronx, NY in Dec 1986 which is just beyond JD's EYOD (1987-1988). I found the flyer below which mentions Carlos had a previous head injury and another medical condition that isn't disclosed. I've reached out to his sister through the Missing Carlos Diaz FB group to ask for more details. I also asked whether Carlos was known to carry a money clip. Hopefully she'll get back to me soon. I'm off to find his WS thread or create one if it doesn't yet exist.
Original
Original
Original
Original

Actively Aware: Carlos Diaz, Monday4 the Missing
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=100424055297626&set=picfp.100059900941528
131478410_100424058630959_3924641069502175313_n.jpg

ETA - NY - NY - Carlos Diaz, 32, Bronx, 23 December 1986

Last edited:
I learned about the shovel shaped teeth from reading here! I don't think I've ever seen a mention of a Carabelli cusp, though. It appears that it's just an extra bump (tubercle) on a molar, usually the first molar. I wonder how many of us have unknowingly have them!

So I poked around a bit and found some studies talking about the prevalence of Carabelli cusp and shovel teeth existing together in an Indian and Chinese population (mostly male). One paper exclusively researching Caucasians said this: After adjusting for sex, age, and tooth size, the existence of the shovel trait decreased the likelihood of having Carabelli's trait which shows an (sic) significant effect. Logistic analysis of shovel and Carabelli's tooth traits in a Caucasoid population - ScienceDirect

So it seems like the UID would not be exclusively Caucasian, based on the prevalence of the Carabelli cusp in addition to the shovel teeth. Does that sound right? It's so interesting.

I learned about the shovel shaped teeth from reading here! I don't think I've ever seen a mention of a Carabelli cusp, though. It appears that it's just an extra bump (tubercle) on a molar, usually the first molar. I wonder how many of us have unknowingly have them!

So I poked around a bit and found some studies talking about the prevalence of Carabelli cusp and shovel teeth existing together in an Indian and Chinese population (mostly male). One paper exclusively researching Caucasians said this: After adjusting for sex, age, and tooth size, the existence of the shovel trait decreased the likelihood of having Carabelli's trait which shows an (sic) significant effect. Logistic analysis of shovel and Carabelli's tooth traits in a Caucasoid population - ScienceDirect

So it seems like the UID would not be exclusively Caucasian, based on the prevalence of the Carabelli cusp in addition to the shovel teeth. Does that sound right? It's so interesting.
TYTYTY, Anemc2! Yes, it is very interesting. When I read this profile earlier I wasn't sure, but I knew it struck me as different than what I thought I'd read here previously. I looked up the Carabelli cusp thinking I'd get some quick inside info on JD, but no... Carabelli cusps seem to be pretty common. It was the shovel-teeth that makes me second guess his listed race/ethnicity though I don't feel qualified to second guess a forensic medical examiner.:confused: As I said, I thought I remembered reading here that it is a trait that isn't common among White/Caucasian populations. I'll assume JD is at a minimum a mixture of Caucasian and another ethnicity. Thank you for your insight.

Original
Original

7 Exclusions -
MP19371 Craig Alexander 01/28/1985 Chittenden VT
MP5057 Michael Alfinito 03/25/1984 Queens NY
MP3117 Steven Anderson 04/07/1975 Burlington NJ
MP7624 Gerald Bradshaw 04/06/1982 Virginia Beach VA
MP34437 William Gerald Jr. 07/08/1978 Atlantic NJ
MP20143 Brandon Robbins 08/21/1982 Cape May NJ
MP4912 Randolph Sedlack 11/24/1983 Montgomery VA
8 Exclusions:
MP23858 David Wheeler 04/27/1985 Norfolk MA

Woodland Township John Doe has been unidentified for 35 years today.

As of yesterday, Woodlawn John Doe has been unidentified for 36 years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back