Thurmond Child Says Sharpton Overreacted

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- The biracial daughter of the late Sen. Strom Thurmond defended the former segregationist Tuesday and said the Rev. Al Sharpton "overreacted" upon learning he descends from a slave owned by the senator's relatives.

"In spite of the fact he was a segregationist, he did many wonderful things for black people. ... I'm not sure that Reverend Sharpton is aware of all the things he did," said Essie Mae Washington-Williams, 81, who was in South Carolina for a speech. "I kind of feel that there was a little overreaction."

But Sharpton said Washington-Williams was reacting to a father-daughter relationship, while he was reacting to "a property ownership."
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SHARPTON_THURMOND?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I can see exactly where this is going... Good ol' Sharpton sees $$$$ and will soon file a law suit against the Thurmonds.

I just have no respect for Al Sharpton...

MagicRose99 said:
I can see exactly where this is going... Good ol' Sharpton sees $$$$ and will soon file a law suit against the Thurmonds.

I just have no respect for Al Sharpton...

ITA. But the DNA only proves that he was related to the former slave...not to Thurmond. I hope Thurmond's family fights that DNA test to the end.

I think the side by side pictures are interesting, though. They probably are related. It just shouldn't transfer into $$$.

When will Sharpton and Jackson realize they are doing more harm than good for the african-american community. Oh wait, they dont' care about the harm they do it's all about $$$ and status for them. How much money do they make each year and just what do they do? :waitasec: To me they come across as snake oil salesmen. But people want to blast respectable african-americans like Condi Rice, Colin Powell and Burack. I just don't get it.

angelmom said:
ITA. But the DNA only proves that he was related to the former slave...not to Thurmond. I hope Thurmond's family fights that DNA test to the end.

I think the side by side pictures are interesting, though. They probably are related. It just shouldn't transfer into $$$.
What I meant was, that as a decendant of a slave that was employed by Thurmond, he'll sue for recompensation - on behalf of his relatative. I doubt he's related... he just wants money and will use this as an excuse.

MagicRose99 said:
What I meant was, that as a decendant of a slave that was employed by Thurmond, he'll sue for recompensation - on behalf of his relatative. I doubt he's related... he just wants money and will use this as an excuse.

Oh for Heaven's sake! That is CRAZY!!! There would be suits all over the place if that were allowed! Al Sharpton needs to get a real job.

angelmom said:
Oh for Heaven's sake! That is CRAZY!!! There would be suits all over the place if that were allowed! Al Sharpton needs to get a real job.
:clap: :clap:

But if he had a real job he probably couldn't wear his jogging suits.

:hand: I am so sick and tired of all this angst against hundreds of years old atrocities. Like we have anything to do with what happened 200 plus years ago. My irish and Indian anscestors were treated like dirt when they came/lived in this country should that make me feel it's my right to track down those from all those years ago and make their relatives of today pay? I think not. You can't change the past just learn from it to make a better future.

GET OVER IT AL.

Karanjeff said:
:hand: I am so sick and tired of all this angst against hundreds of years old atrocities. Like we have anything to do with what happened 200 plus years ago. My irish and Indian anscestors were treated like dirt when they came/lived in this country should that make me feel it's my right to track down those from all those years ago and make their relatives of today pay? I think not. You can't change the past just learn from it to make a better future.

GET OVER IT AL.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree completely.

How nice we can all agree for once: the problem is uppity coloreds!

:rolleyes:

IMO, Al is probably elated over this, it gives him more fuel for his hatred. He acts all self-righteous about it, but deep down I think he's thrilled to have something that's proven for him to b!tch and moan about.

Karanjeff said:

GET OVER IT AL.
Maybe if blacks were treated as equals and didn't still experience blatant discrimination such as unequal pay wages, they would "get over it."

Masterj said:
Maybe if blacks were treated as equals and didn't still experience blatant discrimination such as unequal pay wages, they would "get over it."

Not if they read this thread.

Slavery Is Not Dead. It's Not Even Past
By Bob Herbert
The New York Times

Thursday 01 March 2007

The Rev. Al Sharpton seemed subdued, quiet, reflective - which was unusual.

Just when we thought the news couldn't get any weirder, we learned this week, via The Daily News, that Mr. Sharpton's great-grandfather was a slave who was owned by relatives of Senator Strom Thurmond, the longtime archsegregationist who ran for president as a Dixiecrat in 1948.

"There's not enough troops in the Army," Mr. Thurmond told a screaming crowd during that campaign, "to force the Southern people to break down segregation and admit the nigra race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our schools and into our homes."

Mr. Sharpton seemed a little shaken by the revelation. "You're always kind of thinking that your ancestors were slaves," he said. "But this was my grandfather's father. I knew my grandfather. It's eerie when it becomes so personal."

The days of slavery are closer than we tend to think, and they were crueler than we tend to realize. Mr. Sharpton's great-grandfather, Coleman Sharpton, was sent with his wife and two children from South Carolina to Florida so a woman named Julia Thurmond Sharpton could send them out as laborers to pay off debts left by her late husband.

Julia Sharpton was a first cousin, twice removed, of Strom Thurmond.

"They were sent there solely for that reason," Mr. Sharpton said. "To make money to pay her debt. It was just so clear that they were nothing but property. The complete dehumanization - I don't think I fully understood it until this hit home."

There's a great deal that Americans don't fully understand about slavery. It's such an uncomfortable subject that the temptation is to relegate it to the distant past and move on. But the long tentacles of that evil institution are still with us. Slavery was the foundation of the thriving consumer society that we have today and the wellspring of the racism that still poisons so many white attitudes and black lives.
http://www.truthout.org/docs_2006/030107H.shtml

maybe if a higher number of blacks ACTED more like equals (in this country) they would be treated more like equals.

and no, i am not referring to the hard-working, educated (or at least those who make an attempt to better themselves), law-abiding citizens who treat others with respect- and are not racist towards anyone who's not black.. and make a contribution to society.... and not sit around crying for handouts and bitching and complaining about how their ancestors were enslaved 20 years ago (and sold to slave owners by BLACK leaders) and that's why they can't do anything but be drug addicts, steal, sell dope, commit crimes, murder, hang out in gangs, spend half their life in jail, act uncivilized, yell at the top of their lungs in incomprehensible 'ebonics' when they talk, act like rude bullies towards everyone they encounter, and have 10 different babies by 10 different men. i am talking about the rest of them (see last sentence).

and don't anyone dare tell me that pathetic behavior is all my fault. guess what, life has been tough for everyone everywhere (except for the lucky few who were born with silver spoons in their mouths). everyone has to struggle.. everyone has been a 'slave' in some form or another. peope of all races and genders and colors have been slaves and indentured servants since the dawn of time... so grow up and deal with it.
and think about it... all those slaves didn't work all their lives, suffer all those years.. and activitsts didn't risk their lives protesting back in the civil rights era for all of these people to act like this... what a huge disappointment.

reb said:
maybe if a higher number of blacks ACTED more like equals in this country they would be treated more like equals.
This post is beneath you reb.

nope.. sorry,, it's the truth. (see above rest of post.)

reb said:
nope.. sorry,, it's the truth. (see above rest of post.)
You edited your post after I responded.
I still say that color or race has nothing to do with being classy.
There are lowlifes all over.

yeah, i know, just letting you know i added to it, in an attempt to prepare for the usual comeback.. where people are thinking of all the good people in our society who happen to be black (again- those aren't the ones i was talking about).
yes there are low-lifes all over but the situation i was referring to in my last post is a significant and tragic problem in our society today, most of our older cities have been destroyed by 'ghettofication'.. but when it gets brought up everyone wants to turn their heads away and say 'ooooooh... we can't talk about that. there's bad people everywhere,, it's not their fault, etc..'. we in america are unable to acknowledge what is going on right in front of our faces.

i say that everyone should have more personal responsbility-- yes, even them. i am tired of the slavery issue being the excuse for everything.

but back to the main topic.. al sharpton is a joke & an embarrassment to the democratic party. then again everything is getting dumbed down in our culture today. doesn't anyone remember the tawanda brawley fiasco?? it's great that he really tried to do a lot of good in his early years, and i do respect that. but he lied about the case, went out of his way to try to make these men be found guilty just because they were white. and you don't call that racism....????
oh i forgot-- blacks in america are considered exempt from being racist.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back