Forecasters sees La Nina brewing: More Atlantic hurricanes

Shadow205

Reaction score
Wednesday, February 28, 2007

WASHINGTON — Forecasters warned Tuesday that a La Nina weather pattern - the nasty flip side of El Nino - is brewing, bringing with it the threat of more hurricanes for the Atlantic.

Officials at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced the official end of a brief and mild El Nino that started last year. That El Nino was credited with partially shutting down last summer's Atlantic hurricane activity in the midst of what was supposed to be a busy season.
"We're seeing a shift to the La Nina, it's clearly in the data," NOAA Administrator Conrad Lautenbacher said. La Nina, a cooling of the mid-Pacific equatorial region, has not officially begun because it's a process with several months with specific temperature thresholds, but the trend is obvious based on satellite and ocean measurement data, he said.

"It certainly won't be welcome news for those living off the coast right now," Lautenbacher said. But he said that doesn't mean Atlantic seaboard residents should sell their homes.

Forecasters don't know how strong this La Nina will be. However, it typically means more hurricanes in the Atlantic, fewer in the Pacific, less rain and more heat for the already drought-stricken South, and a milder spring and summer in the north, Lautenbacher said. The central plains of the United States tend be drier in the fall during La Ninas, while the Pacific Northwest tends to be wetter in the late fall and early winter.

Of special concern is west Texas which is already in a long-term drought, which during a La Nina will likely get worse, Lautenbacher said.

Historically, El Ninos and La Ninas are difficult to forecast, said National Center for Atmospheric Research senior scientist Michael Glantz, who studies how they effect humans.

"I don't see it as a useful forecast," Glantz said. "Every event since they've been looking at El Nino ... surprised scientists."

La Ninas tend to develop from March to June and reach peak intensity at the end of the year and into the next February, according to Vernon Kousky, NOAA's top El Nino/La Nina expert. La Nina winters tend to be warmer than normal in the Southeast and colder than normal in the Northwest.

more at the link http://www.palmbeachpost.com/storm/content/nation/epaper/2007/02/28/0228lanina.html

interesting article....

from your link above...

Andrew Weaver, a meteorology professor at the University of Victoria in Canada, said NOAA's forecast looks good because the signs of a brewing La Nina are apparent just below the ocean's surface.

Forecasters sees La Nina brewing: More Atlantic hurricanes

Just like last year?

The weather people can't even get my 3 day forecast right, much less what is going to happen in 3 months.

Shadow205 said:
Wednesday, February 28, 2007

WASHINGTON — Forecasters warned Tuesday that a La Nina weather pattern - the nasty flip side of El Nino - is brewing, bringing with it the threat of more hurricanes for the Atlantic.

Officials at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration announced the official end of a brief and mild El Nino that started last year. That El Nino was credited with partially shutting down last summer's Atlantic hurricane activity in the midst of what was supposed to be a busy season.
"We're seeing a shift to the La Nina, it's clearly in the data," NOAA Administrator Conrad Lautenbacher said. La Nina, a cooling of the mid-Pacific equatorial region, has not officially begun because it's a process with several months with specific temperature thresholds, but the trend is obvious based on satellite and ocean measurement data, he said.

"It certainly won't be welcome news for those living off the coast right now," Lautenbacher said. But he said that doesn't mean Atlantic seaboard residents should sell their homes.

Forecasters don't know how strong this La Nina will be. However, it typically means more hurricanes in the Atlantic, fewer in the Pacific, less rain and more heat for the already drought-stricken South, and a milder spring and summer in the north, Lautenbacher said. The central plains of the United States tend be drier in the fall during La Ninas, while the Pacific Northwest tends to be wetter in the late fall and early winter.

Of special concern is west Texas which is already in a long-term drought, which during a La Nina will likely get worse, Lautenbacher said.

Historically, El Ninos and La Ninas are difficult to forecast, said National Center for Atmospheric Research senior scientist Michael Glantz, who studies how they effect humans.

"I don't see it as a useful forecast," Glantz said. "Every event since they've been looking at El Nino ... surprised scientists."

La Ninas tend to develop from March to June and reach peak intensity at the end of the year and into the next February, according to Vernon Kousky, NOAA's top El Nino/La Nina expert. La Nina winters tend to be warmer than normal in the Southeast and colder than normal in the Northwest.

more at the link http://www.palmbeachpost.com/storm/content/nation/epaper/2007/02/28/0228lanina.html
S205, I'm going to copy your post and add it to the Global Warming thread in the Political Forum.

Buzzm1 said:
S205, I'm going to copy your post and add it to the Global Warming thread in the Political Forum.
Fine by me Buzzm. I won't be coming in there to comment though. That place scares me :eek: :eek: LOL.

Shadow205 said:
Fine by me Buzzm. I won't be coming in there to comment though. That place scares me :eek: :eek: LOL.

Ah, Shadow, everyone is welcome in the PP! Lots of barking, but no biting.

Nova said:
Ah, Shadow, everyone is welcome in the PP! Lots of barking, but no biting.
LOL Nova.....I wouldn't put it quite that nicely!! I've left out of there with a few little nics!!

Shadow205 said:
And rightly so Shadow....it's like being in a room full of pit bulls....they seem friendly enough...but you never know when they will attack!!! LOL:croc:

czechmate7 said:
LOL Nova.....I wouldn't put it quite that nicely!! I've left out of there with a few little nics!!

In your case, czech, I'm sure they were only love bites. :blowkiss:

LOL, I have sneaked in there and read a few times but always keep the door open with one foot ready to run.;)

Nova said:
In your case, czech, I'm sure they were only love bites. :blowkiss:
I love the way you sugar coat Nova...you're the best!!:blowkiss: right back at ya!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back