GUILTY TX - Cristy Ryno, 3, abducted & murdered, Irving, 17 April 1999

phylliyum

Reaction score
3 yr old Cristy Ryno was from Irving, Texas. On the morning of April 17, 1999, Cristy's mother went to wake up Cristy, but instead found her to be missing. Cristy's twin sister, Tiffany, was still sleeping. An Amber Alert was issued.
The little girl's body was pulled out of the Trinity River, roughly 5 miles from her home, on April 21, 1999. As of today, her killer is still at large, and her great aunt now has custody of her twin sister. Focuses appeared to be on the family, however DNA found on Cristy's body cleared all 4 adults she was living with.Police say probable causes of death are suffocation, strangle, or drowning. However, due to the state of compostion of the body, they may never know.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any updates in the case. They first thought it might be related to the disapearance of Opal Jennings, as the abductions happened close together and the towns were not that far apart, but that was later believed to be untrue. Cristy was an adorable little girl - I hope one day her killer can be brought to justice. There is so little available on her abduction/murder, it is very frustrating.

This one appears to be solved.

Brett Bednarek was charged with her murder; he was convicted in 2002 or so of sexually assaulting her, and he's in jail. Can't find anything right now on the murder trial; one or both are up on appeal. However, the police used DNA evidence to convict.

From what I could gather, it sounds like the home environment was bad for these little girls - there are allegations that there were drugs in the house, and when the girl went missing it was deemed that the other girl could not stay in the home and was given to another relative to be raised. Apparently the mother was sharing the apartment with several other people.

Of course, those allegations were made by Brett's family...they have a website stating their side of the story (if you Google his name, you'll find it). So who knows. Custody of the surviving twin was definitely given to another relative.

Funny thing I was actually thinking about this last night , she lived in the apts. directly across the lot from where two UID's were found one of them I submitted for a match to Kimberly Cheatham as I drove by the spot in the river where Christy was found I was wondering if Brett was a lifer, I hope he is never granted parole! , and I often wonder about the surviving twin and how her life has turned out after such a horrible start :(

I lived in those apts when Cristy came up missing. I remember it like it was yesterday. Her mom went running around the apts looking for her that morning. Then the cops were there all day. I remember them sitting in the parking lot for several days. They took the moms boyfriends van for testing several times. The police thought it was the moms boyfriend. So did alot of the people living in the apts. For several years after her disappearance the police kept questioning everyone that lived in the apts. The allegations that were made were true. I hope Brett never gets out of jail. RIP Cristy!

Brett will get out it’s crazy the advances in DNA the last two years his case is in the appeals court right now I am doing a thesis on this case.

I would like to hear your opinion Raymond and what you have found , I find the whole case interesting .

This one appears to be solved.

Brett Bednarek was charged with her murder; he was convicted in 2002 or so of sexually assaulting her, and he's in jail. Can't find anything right now on the murder trial; one or both are up on appeal. However, the police used DNA evidence to convict.

From what I could gather, it sounds like the home environment was bad for these little girls - there are allegations that there were drugs in the house, and when the girl went missing it was deemed that the other girl could not stay in the home and was given to another relative to be raised. Apparently the mother was sharing the apartment with several other people.

Of course, those allegations were made by Brett's family...they have a website stating their side of the story (if you Google his name, you'll find it). So who knows. Custody of the surviving twin was definitely given to another relative.

My name is Samantha Frederick and I was a roommate at the time. I loved and helped raise Christy at the time of her murder. If you still have any questions as to what life was really like back then,feel free to ask. Everyday I wonder if they got the right guy because according to all the files I was allowed to see there is ALOT of questionable information. I would love to see someone investigate this case again and completely feel like they got the right guy. The state used me as the motive so this will always weigh heavily on my heart.

My name is Samantha Frederick and I was a roommate at the time. I loved and helped raise Christy at the time of her murder. If you still have any questions as to what life was really like back then,feel free to ask. Everyday I wonder if they got the right guy because according to all the files I was allowed to see there is ALOT of questionable information. I would love to see someone investigate this case again and completely feel like they got the right guy. The state used me as the motive so this will always weigh heavily on my heart.

So the state was saying that he did it out of frustration but you were the original target ? Unless he was on Meth I would say that might be a reach don't predators and rapists usually stick with a type unless drug use , I need to go back and look , that case interests me and the location is right next to where my pet case 's remains were found ( kimberly Cheatham )

ETA : PS I think I know who you are and you do amazing work!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back