1116 users online (236 members and 880 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Bicyclist sues child roller-skater over accident

MORRISTOWN, N.J. (AP) — A bicycling doctor is suing a roller-skating child neighbor, claiming the youngster caused a collision that left him with a broken collar bone.

Dr. Alexander Dlugi, a prominent endocrinologist, maintains he approached Lauren Ellis, then 11, from behind, shouted "watch out" and rang his bicycle bell. As the girl turned around on her in-line skates, the two collided, and the doctor tumbled from his bike.

This week, a seven-member jury is hearing the doctor's claim that the girl was negligent in the 2003 accident.

Dlugi's lawyer, Thomas Jardim, said the doctor's injury did not heal properly and he had to have surgery in February 2004, losing a significant amount of time at work and income. Dlugi, now 54, has lost mobility in the shoulder and is no longer able to enjoy biking and tennis and has trouble sleeping, Jardim said.

The girl was knocked to the ground in the collision and bruised, but her parents have not filed a countersuit.

http://www.courttv.com/people/2007/0301/bicycle_ap.html
    The above post is as always MY OPINION ONLY!

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    Okay somebody get me this guys address so I can write him and tell him what a he is. He approached her from behind, it was his responsiblity to slow down to ensure that he could pass safely. Of course she would turn around to see what was coming up behind her. What a loser and if he was my doctor I would call his office and request my records and say I was changing doctors because I didn't want a jackass for a doctor.

Wonder if anyone on WS is a member of the forum at...http://www.haveababy.com/why/dlugi.asp. They should post this little tidbit.

These stupid lawsuits. Why can't there just be "accidents" anymore? Why does someone always have to be negligent?

And I'd be saying the same thing if the parents were suing the doctor.

I know here in CA it is illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk. A bike is considered a vehicle. The article doesn't say if they were on the sidewalk or a street, but still... the bicycle is a vehicle compared to a child on roller skates.

This guy really needs a life... what does he hope to win, her allowance money?!?!

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Kind of ironic he's in a field that always *****es about lawsuits, and limiting liability.

curious1 is offline So broccoli, mother says your good for me,well I'm afraid i'm not good for you!
    Even more ironic....he is apparantly in endocrinologist that deals with infertility. I guess he helps people have kids so he can sue them later.

What a

Quote Originally Posted by curious1
    Even more ironic....he is apparantly in endocrinologist that deals with infertility. I guess he helps people have kids so he can sue them later.

I have to admit something....I looked him up and wrote an e-mail to the hospital he works for.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiagirl
    Dlugi's lawyer, Thomas Jardim, said the doctor's injury did not heal properly and he had to have surgery in February 2004, losing a significant amount of time at work and income.
    I guess he can prove that he did everything the drs. told him for every minute of the day, so that we know for sure he didn't sabotage his own healing process?

Do you think the jurors can sue him for wasting their time?

Looks like his community has as much sympathy for him as we do.
    http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs...ES11/703010351

Quote Originally Posted by georgiagirl
    MORRISTOWN, N.J. (AP) — A bicycling doctor is suing a roller-skating child neighbor, claiming the youngster caused a collision that left him with a broken collar bone.

Dr. Alexander Dlugi, a prominent endocrinologist, maintains he approached Lauren Ellis, then 11, from behind, shouted "watch out" and rang his bicycle bell. As the girl turned around on her in-line skates, the two collided, and the doctor tumbled from his bike.
    Sounds to me that the doctor commanded to the girl on skates to move out of the way just before HE RAN INTO HER.

My guess is also that the girl turned around to see what it was she needed to move out of way the for and probably which way she needed to move. But, she never had the chance before Doctor "Sue" hit her.

I am not an attorney; but, I would think that the only way that the doc could win would be if the exact point of the accident was strictly for bicyclists and prohibited roller skaters.

I am glad the girl was not injured, and I sure hope that doc doesn't win his case providing that the details we read here are complete and true.

Curious, kudos for emailing where he works!

Lion

From T-rex's link: "It may seem like an odd thing," Jardim said, of the lawsuit against the child. "But people are responsible for their actions."

Jardim (the dude's lawyer) should be smacked upside the head for that. A grown man on a bicycle scares the heck out of an 11 year old girl by yelling and ringing his bike's bell, and crashes into her when she can't get out of the way fast enough. What a complete and utter moron. What exactly is this girl guilty of in their eyes? Playing? Existing? Argh! I should quit reading this one because I am getting utterly po'd the more I read and think about this. And this poor girl has had this shadow hanging over her for the past four years.... hopefully her parents shielded her from it as well as they could. *shuts up now*

Quote Originally Posted by curious1
    Okay somebody get me this guys address so I can write him and tell him what a he is. He approached her from behind, it was his responsiblity to slow down to ensure that he could pass safely. Of course she would turn around to see what was coming up behind her. What a loser and if he was my doctor I would call his office and request my records and say I was changing doctors because I didn't want a jackass for a doctor.

Wonder if anyone on WS is a member of the forum at...http://www.haveababy.com/why/dlugi.asp. They should post this little tidbit.
    I agree! What a jack-ass!
    Step right up and see the Yakwoman! Only 25 cents a look!

Why couldn't this SOB go around the child?? It's a heck of a lot easier to steer a bike than it is to quickly maneuver on skates.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast