Bicyclist sues child roller-skater over accident

georgiagirl

Opinionated Southern Belle
Reaction score
MORRISTOWN, N.J. (AP) — A bicycling doctor is suing a roller-skating child neighbor, claiming the youngster caused a collision that left him with a broken collar bone.

Dr. Alexander Dlugi, a prominent endocrinologist, maintains he approached Lauren Ellis, then 11, from behind, shouted "watch out" and rang his bicycle bell. As the girl turned around on her in-line skates, the two collided, and the doctor tumbled from his bike.

This week, a seven-member jury is hearing the doctor's claim that the girl was negligent in the 2003 accident.

Dlugi's lawyer, Thomas Jardim, said the doctor's injury did not heal properly and he had to have surgery in February 2004, losing a significant amount of time at work and income. Dlugi, now 54, has lost mobility in the shoulder and is no longer able to enjoy biking and tennis and has trouble sleeping, Jardim said.

The girl was knocked to the ground in the collision and bruised, but her parents have not filed a countersuit.

http://www.courttv.com/people/2007/0301/bicycle_ap.html

Okay somebody get me this guys address so I can write him and tell him what a :loser:he is. He approached her from behind, it was his responsiblity to slow down to ensure that he could pass safely. Of course she would turn around to see what was coming up behind her. What a loser and if he was my doctor I would call his office and request my records and say I was changing doctors because I didn't want a jackass for a doctor.

Wonder if anyone on WS is a member of the forum at...http://www.haveababy.com/why/dlugi.asp. They should post this little tidbit.

These stupid lawsuits. Why can't there just be "accidents" anymore? Why does someone always have to be negligent?

And I'd be saying the same thing if the parents were suing the doctor.

I know here in CA it is illegal to ride a bike on a sidewalk. A bike is considered a vehicle. The article doesn't say if they were on the sidewalk or a street, but still... the bicycle is a vehicle compared to a child on roller skates.

This guy really needs a life... what does he hope to win, her allowance money?!?!

Kind of ironic he's in a field that always *advertiser censored* about lawsuits, and limiting liability.

Even more ironic....he is apparantly in endocrinologist that deals with infertility. I guess he helps people have kids so he can sue them later. :cool:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

curious1 said:
Even more ironic....he is apparantly in endocrinologist that deals with infertility. I guess he helps people have kids so he can sue them later. :cool:

I have to admit something....I looked him up and wrote an e-mail to the hospital he works for. :silenced:

georgiagirl said:
Dlugi's lawyer, Thomas Jardim, said the doctor's injury did not heal properly and he had to have surgery in February 2004, losing a significant amount of time at work and income.
I guess he can prove that he did everything the drs. told him for every minute of the day, so that we know for sure he didn't sabotage his own healing process? :loser:

georgiagirl said:
MORRISTOWN, N.J. (AP) — A bicycling doctor is suing a roller-skating child neighbor, claiming the youngster caused a collision that left him with a broken collar bone.

Dr. Alexander Dlugi, a prominent endocrinologist, maintains he approached Lauren Ellis, then 11, from behind, shouted "watch out" and rang his bicycle bell. As the girl turned around on her in-line skates, the two collided, and the doctor tumbled from his bike.
Sounds to me that the doctor commanded to the girl on skates to move out of the way just before HE RAN INTO HER.

My guess is also that the girl turned around to see what it was she needed to move out of way the for and probably which way she needed to move. But, she never had the chance before Doctor "Sue" hit her.

I am not an attorney; but, I would think that the only way that the doc could win would be if the exact point of the accident was strictly for bicyclists and prohibited roller skaters.

I am glad the girl was not injured, and I sure hope that doc doesn't win his case providing that the details we read here are complete and true.

Curious, kudos for emailing where he works!

Lion

From T-rex's link: "It may seem like an odd thing," Jardim said, of the lawsuit against the child. "But people are responsible for their actions."

Jardim (the dude's lawyer) should be smacked upside the head for that. A grown man on a bicycle scares the heck out of an 11 year old girl by yelling and ringing his bike's bell, and crashes into her when she can't get out of the way fast enough. What a complete and utter moron. What exactly is this girl guilty of in their eyes? Playing? Existing? Argh! I should quit reading this one because I am getting utterly po'd the more I read and think about this. And this poor girl has had this shadow hanging over her for the past four years.... hopefully her parents shielded her from it as well as they could. *shuts up now* :silenced: :silenced:

curious1 said:
Okay somebody get me this guys address so I can write him and tell him what a :loser:he is. He approached her from behind, it was his responsiblity to slow down to ensure that he could pass safely. Of course she would turn around to see what was coming up behind her. What a loser and if he was my doctor I would call his office and request my records and say I was changing doctors because I didn't want a jackass for a doctor.

Wonder if anyone on WS is a member of the forum at...http://www.haveababy.com/why/dlugi.asp. They should post this little tidbit.

I agree! What a jack-*advertiser censored*!

Why couldn't this SOB go around the child?? It's a heck of a lot easier to steer a bike than it is to quickly maneuver on skates.

Oh for crying out loud! What have we turned into? A bunch of whiney cry babies. If this "man" were my husband or boyfriend, I'm afraid I could never look at him the same way again. People, it's called an accident. I mean, if she were hiding in the bushes and shoving a stick into the wheel spokes, I could understand the lawsuit...but she's a kid on roller skates....Shhheesh!

from the link above:
<SNIP>
The accident expert said on Wednesday Dlugi could have avoided the collision by simply riding around the skater.

He'd already rode by her once... rides around the block, comes back around behind her, yells at her startling her, then runs her over when she turns around...

What a prize winner!

georgiagirl said:

This week, a seven-member jury is hearing the doctor's claim that the girl was negligent in the 2003 accident.

Dlugi's lawyer, Thomas Jardim, said the doctor's injury did not heal properly and he had to have surgery in February 2004, losing a significant amount of time at work and income. Dlugi, now 54, has lost mobility in the shoulder and is no longer able to enjoy biking and tennis and has trouble sleeping, Jardim said.

The girl was knocked to the ground in the collision and bruised, but her parents have not filed a countersuit.

http://www.courttv.com/people/2007/0301/bicycle_ap.html

Okay, let me see if I've got this straight. He approached the little girl from behind. He made no effort to stop. He ran right over her. And he thinks it's HER fault??? What an idiot!

This has got to be one of those meritless lawsuits we are always hearing about. I hope it gets thrown out and I hope the dear doctor gets slapped with court costs.

kgeaux said:
Okay, let me see if I've got this straight. He approached the little girl from behind. He made no effort to stop. He ran right over her. And he thinks it's HER fault???

Sounds like a cyclist to me. Self-entitled bunch in my experience (which includes both cycling and skating).

Nova said:
Sounds like a cyclist to me. Self-entitled bunch in my experience (which includes both cycling and skating).
hey now! I am a cyclist. I am also a snowboarder and in both activities we always yield to those in front of us, because they ARE infront of us. If I approach another rider on a board or on my bike, I have to be defensive as to what they might do and steer clear in any case. They cannot watch out for me.
This guy yelling watch out and ringing is bell is always startling. If I approach a pedestrian on the trail, I always give a shout and INVARIABLY they move into my path on instinct. I always anticipate that and will come to a complete stop if necessary.
This guy is a ding dong and there is no way he will win this case IMO!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back