Earthuake. S.f. Bay Area

montana_16

Reaction score
We,ve just had an earthquake in the bay area just minutes ago. Medium size. I 'd guess maybe around a 5. Just happened. nothing on news yet.

montana_16 said:
We,ve just had an earthquake in the bay area just minutes ago. Medium size. I 'd guess maybe around a 5. Just happened. nothing on news yet.
any aftershocks M-16?

montana_16 said:
I felt it, or I should say I barely felt it--it was very short and so very faint, at least in the South Bay.

JBean said:
any aftershocks M-16?

Not yet. Radio just said it's officially estimated at 4.3 at this time. Pretty much a run of the mill one for us here.lol. I guess my internal earthquake meter is a little off lol. It was centered in the East Bay. No damage or anything reported yet. Probably won't be too bad.

That's a pretty good internal earthquake meter, montana :) You weren't too far off. Keep us posted and stay safe!

Buzzm1 said:
I felt it, or I should say I barely felt it--it was very short and so very faint, at least in the South Bay.

I'm in the South Bay also Buzzm1. I think it felt a little stronger to me because I was lying down. It did,'t last very long.

Buzzm1 said:
Hi Buzz. I know you have your EQ supplies ready.

Buzzm1 said:
Yep JBeanya, I'm all set for the big one.
My stuff is ready to be replaced. I haven't updated this last year..whoops.
I better go to Costco this weekend.

I'm in the East Bay and felt it very mildly. I felt like I was on a glider (swing). I've been in a heck of a lot worse ones.

I'm not far from the epicenter and we really felt it! It wasn't a lot of shaking, but lasted a little longer than they usually do. My niece was outside in her brother's truck and thought he was shaking it. An interesting tidbit: at the same time as the quake, there was a shooting star - just happened to see it.

There have been several aftershocks, but we haven't felt any.

Buzzm1 said:
Yep JBeanya, I'm all set for the big one.
--You guys be careful over there, I hope "the big one" never comes,although there's a decent chance of it between now and the next 30 years,according to the experts--Luckily, here in Florida, its impossible to have earthquakes,that's one thing we never have to worry about down here--and at least with the hurricanes,we have many days warning--Earthquakes you have no warning, so stay safe

Hey don't get too relaxed down there PH....

From the Environmental Earth Science Archive:
Florida has earthquakes, but they are rather infrequent and are not known to
be severe. However, compared to California and the west coast, the seismic
hazards in the East are not well-understood. So, I would not say that it is
impossible for Florida to have a damaging earthquake, but it's pretty
unlikely. In the last 200 years, very large earthquakes have occurred in
Missouri and South Carolina. The Missouri earthquake was large enough to
reroute the Mississippi River and the South Carolina earthquake was felt as
far away as New York City and was strongly felt in Florida.

And from USGS.....

Historic Earthquakes
Near St. Augustine, St. Johns County, Florida
1879 01 13 04:45 UTC (local Jan 12)
Intensity VI

Largest Earthquake in Florida
Plaster was shaken down and articles were thrown from shelves at St. Augustine and, to the south, at Daytona Beach. At Tampa, a trembling motion was preceded by a rumbling sound. Felt from a line joining Tallahassee, Florida, to Savannah, Georgia, on the north to a line joining Punta Rassa and Daytona Beach, Florida, on the south. Two shocks occurred, each lasting 30 seconds. See also the earthquake on 1780 Feb 06.

It could happen and Florida could float off to Cuba. ;)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back