Human Liver, Head Mistakenly Delivered To Home

Beyond Belief

Reaction score
CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- Two packages containing human body parts -- including a liver and a partial head -- that were intended for a Traverse City lab instead were delivered to a home.

The body parts, sent from China, were mistakenly dropped off Thursday at Franc and Ludivine Larmande's Kent County home by a DHL express driver who believed the bubble-wrapped items were pieces to a table.

"My husband started to unwrap one and said, 'This is strange, it looks like a liver,"' Ludivine Larmande told The Grand Rapids Press. "He started the second one, but stopped as soon as we saw the ear
http://www.wftv.com/news/11164140/detail.html

I wonder why the package wasn't marked as a biohazard? I thought things like that had to be marked when they are shipped.

I don't think I will accept anything from the DHL guy next time he has something to deliver to me!!!!! I don't need a surprise like that! LOL

the original tez said:
I wonder why the package wasn't marked as a biohazard? I thought things like that had to be marked when they are shipped.

I don't think I will accept anything from the DHL guy next time he has something to deliver to me!!!!! I don't need a surprise like that! LOL

Wondering...if instead, it was marked, "Made In China" ???

They should have been marked. I work at Fedex and the stuff like that is marked to know what it is. Not only with Fragile and other things but usually it will tell you if it is a body part. They usually even have specific boxes for that typw of stuff, or coolers. I would have freaked if I had opened that.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-35/1172994334201940.xml&coll=6

GRAND RAPIDS -- The liver and partial human head mistakenly delivered to a Cascade Township family are part of a little-known industry that preserves body parts for public exhibitions and educational purposes.

A Kent County medical examiner who probed the organ and head said Saturday they had been "plastinated," a procedure that hardens and protects specimens for years.

The technique is the foundation for an exhibition at Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry, called "Body Worlds."

"They're pretty typical specimens for an anatomy lab or a teaching environment," Dr. David Start said Saturday night. "They're not unusual by any means -- when you are expecting to receive them."

Meanwhile, the search for more than two dozen other body parts that were supposed to be delivered to a Traverse City laboratory from a Chinese supplier continued Saturday.

There have been no other reports of body parts being found, police and a spokesman for the DHL Express delivery service said.

A DHL driver Thursday dropped off two packages of bubble-wrapped parts at the home of Franck and Ludivine Larmande, believing they were accessories to a table the couple purchased on eBay.

Police believe they are among 28 glands and other body parts missing from two of five boxes that were supposed to be shipped to Traverse City.

more at link (need to enter a zip code to access)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back