TX - Demetris McCoy & Vanswan Polty for child endangerment, Watauga, 2007

LinasK

Verified insider- Mark Dribin case
Reaction score
March 5, 2007, 10:31 am

By Tom Zeller Jr.Tags: crime, drugs, law enforcement

The videotape says it all — and it is the chief bit of evidence against two Texas teenagers who were arrested for turning two brothers, a 5-year-old and a 2-year-old, into “pot-heads.”
Yes, that’s right, the toddlers were smoking marijuana. Really smoking — like, inhaling. At one point, one of the older boys asked if the youngsters had “the munchies.”
The toddlers are now reported to be in protective custody and the two men face felony charges.

CNN reported this morning that the mother of the two young children, Shattoria Russell, was sleeping in the next room with a toothache. While she expressed disapproval of what the two men did, she said she didn’t think they should have to do hard time.

However, Bruce Ure, director of public safety for the city of Watauga, Texas, said the tape clearly showed that this wasn’t the first time the boys had smoked marijuana. more at link:http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/03/05/in-texas-the-strange-case-of-the-toking-toddlers/

I will not watch that video.:hand: This story sickens me.

The worst part is that it is very obvious this was not their first time smoking pot. They smoked it like they knew what they were doing. The 2 year old held the joint in his mouth while the uncle lit it.

That's terrible! they thinks its funny!

Poor kids havent got a chance.

There was a story in the news here last year that showed a 5 yr old with a bong in his mouth, I couldn't believe it- sad stuff

The video was disgusting. It showed the two guys laughing and the sound of the little boys coughing.

:furious: When I see this video I get sick to my stomach. I cannot watch it anymore. It sickens me to no end. It doesn't look as if this is the first time the kids were given joints to smoke.

One of the cruelest things I have ever seen related to drug/child abuse.

Just utterly horrid.

Gozgals

Gozgals said:
:furious: When I see this video I get sick to my stomach. I cannot watch it anymore. It sickens me to no end. It doesn't look as if this is the first time the kids were given joints to smoke.

One of the cruelest things I have ever seen related to drug/child abuse.

Just utterly horrid.

Gozgals
What makes me sicker is these babies mother sticking of for this scum!

Magicrose, I agree!

I kind of think the mother was probably in on this. Maybe she was not in the room this time.... But come on! At the very least she had to have known these guys were getting high in the same house where her children were.

MagicRose99 said:
It's not the first time that these toddlers smoked. It was obvious. I would like to know if this mother is on welfare and if this is how our tax money is being spent.

lymom3 said:
I just watched a video on CNN with the teenage uncle of those kids saying that the media was blowing this out of proportion. He also said that those kids were going to smoke sooner or later anyways...so I guess that justifies giving them weed at ages 2 and 5. What a winner he is. Here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2007/03/06/sots.mccoy.pot.smoking.kids.wfaa
So sad. I'll bet the teenage uncle saw pot smoking from the time he was a very young child and started smoking it younger than we can imagine.

My mom tells stories of my young toddler cousins drinking leftover wine at the dinner table after family dinners while the adults looked on and laughed at the kids getting tipsy. My family was a drinking family so this seemed normal to them.

Family standards of what's appropriate can be very, er...unique.

southcitymom said:
My mom tells stories of my young toddler cousins drinking leftover wine at the dinner table after family dinners while the adults looked on and laughed at the kids getting tipsy. My family was a drinking family so this seemed normal to them.

Family standards of what's appropriate can be very, er...unique.
Yeah, but what sickens me the most is that any choice was taken away from these youngsters, they're not even 7 or 8, let alone 12 or 13, and already they will be addicted to drugs.:razz: He figures, "oh well, what's a few developing brain cells?" Sticking a joint in the kids mouth and lighting it???:doh: The uncle ought to be shot for that!!! GRRRRR!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :furious: :behindbar

MagicRose99 said:
Me too! Ugh :banghead: . This is a local story for my area (DFW) so I keep seeing the mom giving that interview where she is alluding to the fact that it is not that bad and says that, at the most, they should be given probation. Where is the outrage or even caring that these boys did something that could affect her childrens brains permanently, has a tape of her children smoking pot on national news AND got her children removed from her custody for possibly a very long time? Hmmm....I think she needs to be drug tested ASAP.

SLP said:
Where is the outrage or even caring that these boys did something that could affect her childrens brains permanently, has a tape of her children smoking pot on national news AND got her children removed from her custody for possibly a very long time? Hmmm....I think she needs to be drug tested ASAP.
Agreed!

LinasK said:
Yeah, but what sickens me the most is that any choice was taken away from these youngsters, they're not even 7 or 8, let alone 12 or 13, and already they will be addicted to drugs.:razz: He figures, "oh well, what's a few developing brain cells?" Sticking a joint in the kids mouth and lighting it???:doh: The uncle ought to be shot for that!!! GRRRRR!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :furious: :behindbar
Well my young cousins were these kids age when they were drinking the wine. Pot smoking is obviously normal behavior for this family.

I don't approve of showing teeny kids how to smoke pot, but these toddlers won't get physically addicted from smoking pot. However, if they are raised in an environment where it is smoked all around them (whether they smoke it or not), they will eventually pick up the habit.

southcitymom said:
Well my young cousins were these kids age when they were drinking the wine. Pot smoking is obviously normal behavior for this family.

I don't approve of showing teeny kids how to smoke pot, but these toddlers won't get physically addicted from smoking pot. However, if they are raised in an environment where it is smoked all around them (whether they smoke it or not), they will eventually pick up the habit.
I agree with this observation based on what I saw of the mom. She acted like it was no big deal. Plus even if she was sleeping in a room somewhere why did those boys feel comfortable enough to smoke a joint, help the kids smoke a joint and be that loud while there were other people in the house. On the video they were not even being secretive (looking around) or worried about being loud and waking her up or her walking in on them. That is wierd...unless of course it is acceptable in that house. Further proof to me that the kids should be kept away from this family for their own good until someone clean can take care of them. The lines of what is morally OK in that house seems to be so blurred that it has become a danger to those kids. Those kids deserve a drug free adult to focus on them and their well being. JMHO.

I think the kid was even high when he was being interviewed.

Way to set the example, mom!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine