GUILTY CA - Tamme Logan, 4 mos, dies of Lysol poisoning, Visalia, 16 Aug 2006

Alice253

Live Every Moment
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=local&id=5094043

Just ran across this, didn't see it posted elsewhere.

A judge determined there is enough evidence to charge Shyla Chapman with murdering her four month old baby. But Chapman's attorney says the child's death was an accident.

Snip...

Lupe Shade, TCSO detective says, "She stated the baby was crying, she didn't know what to do the baby was crying uncontrollably she was frustrated and she picked up the can of lysol and she sprayed the baby directly in the face."

Chapman's daughter, 4-month old Tammy May, died in August. Detectives initially called the death suspicious, but a few months later toxicology reports showed the baby had toxic levels of pera-cresal, the active ingredient found in Lysol cleaning spray in her system.

Much more at link, plus video..

Such a tragedy for the little baby........

The mother must of really sprayed alot of lysol on her face to kill her. Can't even imagine, how anyone could do that.....out of frustration. Easier to call someone to take the baby for a few hours.

In the end the Dad will probably start a lawsuit against Lysol for putting harmful ingredients in it.....stating it wasn't marked: Caution Can be deadly if sprayed in a babies face!

My gut reaction and my thought out reaction are different, but only because of an experience I had several months ago. My Mom did a good job of raising me and she watched my daughter everyday for years, but when the teenage mouth got the best of a frustrated older lady - my daughter got a spray of a mixture of dish detergent and water that was in a spray bottle - sprayed in her face.

I was LIVID, even though it was perfectly safe - this is my child and I never spanked her or smacked her - here this happens and I was upset. So was my Mom, so was my daughter. Never anything like it before or since.

What if she was spraying Lysol that day instead of a weak mix of detergent and water? It wasn't thought out, it was just a stupid reaction. I know in my heart I would never do that to a child - but it does give me pause to know my own mother did this.

Otherwise, my gut reaction is to burn her at the stake.

GlitchWizard said:
My gut reaction and my thought out reaction are different, but only because of an experience I had several months ago. My Mom did a good job of raising me and she watched my daughter everyday for years, but when the teenage mouth got the best of a frustrated older lady - my daughter got a spray of a mixture of dish detergent and water that was in a spray bottle - sprayed in her face.

I was LIVID, even though it was perfectly safe - this is my child and I never spanked her or smacked her - here this happens and I was upset. So was my Mom, so was my daughter. Never anything like it before or since.

What if she was spraying Lysol that day instead of a weak mix of detergent and water? It wasn't thought out, it was just a stupid reaction. I know in my heart I would never do that to a child - but it does give me pause to know my own mother did this.

Otherwise, my gut reaction is to burn her at the stake.
But, you have to use a can of Lysol as a flame thrower to start the fire.

Can's of Lysol do make excellent flame throwers by the way. Not that I would know from personal experience or anything...it's just that I have been told. :p

curious1 said:
But, you have to use a can of Lysol as a flame thrower to start the fire.

Can's of Lysol do make excellent flame throwers by the way. Not that I would know from personal experience or anything...it's just that I have been told. :p
I don't know about excellent... but they do throw a good flame. As unpredictable as where sparklers sparks go though - so it's not recommended!

Spraying someone in the face is a thought out thing. You think to pick up the can, you think to hold it to baby's face, you think to push the nozzle. It may seem like a quick unthought out thing, but I don't think it is.

I had many times of frustration with a 4 month old. I was borderline PPD, I have a high needs child who was a bad sleeper and had colic. I spent many all nighters rocking my son. I also had many days of frustration where I would set my son down and step outside for one minute, take a deep breath and come in and try it again.
Parenting is a frustrating thing, no doubt, but if you have no patience and can't control yourself, then you shouldn't be a parent. Unfortunately you aren't told those things before you have kids.

Amen Dean. My sister is a poster child for people who should not have kids. And the , yeah I said it, after screwing up her first child gets married again and decides to have another kid at 38 with someone who has just as bad a temper as her. It is such a messed up situation. I did not sign a realease form....how the hell did I get on center stage at the Jerry Springer Show????:waitasec:

curious1 said:
Amen Dean. My sister is a poster child for people who should not have kids. And the , yeah I said it, after screwing up her first child gets married again and decides to have another kid at 38 with someone who has just as bad a temper as her. It is such a messed up situation. I did not sign a realease form....how the hell did I get on center stage at the Jerry Springer Show????:waitasec:
I'd be a great adoptive Mom. If they decide they don't want the kid, tell them I'll take it!

GlitchWizard said:
I'd be a great adoptive Mom. If they decide they don't want the kid, tell them I'll take it!
Oh dear they would never give up the kid because that would mean they had no control. That is the other thing they are all about. They are still trying to control her 23 year old daughter. Telling her she can't be gay and that she needs to look at getting a real job. Never mind she works with kids and that is what she wants to do oh and they fact they both are on disablity and my Dad pays for their cell phone, internet and gives them money all they time and they are in their 40's. All that and they still try to control my niece and tell her how she should get a real job. :snooty: Both of them are just big:loser: and I am more than happy to write them out of my life until they get their act together. The only thing that concerns me is my nephew who is 7 and her hubbies elderly parents they take care of. One day one of them is gonna tick one or both of them off and it will be worse than Lysol in the face.

Sorry, totally OT. :blushing: Anyway back to the topic....this is horrible and I hope she pays the highest price applicable.

PS...maybe we could start a thread.....My Family Could Be on Springer Because......:crazy:

If I had enough money, I would take in all the abused kids. Shoot, my son has enough toys to share.

It absolutely breaks my heart to hear these stories.

That is so sweet Dena. Now since I know I don't have patients for the kids I would take the animals.

Dena said:
If I had enough money, I would take in all the abused kids. Shoot, my son has enough toys to share.

It absolutely breaks my heart to hear these stories.
I always think about this. I really wish people would just walk away from these kids if they can't take it. There are plenty of us out here who'd take them in.

hipmamajen said:
I always think about this. I really wish people would just walk away from these kids if they can't take it. There are plenty of us out here who'd take them in.

I was sick, sick, sick after I had my son-

I have told the story before on another thread (probably a mental health one) and it's not an easy thing to share with a bunch of strangers and I'm certainly not proud of what I am sharing here but I feel this is a good example to show that we can stop ourselves from harming our children.

When my son was a baby and starting "crusing" on furniture, he discovered he could do it in his crib too! After a couple of nights of him cruising in his crib rather than sleeping, I just climbed into his crib with him because I had to get some sleep and that way I'd know he was safe but I'd still be able to sleep so I could take care of him the next day. Well, by doing that all that happend was him getting excited that I was in his crib and wanted to play with me.

I was frustrated, tired and coming very close to getting angry so I got out of the crib and told him to go night night. I tried to go to my room to sleep but couldn't because he was screaming (excitedly) and laughing. After awhile I got up and went into his room and told him to lay down and go to sleep but he kept on.. The angry finally arrived- I pushed him down into a laying position and said go to sleep!!!!

I couldn't believe what I'd done- in that instant I knew I could have gone further and hurt my child.

I went outside with the phone and called someone to come pick him up. What a horrible feeling to know that you could hurt your own child. We (humans) make our own decisions and I chose to leave the house rather than hurt my child. Bipolar or no Bipolar ( I'm talking about myself- I know the woman hasn't been refered to as Bipolar), I had the ability to choose right from wrong ..why can't these women?? I'm just not understanding it!

Whatcha wanna bet she ends up trying to play the Bipolar card?? :banghead: :mad:

cheko1 said:
Such a tragedy for the little baby........

The mother must of really sprayed alot of lysol on her face to kill her. Can't even imagine, how anyone could do that.....out of frustration. Easier to call someone to take the baby for a few hours.

In the end the Dad will probably start a lawsuit against Lysol for putting harmful ingredients in it.....stating it wasn't marked: Caution Can be deadly if sprayed in a babies face!
I haven't finished reading yet....... but have a can of lysol here.

Boxed in, it reads:
PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS: Hazards to Humans and Domestic Animals. Warning: Causes eye irritation. Do not spray in eyes, on skin or on clothing.
First Aid: ..... get medical attention if irritation persists.
Physical Hazards: flammable.....
Storage/Disposal:........

back to finishing reading.

One lost girl, you had someone to call. Sometimes people don't have that.....

Yes, what she did was wrong and she should be punished to the full extend of the law. Even if she didn't have help, leaving your child to cry for 10 minutes isn't going to kill them while a parent composes themself.

I'm glad you tried everything you could - and then asked for help when you needed it. The judgement of who is a good parent isn't whether or not you lose it and make mistakes - it's what you do about it.

OneLostGrl said:
I was sick, sick, sick after I had my son-

I have told the story before on another thread (probably a mental health one) and it's not an easy thing to share with a bunch of strangers and I'm certainly not proud of what I am sharing here but I feel this is a good example to show that we can stop ourselves from harming our children.

When my son was a baby and starting "crusing" on furniture, he discovered he could do it in his crib too! After a couple of nights of him cruising in his crib rather than sleeping, I just climbed into his crib with him because I had to get some sleep and that way I'd know he was safe but I'd still be able to sleep so I could take care of him the next day. Well, by doing that all that happend was him getting excited that I was in his crib and wanted to play with me.

I was frustrated, tired and coming very close to getting angry so I got out of the crib and told him to go night night. I tried to go to my room to sleep but couldn't because he was screaming (excitedly) and laughing. After awhile I got up and went into his room and told him to lay down and go to sleep but he kept on.. The angry finally arrived- I pushed him down into a laying position and said go to sleep!!!!

I couldn't believe what I'd done- in that instant I knew I could have gone further and hurt my child.

I went outside with the phone and called someone to come pick him up. What a horrible feeling to know that you could hurt your own child. We (humans) make our own decisions and I chose to leave the house rather than hurt my child. Bipolar or no Bipolar ( I'm talking about myself- I know the woman hasn't been refered to as Bipolar), I had the ability to choose right from wrong ..why can't these women?? I'm just not understanding it!

Whatcha wanna bet she ends up trying to play the Bipolar card?? :banghead: :mad:

Cubby said:

Yes, what she did was wrong and she should be punished to the full extend of the law. Even if she didn't have help, leaving your child to cry for 10 minutes isn't going to kill them while a parent composes themself.
Exactly. There were times when I was a young mother with two kids that I had to just lock myself in a bathroom or go outside and cry it out myself until I was under control. There is never an excue to harm your child.

Cubby said:

True..

Cubby said:
Agreed. When my children were babies I had no one to call. MY son is autistic and he screamed more than he did not I think. I am sensitive to noise anyways so some days I would feel like I was going to go bonkers. I knew when I had to secure him and go outside to compose myself for a break though. Even my pediatrition told me that if he was screaming for no reason (he was fed, changed, etc) and I was getting frustrated it was perfectly OK to put him in his crib and step out for 10-15.

California records are very tight, but what I did find out is that Shyla Chapman was released from Tulare County on 3/20/2008. Now, whether she only did 1 year for killing the baby or whether her bail was reduced and she is awaiting trial, I could not tell.

I tend to think she only did 1 year as the date received is 01/24/2008 which is probably the date sentenced. Also the charge is listed as Other Assault. So, to me it looks like she only did 1 year for the murder of her baby.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back