Miami Church Brands Members With '666' Tattoos

Shadow205

Reaction score
DORAL, Fla. — Surrounded by a mob of news cameras, a group of smiling, well-dressed church members crowded into a South Beach storefront parlor on a recent muggy evening and got matching tattoos of their prophet's symbol: 666.

Members of Growing in Grace, a controversial religious sect headquartered in Doral, said they were following the example of their leader, Jose Luis De Jesus Miranda, who has claimed to be Jesus and recently declared himself the Antichrist.

Critics have called De Jesus a cult leader who manipulates followers. Church members say he has brought them happiness and spiritual fulfillment.

"This is backing up what I truly believe," said Alvaro Albarracin, 38, who heads a film production company and joined the church more than a decade ago. He showed a bandage that covered the freshly tattooed "666" on his forearm. "It's like a brand. It's like a sign."

It's a sign most Christians would shun, because for centuries the numbers have been associated with Satan. But for the 30 or so church members who branded themselves with 666 and SSS — the initials of De Jesus' motto, "salvo siempre salvo," or "saved always saved" — it's a mark of their absolute faith in De Jesus.

<snip>

Church members say the symbol doesn't connect them to Satan but rather to De Jesus' claim that he has replaced Christ's teachings with a new gospel.

Scholars and critics of the movement say the tattoos offer frightening evidence of the influence De Jesus commands over his followers.

<snip>

De Jesus — who preaches that sin and the devil were destroyed when Jesus died on the cross and that God's chosen already have been saved — has built a massive movement around his claim to divinity. Followers call him "Daddy" and "God" and lavish him with $5,000 Rolexes and sometimes 40 percent or more of their salaries.
<snip>
De Jesus had just a few hundred followers when he launched his church in a Hialeah warehouse about 20 years ago. Today, he commands a global movement from his Doral headquarters that boasts 335 education centers, 200 pastors, 287 radio programs and a 24-hour Spanish-language TV network that's available to 2 million homes — including by special request from some U.S. cable companies. Only De Jesus and his right hand man, Carlos Cestero, are authorized to preach

more at the link http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,254360,00.html

Lol- whatever- people are dumb. What I mean is... they wouldn't be the dumbest (imo) tattoos I've ever seen. Also- the guy has an interesting premise for a religion I think. He's a little bit of a glory hog trying to be both the Anti-Christ AND Jesus.

*Insert "FACETIOUS POST" warning here.*

P.S. Did I spell it right? Hehehe

Okay....I'm starting up my own religion so I can get money and rolexes. eeediots :loser:

I wonder if Britney is a member? :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

On Tuesday night an episode of Primetime "Outsiders" did a story on this man. I don't have a link to their story but it was rather interesting- I can't figure people giving their life savings over to him and gifting him with Rolex watches, etc...? His philosophies (sp) seemed rather unique- and the children of the "church" saluted him with a two finger salute (that was reminicent of Hitler IMO)... just a little odd from my perspective.

Boyz_Mum,

I saw Primetime the other night. That was the first that I had heard about this guy. It was very interesting and a little alrming too. If he only had a handfull of followers that would be one thing but that is not the case.

Here is a website for his church http://www.cegenglish.com/

Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda – Destructive and Dangerous
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda’s message is basic: “freedom to indulge.” He teaches that:
  • The devil, hell, and sin are non-existent,
  • Prayer is a waste of time, and
  • The Ten Commandments (moral or ethical guidelines) are irrelevant.
His followers believe they are God’s chosen people, predestined for salvation, no matter what they do on earth. As such, all other religions’ teachings are rejected, believing that all other faiths are false and must be destroyed -- even when Crescendio en Gracia’s marches result in violent consequences. Miranda esteems himself above Jesus of Nazareth. His responses during interviews are startling: “I am greater than him . . . I teach better than him . . . I won’t die. Even if you tried to kill me! I will be president of the biggest government that this earth has experienced. I’m going to change the whole world.”

These statements are both frightening and disturbing to authorities. Daniel Alvarez received his Masters Degree in Theology from Harvard Divinity School and serves as a Florida International University religion professor. Alvarez sees Crescendio en Gracia as having all the makings of a destructive cult with Miranda fitting into the classic mold of a cult leader who requires total submission by his followers. Cult authority, Rick Ross (Rick A. Ross Institute of New Jersey), agrees that Growing in Grace fits the basic profile of a dangerous cult which thrives on persuasion (brainwashing) and ultimately exploitation of its members.

Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda – Deceiver or Deliverer
Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda is not Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Christ means “anointed one” -- consecrated, set apart as holy.

http://www.allaboutcults.org/jose-luis-de-jesus-miranda.htm

Thanks for the link (I don't have the stomach to go to it right now...) but since the link to the "church's" website is a "dot com", does this mean it isn't a "church" within the realm of tax authorities? I ask because most bonafied churches have "dot org" websites? (Or am I totally wrong about that?)

I found the Primetime show informative but was very disturbed on many levels with the "church" itself, if that makes any sense. I think when he (Jesus) smiled when compared with the Rev. Jim Jones as far as looking like him it made me want to just hurl!

Normally, I do not find myself offended by people following a faith of their choosing but I felt like this guy was taking advantage of his followers and laughing all the way to the bank. That offended me.

Hey, if people are dumb enough to follow him, let them. Let's hope he pulls another Jim Jones (without the kids) and takes out him and the rest of his stupid followers. Sorry I have little patience for people like this and their stupid followers. I am starting to think that all major religions are just big cons. When you have churches telling members that are not to divorce their abusive spouses because divorce is a sin and then doing nothing to change the abusive idiots and that their gay children are 'evil' I have just had enough of religion all together. :furious:

Yeah, and I'm Mary Magdalene. Seriously, this guy is disturbed...cuckoo! :loser:

I feel sorry for the children who are exposed and living around these weirdos. At least the adults will be all set and ready for what will happen to them at the end if it comes in their lifetime.

GreenEyedGirl said:
Yeah, and I'm Mary Magdalene. Seriously, this guy is disturbed...cuckoo! :loser:
So was Jim Jones.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back