Identified! CA - Lake Tahoe, WhtFem 692UFCA, 35-45, Sep'79 - Name not found

teonspaleprincess said:
Yea, with the engraving on the ring, etc. I guess certain cases from the past could only be pursued so much before they ran cold. With the internet and technology today, I'll be a lot of old cases could be solved if someone had the time to dedicate doing all of the research.

I just don't know enough about this websleuthing I guess. I was thinking that maybe 'Mac' was a mistake... and I found a DonaMae Bayerl who was 38 who went missing in 1979 from Wisconsin. Maybe the ring actually said 'To Mae from PNB'. But I don't know how to search further.... I can't find any information on DonaMae to see if she was ever married to someone with the initials PNB. ( I know, it's a longshot)

Are there tricks to sleuthing?

i always search http://theyaremissed.org and http://missingkids.com
because you can search by many different variables.

Next, I go to the state's missing persons' clearinghouse and search through there. Some state's sites are better than others, and sadly, some state's don't have a clearinghouse at all. Texas has an extensive one, but you can only search by last name and there is no way to filter it out anymore, which REALLY bugs me. I like to seach neighboring states too, in case they crossed state lines.

If I still don't see anything that catches my eye there, then I head on to the doe network and NAMPN websites and search by timeline.

Sadly though, you can do all the searching you want, but if the person hasn't been reported missing, it's hopeless.

This article is 13 years old, but contains details not found on DoeNet.

Twenty years later, murder victim remains unknown

Detective Don Atkinson said an autopsy of the woman's body revealed she died from asphyxiation and brain hemorrhaging. From tracks it appeared that the woman was chased and then her body dragged about 100 yards into the brush. She was found sprawled on her stomach, her features unrecognizable after the savage beating.

She was wearing blue jeans and a lavender pullover T-shirt. Wooden-soled sandals were found in the area. Her attacker had no interest in her jewelry. She was left with several rings, a watch, bracelet, necklace and her wedding band. The inscription inside read "To Mack from PNB."

I wish we could see a photo of the ring, because I've seen the inscription noted three ways now:

1. To MAC from PNB
  2. To Mac from PNB
  3. To Mack from PNB

This is definitely solvable... I think it just needs more exposure? Someone who loves and is missing this woman would instantly recognize the inscription on the ring, I think.

PS the peeps who found her sound a bit sketchy... hope they were thoroughly investigated and cleared.

JMO
It seems most likely if you were going to inscribe a ring it would be the same for both sets.
I mean:
From Joe to Jane
From JS to JJ
From Joe Smith to Jane Jones

So I would guess it was
From MAC to PNB.
But, was this a wedding ring? Because I wouldn't imagine you would use initials like that. It could be a friendship ring or promise ring...

Maybe the middle letter is a nickname?

My thinking (though it might not be accurate) is that if she is wearing the ring, she would be "Mac" (the recipient), not PNB (the giver of the ring).

Mac isn't normally a woman's name, unless it is her initials "MAC".

Priscilla Anne Blevins
Missing since January 1, 1975 from Charlotte, Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
?

Oh, oops. I did it too, picked a middle initial A.........

What about Madeline Babcock? No idea on a middle initial, or if she could have had a maiden name beginning with C. Maybe we can try to use Ancestry to find out.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/7003/306/

Madeline was LKA living in California
Madeline disappeared in 68, long prior, but her disappearance could well have been voluntary.

Here is Madeline:

692UFCA.jpg

Charley project lists her maiden and previous married names, and none of them are "C"
s... :((( Her middle name is A though...so unless there is any chance that MAC was actually MAP or MAL, I don't think this is her...:(

I was trying to think of M names that shorten nicknames that start with a different letter, so they may be on Charley or Doe under the nickname, for example:

Michelle = Shelly
Margaret = Peggy, Peg
Melissa = Lissa, Lisa
Melinda = Linda

If it is really to Mac from PNB, Mac could be an affectionate nickname short for a last name like MacBean, MacDowell, etc.

Not many people go to state parks by themselves. So I am guessing she was with a husband or boyfriend and he was her killer. Perhaps she hasn't even been reported- it is the typical "she left me" scenario that we see all the time around here. But her age is young enough that I would think she would have parents or siblings alive to question a disappearance. She might even have had kids...

I wonder what the other rings looked like and where all the rings were placed. It is entirely possible that this "wedding ring" was an heirloom ring (from a grandparents marriage or something) that she wore out of sentimental reasons. Wearing it on a different finger would suggest that and stop us from continuing to explore the MAC stuff.

I am going to go look around for Lake Tahoe missing persons. I remember there was a nurse or something that went missing around 1980 or so.
Just thinking aloud folks...

EDIT: So the woman I was thinking of went missing in 1970. So I am off by ten years or so. But I stumbled across discussion of this Doe in another thread about Toliver or Tolliver, a man who scammed and killed women (including his wife, allegedly) during this time frame and area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghost246
Back