GA - Body of newborn found in gym bag, Sandy Springs, 11 March 2007

Spazkat9696

Former Member
Reaction score
"Police are trying to determine who left the bag and have been canvassing residents in neighborhoods near the site where the body was found and contacting hospitals for information about recent births"

I can't understand this no matter how hard I try.
Sorry if this has been posted already I searched but did not see it.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7006718794

This is just awful..

I dont think there is any way to understand it. ..there is just no reasonable understanding of how anyone could just leave a newborn in a gym bag on their own .. knowing that they are unlikely to survive especially when there is an option .. with no questions asked..

Two words. SAFE HAVEN. The entire world knows about what makes the daily everyday news. Politics, terrorists, celebrities. weather, sports, and maybe the lotto.

In this day and age, why do women still believe their best option is to discard a child?

I think that it is really sad that a little boy was the one that found it. He will always remember that.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/sandysprings/stories/2007/03/12/0313metbaby.html

Still looking for the mom, I hope they find her. I wish this was getting more coverage the bag seems recognizable. Of course if the people in this girls life didn't realize she was going to have a baby, they most likley won't notice a missing bag. Unless the the people in this girls life spent so much time at the gym they missed the pregnancy but notice the gym bag missing. I say girl because this is not the act of a woman but a child, no matter what her age is.

Cubby said:
Two words. SAFE HAVEN. The entire world knows about what makes the daily everyday news. Politics, terrorists, celebrities. weather, sports, and maybe the lotto.

In this day and age, why do women still believe their best option is to discard a child?
Not enough advertising on that. Wish there were public service media campaigns in Safe Haven states. Those commercials should be run on stations like MTV, VH1, Nicolodeon, etc. The ones young people and teens frequently watch. Also ad banners on popular websites, YouTube, MySpace. I think this happens because the teens don't have a clue they CAN leave their baby in a safe place with no questions asked. From what I've read, these mothers are usually very young and scared their "secret" will be found out. They ruin their whole lives because they are scared and don't know what to do.

Cubby said:

terribly sad, but safe haven only counts for 3 days. thats not enough.

too many dont know about it. i didnt until i came to ws, and im 31.

i think there should be a law that if a mother really cant handle being a parent, she should be able to leave the child at any safe place at whatever age.

Mira said:

i think there should be a law that if a mother really cant handle being a parent, she should be able to leave the child at any safe place at whatever age.
There would be a run on teenagers being left there.

:laugh: :laugh:
GlitchWizard said:
There would be a run on teenagers being left there.
A few years ago, If I coulda, I surely woulda!!!

This is so sad. I actually feel like I can understand why a girl would discard her baby. To a stressd, immature, scared, selfish child, I'm sure an unwanted pregnancy feels like a problem, not a person.

I too think that most people do not know about Safe Haven - especially the people most likely to benefit from its protection. Sad as it is, each time an abandoned infant is found, the Safe Haven law gets more exposure. I wish we would advertise its existence somewhere other than over the graves of unwanted newborns.

southcitymom said:
This is so sad. I actually feel like I can understand why a girl would discard her baby. To a stressd, immature, scared, selfish child, I'm sure an unwanted pregnancy feels like a problem, not a person.

I too think that most people do not know about Safe Haven - especially the people most likely to benefit from its protection. Sad as it is, each time an abandoned infant is found, the Safe Haven law gets more exposure. I wish we would advertise its existence somewhere other than over the graves of unwanted newborns.
What's sad is the advertising can be done for free to get the word out to these young girls, as a PSA. All media outlets must run a percentage of advertising for free each year, ie PSA's. The actual production of these announcements could be donated by an ad agency or underwritten by a corporation and written off. I had to go find out if Texas was a Safe Haven state, and found out TX was the first state to pass a law.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsafehaven/faq.html

Mira said:

What state are you located in? I think it depends on the State (how many days) because here in Texas it is 60 days.

SadieMae said:
Not enough advertising on that. Wish there were public service media campaigns in Safe Haven states. Those commercials should be run on stations like MTV, VH1, Nicolodeon, etc. The ones young people and teens frequently watch. Also ad banners on popular websites, YouTube, MySpace. I think this happens because the teens don't have a clue they CAN leave their baby in a safe place with no questions asked. From what I've read, these mothers are usually very young and scared their "secret" will be found out. They ruin their whole lives because they are scared and don't know what to do.
I think this is a great idea. Especially advertising on MTV, Nick, etc. Places where kids would see it.

It must vary by state. The link I posted above says it's 30 day for NJ. The have a great tag line...just wish more knew about it....

877-839-2339.gif

SadieMae said:
What's sad is the advertising can be done for free to get the word out to these young girls, as a PSA. All media outlets must run a percentage of advertising for free each year, ie PSA's. The actual production of these announcements could be donated by an ad agency or underwritten by a corporation and written off. I had to go find out if Texas was a Safe Haven state, and found out TX was the first state to pass a law.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsafehaven/faq.html
I wonder who we could contact asking that more PSAs be made about this? I will do a little research on that tonight.

southcitymom said:
I wonder who we could contact asking that more PSAs be made about this? I will do a little research on that tonight.
When I was in the agency business, I would contact the local sales reps to arrange PSA air time. Each network/cable station had a rep that handled national ads also for the market. Cable stations like Lifetime, MTV, etc do have national ad managers. But the best place to start is the local sales manager for the networks, and cable providers. They get their air schedules from the corp sales offices of the various cable stations, so they would know who to talk to. Being an agency we produced local PSA spots for an animal rescue, the PD on juvenile crimes, charity events and others. We even used our kids in a couple of them, they worked for pizza back then. :D

Would probaby start this campaign in the major markets, NY, Boston, Dallas, Chicago, etc. The smaller cable markets & network stations could pick up the spots for "filler" when there are no paid ads running, or they need to meet their PSA quota. All they would have to do is request the spot. It's been 9 years since I've been in the business, but that's how I would get it rolling.

I went back to the link I posted for NJ, and apparently they did have tv and radio announcements made. But the last updates were from 2001 on press releases.
http://www.state.nj.us/njsafehaven/downloads.html

I wonder if other state did awareness campaigns when the act was passed in their state. Maybe these need to be run again. Might only involve paying residuals to the talent in the spots which I think the state should pay. Would be well worth it to put the word out again, and maybe save a baby's life. I don't recall ever seeing one in TX.

Seriously is there a knowledgeble person out there that has an inkling on how to get national attention, national day. As I have said before though one woman dropped her child off and they were searching for her via all the media if its safe haven no questions asked why work so hard on trying to find the mother. Which made other women aware that it isn't no questions asked.

mom3dd said:
Seriously is there a knowledgeble person out there that has an inkling on how to get national attention, national day. As I have said before though one woman dropped her child off and they were searching for her via all the media if its safe haven no questions asked why work so hard on trying to find the mother. Which made other women aware that it isn't no questions asked.
Where did that happen? It's not supposed to IF it's in a Safe Haven state. I think all but 17 states have a Safe Haven act. If she dropped her child off in one without it, yes, they would probably treat it as a crime, abandonment.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
archangel78100
Back