GUILTY TX - Brandon Baugh, 3 mos, dies of head injuries, Pflugerville, 21 Jan 1994

I remembered when they found little Brandon. Temple is about 14 miles from me. I'm not sure I agreed with her DP sentence, even though I am FOR the DP. She wouldn't be there if she had call LE immediately...I think she panicked and did some real stupid moves. But maybe the jury heard much more and thought she deserved it. JMO.

ETA: I have no doubt Darlie deserves her sentence.

SadieMae said:
I remembered when they found little Brandon. Temple is about 14 miles from me. I'm not sure I agreed with her DP sentence, even though I am FOR the DP. She wouldn't be there if she had call LE immediately...I think she panicked and did some real stupid moves. But maybe the jury heard much more and thought she deserved it. JMO.
Whats the story about this? I have not heard, I looked but could not find anything?

Cathy Henderson has been granted a stay of execution.....

I heard that also, for 90 days I think. Next date should be sometime in June.

Sounds as if it might be shaping up like the Nanny case, Louise Woodward. I hope not, she got away with murder IMO.

"Although doctors at her trial testified that Brandon’s head injury could not have been the result of an accident, her lawyers said the new evidence would show that it could have been."

“We still have a long way to go,” said George Cumming, one of the lawyers representing Henderson. “Now we’ve got some time to do it.”

Babysitter Facing Death for Slaying 3-Month-Old

The offer of child care posted on a message board at the entrance to his suburban Austin neighborhood caught Eryn Baugh's attention.

Babysitter Cathy Lynn Henderson, who lived two blocks away from the Baughs, appeared to be a perfect fit for their infant son Brandon and his 2-year-old sister Megan.

"She's the most sweet endearing person in the world and put forward this good Christian front," Baugh said of Henderson. "She could sell sell snow to an Eskimo."

Henderson, now 50, is set to die in less than three weeks for the death of Brandon Baugh, a slaying that in early 1994 made her one of the most hated women in Texas. Henderson, whose case has been championed by Sister Helen Prejean of "Dead Man Walking" fame, insists the baby died in an accidental fall and that her decision to bury him and flee was made in panic, not cold blood.

Henderson and 3-month-old Brandon disappeared weeks after she began caring for him. Search teams fanned out over three Central Texas counties, but it wasn't until her attorney was forced by a court to turn over a crude map she had made did authorities find the boy 18 days later.

Brandon was dead, buried near an oat field between two elm trees along a gravel path known as Short Cut Road about 60 miles north of his home town of Pflugerville. The 12-pound child, his skull crushed, was wrapped in his yellow-trimmed white blanket and stuffed into a taped-shut box that previously held Bartles & Jaymes wine coolers.

Much more at link.

The injuries could not have resulted from a fall of less than four feet, Bayardo testified, adding: "He would have to have fallen from higher than a two-story building."

Henderson's new testimony hinges on research by Dr. John Plunkett, a Minnesota forensic pathologist who studied fatal playground accidents to conclude that low-speed impacts could cause significant skull fractures in children.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/05/25/25henderson.html

The injuries could not have resulted from a fall of less than four feet, Bayardo testified, adding: "He would have to have fallen from higher than a two-story building."

Henderson's new testimony hinges on research by Dr. John Plunkett, a Minnesota forensic pathologist who studied fatal playground accidents to conclude that low-speed impacts could cause significant skull fractures in children.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/05/25/25henderson.html

THIS babysitter's story doesn't sit right with me....you panic and bury a baby in a wine cooler? That makes no sense to me.

However, based on Bayardo's statement, I think it's possible that many people may have been convicted of child abuse when accidental falls occured:

"Had the new scientific information been available to me in 1995, I would not have been able to testify the way I did," Bayardo said in a signed affidavit provided to a Texas court as part of an appeal filed Thursday on Henderson's behalf.

Henderson's appeal draws on recent research, disputed by prosecutors, that shows infants can sustain fatal head injuries far more easily than once believed.

"Based on the physical evidence in the case, I cannot determine with a reasonable degree of medical certainty whether Brandon Baugh's injuries resulted from an intentional act or an accidental fall," wrote Bayardo, who retired last year after 28 years as the Travis County medical examiner. Bayardo also stated that he was not paid for providing the statement.

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...sitter-death-row-inmate-/nkRZH/#__federated=1

Cathy Lynn Henderson, a former babysitter once on death row for the 1994 death of an infant, has been scheduled to stand retrial on Sept. 21...

Henderson, who made an appearance in the courtroom, is charged with capital murder in the death of 3-month-old Brandon Baugh. She is no longer facing the death penalty but could be punished with life in prison if she is convicted...

Henderson, 58, spent nearly two decades in prison for killing the baby before a sharply divided Court of Criminal Appeals overturned her capital murder conviction and sentence in December 2012.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back