1049 users online (249 members and 800 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New leopard species--WOW!!

New Leopard Species Found in Borneo

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (March 15) - The clouded leopard of Borneo - discovered to be an entirely new species - is the latest in a growing list of animals and plants unique to the Southeast Asian country's rainforest and underscores the need to preserve the area, conservationists said Thursday.

Genetic tests by researchers at the U.S. National Cancer Institute revealed that the clouded leopard of Borneo and Sumatra islands is a unique cat species and not the same one found in mainland Southeast Asia as long believed, said a statement by WWF, the global conservation organization.

"Who said a leopard can never change its spots? For over a hundred years we have been looking at this animal and never realized it was unique," said Stuart Chapman, WWF International Coordinator of the Heart of Borneo program, which is dedicated to preserving the flora and fauna in the deep jungles on Borneo.

The secretive clouded leopards are the biggest predators on Borneo, growing sometimes to the size of a small panther. They have the longest canine teeth relative to body size of any cat.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001

Buzz..........thanks for posting. What a magnificent animal. Absolutely gorgeous!

xxxxxxxxxoooo
    mama

Looks kind of like a .. um.. SNAKE skin...

This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Buzz, thanks for the post. They are beautiful animals, and yes, I was reminded of snake skin!

What an awesome animal and awesome camouflage there. Man, I love kitties.

Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    Beautiful! Nice to hear a story about an animal that has been discovered instead of one that has been declared extinct.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine
    Beautiful! Nice to hear a story about an animal that has been discovered instead of one that has been declared extinct.
    Of course, the leopards are saying, "Discovered? Like hell! We've known where we were all along!"

Awesome cat--great discovery

Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    Of course, the leopards are saying, "Discovered? Like hell! We've known where we were all along!"
    That was an awfully long game of hide and seek.

That's amazing

There's still lots to discover about Planet Earth

Free Tibet! and save Borneo!

My 14yo daughter who loves cats said this clouded leopard is not a new discovery at all (it's been around forever), but they finally made it public that it is genetically different than the typical leopard. And here I thought I had something to show her...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by fivekidz4me
    My 14yo daughter who loves cats said this clouded leopard is not a new discovery at all (it's been around forever), but they finally made it public that it is genetically different than the typical leopard. And here I thought I had something to show her...lol!
    lol

Kids huh

My 8yr old tells me stuff all the time that I don't know- he's infinitely smarter than me already-lol

Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova
    True...how funny us "humans" are, huh??? We just stumble upon something and discover it.... Now, those leopards are thinkin' "Oh great, now that they know we're here, what do they have in store for us??".

She should be on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"!!

My kids are the same way. I knew all that stuff once, but it's long gone.

This morning I was asking myself exactly WHY my 10 yr old needed to memorize the names of all the parts of a flower. I knew them once, but probably haven't used that knowledge since 4th grade!

You know five, when I saw this article I googled the leopard and your daughter is absolutely right....there was lots of info!!
    He is a beautiful little creature though...I'd love one for a pet!!! Wouldn't that be cool??!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast