New leopard species--WOW!!

Buzz Mills

Reaction score
Website
forumsforjustice.com
New Leopard Species Found in Borneo

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (March 15) - The clouded leopard of Borneo - discovered to be an entirely new species - is the latest in a growing list of animals and plants unique to the Southeast Asian country's rainforest and underscores the need to preserve the area, conservationists said Thursday.

Genetic tests by researchers at the U.S. National Cancer Institute revealed that the clouded leopard of Borneo and Sumatra islands is a unique cat species and not the same one found in mainland Southeast Asia as long believed, said a statement by WWF, the global conservation organization.

"Who said a leopard can never change its spots? For over a hundred years we have been looking at this animal and never realized it was unique," said Stuart Chapman, WWF International Coordinator of the Heart of Borneo program, which is dedicated to preserving the flora and fauna in the deep jungles on Borneo.

The secretive clouded leopards are the biggest predators on Borneo, growing sometimes to the size of a small panther. They have the longest canine teeth relative to body size of any cat.

http://news.aol.com/topnews/article...o/20070315080509990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Buzz..........thanks for posting. What a magnificent animal. Absolutely gorgeous!

xxxxxxxxxoooo
mama :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Looks kind of like a .. um.. SNAKE skin... ;)

Buzz, thanks for the post. They are beautiful animals, and yes, I was reminded of snake skin!

What an awesome animal and awesome camouflage there. Man, I love kitties. :eek:

Beautiful! Nice to hear a story about an animal that has been discovered instead of one that has been declared extinct.

KrisNine said:
Beautiful! Nice to hear a story about an animal that has been discovered instead of one that has been declared extinct.

Of course, the leopards are saying, "Discovered? Like hell! We've known where we were all along!"

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Nova said:
Of course, the leopards are saying, "Discovered? Like hell! We've known where we were all along!"
That was an awfully long game of hide and seek.

That's amazing

There's still lots to discover about Planet Earth

Free Tibet! and save Borneo!

My 14yo daughter who loves cats said this clouded leopard is not a new discovery at all (it's been around forever), but they finally made it public that it is genetically different than the typical leopard. And here I thought I had something to show her...lol!

fivekidz4me said:
My 14yo daughter who loves cats said this clouded leopard is not a new discovery at all (it's been around forever), but they finally made it public that it is genetically different than the typical leopard. And here I thought I had something to show her...lol!
lol

Kids huh :blowkiss:

My 8yr old tells me stuff all the time that I don't know- he's infinitely smarter than me already-lol

Nova said:
True...how funny us "humans" are, huh??? We just stumble upon something and discover it.... :) Now, those leopards are thinkin' "Oh great, now that they know we're here, what do they have in store for us??".

fivekidz4me said:
She should be on "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?"!!

My kids are the same way. I knew all that stuff once, but it's long gone.

This morning I was asking myself exactly WHY my 10 yr old needed to memorize the names of all the parts of a flower. I knew them once, but probably haven't used that knowledge since 4th grade!

fivekidz4me said:
You know five, when I saw this article I googled the leopard and your daughter is absolutely right....there was lots of info!!
He is a beautiful little creature though...I'd love one for a pet!!! Wouldn't that be cool??!!!!:cool:

fivekidz4me said:
She must have read the article, as that is what it says. Give her an "A."

I love, and admire, cats, big, or small. They are amazing creatures.

What a beautiful Leopard. Does anyone notice that narlacat's siggy kitten resembles that clouded leopard? We should ask him where he has been. lol

I hope there is a way to preserve vital habitat for those clouded leopards. They said there are between 5,000 and 11,000 on Borneo.

Lion

narlacat said:
lol

Kids huh :blowkiss:

My 8yr old tells me stuff all the time that I don't know- he's infinitely smarter than me already-lol

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthseeker158
Back