1291 users online (232 members and 1059 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 461
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    lala land
    Posts
    9,620

    IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

    I'm sure everyone is already aware of the tainted food and the dangers it poses to dogs and cats, but you might not have seen the updated list. More foods have been added.

    http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    23,626
    I am so glad that my cats didn't like the cuts with gravy.

    Their wet food, which they only get once a week, is pretty much Friskies tuna w/egg cats, and sometimes a little salmon. Otherwise it is dry Iams.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    4,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabel View Post
    I'm sure everyone is already aware of the tainted food and the dangers it poses to dogs and cats, but you might not have seen the updated list. More foods have been added.

    http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html
    What really bothers me is that the "high priced" foods are made at the same place and the same ingredients as the bargain food is. I never knew MenuFoods made so many brands! Thankfully I don't feed mine any of those on the list. It really sickens me that they KNEW something was WRONG and it killed animals eating their foods LAST month.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    23,626
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    What really bothers me is that the "high priced" foods are made at the same place and the same ingredients as the bargain food is. I never knew MenuFoods made so many brands! Thankfully I don't feed mine any of those on the list. It really sickens me that they KNEW something was WRONG and it killed animals eating their foods LAST month.
    Menu foods almost has a monopoly. They may run different grades for the different labels--at least let's hope so.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    lala land
    Posts
    9,620
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    What really bothers me is that the "high priced" foods are made at the same place and the same ingredients as the bargain food is. I never knew MenuFoods made so many brands! Thankfully I don't feed mine any of those on the list. It really sickens me that they KNEW something was WRONG and it killed animals eating their foods LAST month.
    It is appalling. One out of six animals that they tested the food on died, yet they waited a month to issue a recall. The only upside is that this will probably put Menufoods out of business.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    My vet determined that this is what killed my dog last week. I assumed it was that she was old with heartworms, but he said no, it wasn't that. She died of kidney failure by the food (It was Old Roy brand from Wal Mart.) The thing that kills me is seeing that only a "handful" of pets died, they keep reporting - but just in my town, my mother has a student whose cat is under intense treatment and might die, and a colleuge whose cat died. If my Mom (who doesn't get out much) knows three people affected by this, there is no way that only a handful of pets died. It has to be thousands. :-(
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida
    Posts
    3,358
    Wheat Gluten (the ingredient they said might be the culpret) is used in human food too. I wonder if their supplier supplies other companies as well as pet food companies?
    FUN... is a renewable resource!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    118

    Homemade Dog Food

    I have always cooked for my doggies. Years ago, a neighbor of mine who had raised, bred and showed dogs in England for years, told me how to make good homemade dog food. She said to take ground beef or turkey, boil it with brown rice and add mixed vegs. My dogs love it.

    When I was a kid -- back in the dark ages -- there was no commercial dog food. We fed our dogs from the table. Our family dog lived to be almost 18 and was run over by a car on his daily walk.
    ******************************
    "Religions are like swimming pools, most of the noise comes from the shallow end." -Bishop Shelby Spong
    *******************************

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,320
    What in the world could be wrong with wheat gluten that it could kill? It doesn't seem like real meat or chicken that could become contaminated thru massive bacteria. I guess I don't know enough about the perils of wheat gluten, do I!

    Seems strange lately with all of the things that have gone bad on a national level... peanut butter (all of the shelves in my stores are still empty), lettuce, spinach, pet food, etc. Is someone trying to wipe us all out, including out pets?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    My little babies weren't feeling well a few weeks back and now I know why.. I was feeding them Nutro pouches, not daily though. Pebbles threw up a few times in one evening. Corn Dog had the runs something awful. They also didn't want to eat which is very unusal. I threw out the pouches and started to feed them Dick VanPatten (sp?) food and they seem to be ok now.. I also give them fresh meat that I make just for them. I boil chicken breasts and I cook up some steaks to feed them.. I also give them potatoes and yams along with their dry food..


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,629
    I only feed my dogs Science Diet dry food. For the winter they all get Lamb and Rice small bites. I get the small bites to accomodate my two small dogs as well as the larger two. They're happy and they absorb more with less poop to pick up.

    My indoor cats also get Science Diet dry food. The litter box tells the difference since they've been getting it. Really easy to clean. Outside cats get a cheaper brand, but only dry.

    I am so glad I spend extra money to feed them what the vet said was the best. I'd be heartbroken to lose one of my precious pets.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA - I'm officially a "Valley Girl"
    Posts
    1,414
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    My little babies weren't feeling well a few weeks back and now I know why.. I was feeding them Nutro pouches, not daily though. Pebbles threw up a few times in one evening. Corn Dog had the runs something awful. They also didn't want to eat which is very unusal. I threw out the pouches and started to feed them Dick VanPatten (sp?) food and they seem to be ok now.. I also give them fresh meat that I make just for them. I boil chicken breasts and I cook up some steaks to feed them.. I also give them potatoes and yams along with their dry food..
    This happened to me and my cats. They didn't really want to eat and I have eaters. I thought they didn't like the little bits of wet food I was mixing in with the dry. Turns out, they knew something I didn't. I have been giving them Nutro pouches too. Ugh, the guilt I have. I was horrified to think I was poisoning my babies!! They seem to be fine now. All behaviors are normal...eating, drinking, body temp, etc. Vet said to continue to monitor. Boy am I PO'd. Josie eats Nutro dry, but we mix in homemade food instead of canned. We've switched to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance for her (Dry and canned) and the cats are trying out Wellness and Dick Van Patten. They LOVE it.
    ______________________________


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae View Post
    What really bothers me is that the "high priced" foods are made at the same place and the same ingredients as the bargain food is. I never knew MenuFoods made so many brands!
    I was surprised at tha myself.

    Our cats eat Nutro. Thank goodness none of the recalled food is on the list. I ended up tossing the pouches anyway. I suppose I should have returned them to the store, but I just tossed them.

    I also use the small cans of Nutro, but none of those were part of the recall.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,932
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitchWizard View Post
    My vet determined that this is what killed my dog last week. I assumed it was that she was old with heartworms, but he said no, it wasn't that. She died of kidney failure by the food (It was Old Roy brand from Wal Mart.) The thing that kills me is seeing that only a "handful" of pets died, they keep reporting - but just in my town, my mother has a student whose cat is under intense treatment and might die, and a colleuge whose cat died. If my Mom (who doesn't get out much) knows three people affected by this, there is no way that only a handful of pets died. It has to be thousands. :-(
    I'm so sorry you lost your dog.

    I'll bet you're right...there are more dog and cat deaths that probably was caused by this food.

    I feel terrible for anyone who's pet was sick or died. My pets are like my babies.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    This happened to me and my cats. They didn't really want to eat and I have eaters. I thought they didn't like the little bits of wet food I was mixing in with the dry. Turns out, they knew something I didn't. I have been giving them Nutro pouches too. Ugh, the guilt I have. I was horrified to think I was poisoning my babies!! They seem to be fine now. All behaviors are normal...eating, drinking, body temp, etc. Vet said to continue to monitor. Boy am I PO'd. Josie eats Nutro dry, but we mix in homemade food instead of canned. We've switched to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance for her (Dry and canned) and the cats are trying out Wellness and Dick Van Patten. They LOVE it.

    I'm PO'd too It still bothers me. I'm afraid now to feed them any store bought food. I threw out all my dog food except for my dry Dick van Patten... Still, I'm even worried about that one... I checked their website and they said that they are not part of the recall so hopefully my babies are fine... However, they are still a little hesitant to eat their food and it maybe because of the memory of when they were sick. I used the dry food mixed with the pouches so maybe they think the dry food is was causing them to be sick... Yup, I'm upset over this...


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Heinz baby food recalled in China
    By BetteDavisEyes in forum Food, Drug & Product Recalls National & International
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2014, 02:46 PM
  2. Iams & Eukanuba Dry Dog and Cat Food Recalled
    By Dark Knight in forum Food, Drug & Product Recalls National & International
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM
  3. Iams Canned Cat Food Recalled
    By Dark Knight in forum Food, Drug & Product Recalls National & International
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-15-2010, 12:43 AM
  4. Veggie Booty snack food recalled
    By Dark Knight in forum Food, Drug & Product Recalls National & International
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 11:29 PM