IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

I am so glad that my cats didn't like the cuts with gravy.

Their wet food, which they only get once a week, is pretty much Friskies tuna w/egg cats, and sometimes a little salmon. Otherwise it is dry Iams.

I'm sure everyone is already aware of the tainted food and the dangers it poses to dogs and cats, but you might not have seen the updated list. More foods have been added.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/index.html
What really bothers me is that the "high priced" foods are made at the same place and the same ingredients as the bargain food is. I never knew MenuFoods made so many brands! Thankfully I don't feed mine any of those on the list. It really sickens me that they KNEW something was WRONG and it killed animals eating their foods LAST month.

What really bothers me is that the "high priced" foods are made at the same place and the same ingredients as the bargain food is. I never knew MenuFoods made so many brands! Thankfully I don't feed mine any of those on the list. It really sickens me that they KNEW something was WRONG and it killed animals eating their foods LAST month.
Menu foods almost has a monopoly. They may run different grades for the different labels--at least let's hope so.

It is appalling. One out of six animals that they tested the food on died, yet they waited a month to issue a recall. The only upside is that this will probably put Menufoods out of business.

My vet determined that this is what killed my dog last week. I assumed it was that she was old with heartworms, but he said no, it wasn't that. She died of kidney failure by the food (It was Old Roy brand from Wal Mart.) The thing that kills me is seeing that only a "handful" of pets died, they keep reporting - but just in my town, my mother has a student whose cat is under intense treatment and might die, and a colleuge whose cat died. If my Mom (who doesn't get out much) knows three people affected by this, there is no way that only a handful of pets died. It has to be thousands. :-(

Wheat Gluten (the ingredient they said might be the culpret) is used in human food too. I wonder if their supplier supplies other companies as well as pet food companies?

I have always cooked for my doggies. Years ago, a neighbor of mine who had raised, bred and showed dogs in England for years, told me how to make good homemade dog food. She said to take ground beef or turkey, boil it with brown rice and add mixed vegs. My dogs love it.

When I was a kid -- back in the dark ages -- there was no commercial dog food. We fed our dogs from the table. Our family dog lived to be almost 18 and was run over by a car on his daily walk.

What in the world could be wrong with wheat gluten that it could kill? It doesn't seem like real meat or chicken that could become contaminated thru massive bacteria. I guess I don't know enough about the perils of wheat gluten, do I!

Seems strange lately with all of the things that have gone bad on a national level... peanut butter (all of the shelves in my stores are still empty), lettuce, spinach, pet food, etc. Is someone trying to wipe us all out, including out pets?

My little babies weren't feeling well a few weeks back and now I know why.. I was feeding them Nutro pouches, not daily though. Pebbles threw up a few times in one evening. Corn Dog had the runs something awful. They also didn't want to eat which is very unusal. I threw out the pouches and started to feed them Dick VanPatten (sp?) food and they seem to be ok now.. I also give them fresh meat that I make just for them. I boil chicken breasts and I cook up some steaks to feed them.. I also give them potatoes and yams along with their dry food..

I only feed my dogs Science Diet dry food. For the winter they all get Lamb and Rice small bites. I get the small bites to accomodate my two small dogs as well as the larger two. They're happy and they absorb more with less poop to pick up.

My indoor cats also get Science Diet dry food. The litter box tells the difference since they've been getting it. Really easy to clean. Outside cats get a cheaper brand, but only dry.

I am so glad I spend extra money to feed them what the vet said was the best. I'd be heartbroken to lose one of my precious pets.

My little babies weren't feeling well a few weeks back and now I know why.. I was feeding them Nutro pouches, not daily though. Pebbles threw up a few times in one evening. Corn Dog had the runs something awful. They also didn't want to eat which is very unusal. I threw out the pouches and started to feed them Dick VanPatten (sp?) food and they seem to be ok now.. I also give them fresh meat that I make just for them. I boil chicken breasts and I cook up some steaks to feed them.. I also give them potatoes and yams along with their dry food..

This happened to me and my cats. They didn't really want to eat and I have eaters. I thought they didn't like the little bits of wet food I was mixing in with the dry. Turns out, they knew something I didn't. I have been giving them Nutro pouches too. Ugh, the guilt I have. I was horrified to think I was poisoning my babies!! They seem to be fine now. All behaviors are normal...eating, drinking, body temp, etc. Vet said to continue to monitor. Boy am I PO'd. Josie eats Nutro dry, but we mix in homemade food instead of canned. We've switched to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance for her (Dry and canned) and the cats are trying out Wellness and Dick Van Patten. They LOVE it.

What really bothers me is that the "high priced" foods are made at the same place and the same ingredients as the bargain food is. I never knew MenuFoods made so many brands!

I was surprised at tha myself.

Our cats eat Nutro. Thank goodness none of the recalled food is on the list. I ended up tossing the pouches anyway. I suppose I should have returned them to the store, but I just tossed them.

I also use the small cans of Nutro, but none of those were part of the recall.

My vet determined that this is what killed my dog last week. I assumed it was that she was old with heartworms, but he said no, it wasn't that. She died of kidney failure by the food (It was Old Roy brand from Wal Mart.) The thing that kills me is seeing that only a "handful" of pets died, they keep reporting - but just in my town, my mother has a student whose cat is under intense treatment and might die, and a colleuge whose cat died. If my Mom (who doesn't get out much) knows three people affected by this, there is no way that only a handful of pets died. It has to be thousands. :-(

I'm so sorry you lost your dog. :(

I'll bet you're right...there are more dog and cat deaths that probably was caused by this food.

I feel terrible for anyone who's pet was sick or died. My pets are like my babies.

This happened to me and my cats. They didn't really want to eat and I have eaters. I thought they didn't like the little bits of wet food I was mixing in with the dry. Turns out, they knew something I didn't. I have been giving them Nutro pouches too. Ugh, the guilt I have. I was horrified to think I was poisoning my babies!! They seem to be fine now. All behaviors are normal...eating, drinking, body temp, etc. Vet said to continue to monitor. Boy am I PO'd. Josie eats Nutro dry, but we mix in homemade food instead of canned. We've switched to Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance for her (Dry and canned) and the cats are trying out Wellness and Dick Van Patten. They LOVE it.

I'm PO'd too :mad: It still bothers me. I'm afraid now to feed them any store bought food. I threw out all my dog food except for my dry Dick van Patten... Still, I'm even worried about that one... I checked their website and they said that they are not part of the recall so hopefully my babies are fine... However, they are still a little hesitant to eat their food and it maybe because of the memory of when they were sick. I used the dry food mixed with the pouches so maybe they think the dry food is was causing them to be sick... Yup, I'm upset over this...

Our dog only eats Purina Beneful dry food, thank goodness. GlitchWizard, I'm so sorry about your doggie. :blowkiss: This whole thing infuriates me, especially the way the FDA is protecting MenuFoods' sources.

Glitch...my heart goes out to you:blowkiss: I'm so sorry for the loss of your furry baby.

I hope we can send a message to Menu Foods that they can't get away with this.

On our news last night, it was said that the number will be much higher when all is said and done. How sad. So many people have sick pets and don;t know why! One vet in Studio City has already had a handful of pets. 8 pets in LA county. 4 have died!! 2 cats and 2 dogs! This is shameful. I've heard it was all for Menu Foods to save a buck. They started using a cheaper supplier of wheat gluten. That's what the rumor is.

Ol Roy (dry) was listed as the best nutrition wise to feed dogs according to consumer reports a few years ago.

Does anyone know how long the food has been tainted?
Its only the moist food right?

Glitch, I am so very, very sorry.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galluvstrucrime