Zodiac: The Movie

T-Rex

Reaction score
Just saw it--wow--it was great!
I never followed the case, though, and I'm sure they took lots of liberties.
Wondering what everyone else thought.

I had read that the director took great pains to be as accurate as possible and that's one of the reasons the film is so long. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know how much he had to deviate from the book.

I saw it, and I think it was very well done. I really liked it, and so the did the rest of the audience it seemed. I think they were pretty accurate concerning the facts of the case. Even when there are theories and speculations that emerge they make sure we can distinguish between the two, which is often not the case in docudramas.

Lion

Great movie - not really a thriller, but an accurate police detective procedural regarding this case. I think most Websleuthers will like this one a lot! Robert Downey Jr. steals every scene he is in!

Zodiac, the latest Fincher ('se7en', 'fight club') masterwork. Not to be confused with the vastly inferior flick "the zodiac" released a couple of years earlier, starring Robin Tunney (she of 'the craft' and 'prison break').

We thought this was a great film, as well. The two teenagers sitting in front of us were mad at the ending, though. I don't think they realized going in that there wasn't going to be an arrest...

I had read Robert Graysmith's book back in the college days, so a lot of the film was familiar to me. But, there were things that happened since his book left off that were new. Also, I don't remember as much of his personal life being in the book, but I may just be recalling it incorrectly.

Even my husband likes the movie, and he usually just watches that stuff because I'm watching it :)

I saw it, and I think it was very well done. I really liked it, and so the did the rest of the audience it seemed. I think they were pretty accurate concerning the facts of the case. Even when there are theories and speculations that emerge they make sure we can distinguish between the two, which is often not the case in docudramas.

Lion

I will be seeing it tomorrow! I'm excited now, with the reviews here.

Thanks

Lion

Very, very well put, Lion. I have read the book on which the film is based and that was exactly my impression. And even though the movie reflects the writer's strong conviction as to the identity of the killer, it makes it quite clear this could never be proved.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! I'm so tired of movies about car chases; Zodiac actually downplays the frenzy of activity immediately following the shooting of the cab driver.

I saw Zodiac on opening night (couldn't get there fast enough)! Excellent movie...well done in everyway. I usually don't like long movies, but didn't even realize this one was close to 3 hours, it left me wanting more...

We thought this was a great film, as well. The two teenagers sitting in front of us were mad at the ending, though. I don't think they realized going in that there wasn't going to be an arrest...

That is so funny because when I saw the movie with my sister she leaned over to me at one point and said "the ending better be really good." I just grinned.....

I thought there was a long stretch in the middle that they weren't giving us a lot of information, so it seemed to be going pretty slow....but other than that, I thought the film was excellent. Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey did a fantastic job.

Thank you Nova:). I liked it so much that I would see it again!

Lion

Very, very well put, Lion. I have read the book on which the film is based and that was exactly my impression. And even though the movie reflects the writer's strong conviction as to the identity of the killer, it makes it quite clear this could never be proved.

Loved it, loved it, loved it! I'm so tired of movies about car chases; Zodiac actually downplays the frenzy of activity immediately following the shooting of the cab driver.

I never really followed the case at the time although I had heard about it many years ago. I truly enjoyed the movie and have my own copy. Recently I got the "Director's Cut" which has many interviews with surviving principles.

I have a question for anyone with an answer. Does anyone know of a fact that could be said to exclude ALA? I've labored long and hard to find something but can't come up with it. Many people believe that Graysmith made several factual mistakes which may or may not be true, but leaving that aside, I'm unable to find a way to exclude him.

That's an interesting question, Missouri Mule. I don't know, either.

Are there two different versions of this movie? I rented one last year and didn't think it was that great. I think Vince Vaughan played one of the lead detectives in that one. They never showed a character playing the Zodiac, just a voiceover.

But then I saw The Zodiac dvd on the shelves at Hollywood Video last week, with Jake Gylenhaal on the cover. I don't remember him being in the version that I saw. Anyway, just wondering if there are different versions out there, because if so then I may rent the one that I haven't seen.

Are there two different versions of this movie? I rented one last year and didn't think it was that great. I think Vince Vaughan played one of the lead detectives in that one. They never showed a character playing the Zodiac, just a voiceover.

But then I saw The Zodiac dvd on the shelves at Hollywood Video last week, with Jake Gylenhaal on the cover. I don't remember him being in the version that I saw. Anyway, just wondering if there are different versions out there, because if so then I may rent the one that I haven't seen.

yes, there is......the one with Gyllenhaal & Robt Downey Jr is the best one....imo

yes, there is......the one with Gyllenhaal & Robt Downey Jr is the best one....imo

Thanks, I didn't want to rent the same one. But maybe I'll check the Gylenhaal & Downey version out if it's better.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back